• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Here are the current leaders in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes:
TEAM...........W....L.
Minnesota.....2....6
Carolina........2....6
Jacksonville...2....6
Denver..........2....5
Seattle...........2....5
Arizona.........1....6
St. Louis.......1....6
Miami.............0....7
Indianapolis...0....8

Washington has too many wins (3 I think) to make this list.

Now, if I had time it would be interesting to put together predictions for the remaining schedule to see who might come out at the bottom of the list (the winner of the suck for Luck campaign!).

I'll break that down.

Minnesota 2-6: @ GB, Oakland, @Atl, Denver, @Detroit, NO, @Wash, Chicago. - I see them able to beat Denver, Wash, and maybe Chicago. But they have a possible franchise QB in Ponder. Plus, the city just turned down a deal to build a new stadium and the franchise may move (to LA? My hometown of Portland is now talking about building a stadium too).

Carolina 2-6 - Tenn, @Det, @Indy, @TB, ATL, @Hou, TB, @NO. I see them able to win three or more of those. But it won't matter. They have their franchise QB in Cam Newton and would immediately trade the pick away.
Jacksonville 2-6 - @Indy, @Cle, Hou, SD, TB, @Atl, @Ten, Indy. Softest schedule here maybe. Could wind up 5-10, maybe 7-9. Also, have Blain Gabbert, second QB taken in the draft and he's playing well so far.

Denver 2-5 @ OAK, @KC, NHJ, @SD, @Minn, Chi, NE, @Buffalo, KC. Very tough schedule. Could easily go 3-13, maybe 2-14, and if that happens, I'm sure Denver (and Elway) would take Luck and dump Tebow in a heartbeat. I can see them settling for Landry Jones, Matt Barkley, or RG3. But a top QB pick (other than Luck) after taking Tebow may not sit well with fans, or the owners.

Seattle 2-5@Dal, Balt, @StL, Wash, Phi, StL, @Chi, SF, @Ari - Seattle may be the worst team in the NFL on any given day. They should be able to win 2, maybe 3 of these games and finish about 4-12. They would take Luck instantly as well. But may settle for USC's Barkley, who Pete Carroll recruited to USC.

Arizona 1-6 - St.L, @Phi, @SF, @St.L, Dal, SF, Cle, @Cin, Sea. Arizona is much better than 1-6, and I expect them to finish about 5-11 or maybe 6-11. They would however take Luck if they could, but will probably settle for Jones, Barkley, RG3, or wait a round or more.

St. Louis 1-6 - @Ari, @Cle, Sea, Ari, @SF, @Sea, Cin, @Pitt, SF. They should be better than 1-6, but may finish 3-13, who knows. But they don't need a QB, as Bradford was very good last year, and even okay this year despite being sacked more than anyone. They desperately need OL and receiver help.

Miami 0-7 - @KC, Wash, Buff, @DAL, OAK, Phi, @Buf, @NE, NYJ - a very rough schedule, and they could go o-for, but I think will eek out 1 win. Most likely team to get Luck I think. But without a new, big name coach, and more serious management aiming for the future, Luck may refuse to play there.

Indianapolis 0-8 - ATL, JAX, Carolina, @NE, @Balt, Ten, Hou, @Jax An easier schedule than Miami, and if they can win one of the next three games, could pick up another win or two. But Manning is throwing and refuses to go on the DL. If he's able to come back, and play, they could win any of those games. If they win the Luck sweeps, they will either trade him, or (gasp) trade Manning. He may be getting older, but Manning is a future HOF QB and a once in a lifetime player. As good as Luck may be, those are impossibly huge shoes to fill.

I think Miami is going to have the worst record, will fire Tony Sporano and hire as big of name coach they can, and give him great autonomy (Cowher? Gruden? Dungee? And hope that gives Luck enough hope to sign a deal there.

This is what I call put together by hip-shooting, but here are my predictions for the FINAL leaders in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes:
TEAM…………….W…..L…..+
Arizona…………..5.....11…..4
Denver…………..4…..12…...2
Carolina………....3.....13…...1
Jacksonville….….3…..13…..1
Miami…………….3…..13…..3
Minnesota…...…..3…..13…..1
Seattle…………...3…..13…..1
Indianapolis…..….2…..14…..2
St. Louis………….2…..14….1

(columns is a real pain)

...and here is how I got there. (someone please check my math)

WEEK 9.........Predicted Winner
MIA at KC......KC wins
ATL at IND......ATL
SEA at DAL......DAL
DEN at OAK......OAK
STL at ARI......ARI

WEEK 10
ARI at PHI......PHI
TEN at CAR......CAR
WSH at MIA......MIA
JAC at IND......IND
DEN at KC......KC
STL at CLE......CLE
BAL at SEA......BAL

WEEK 11
NYJ at DEN......DEN
CAR at DET......DET
JAC at CLE......CLE
OAK at MIN......OAK
BUF at MIA......BUF
ARI at SF......SF
SEA at STL......STL

WEEK 12
MIA at DAL......DAL
HOU at JAC......HOU
MIN at ATL......ATL
ARI at STL......ARI
CAR at IND......IND
WSH at SEA......WSH
DEN at SD......SD

WEEK 13
PHI at SEA......PHI
CAR at TB......TB
OAK at MIA......MIA
DEN at MIN......DEN
DAL at ARI......DAL
STL at SF......SF
IND at NE......NE
SD at JAC......SD

WEEK 14
TB at JAC......TB
ATL at CAR......ATL
IND at BAL......BAL
PHI at MIA......PHI
MIN at DET......DET
CHI at DEN......CHI
SF at ARI......SF
STL at SEA......SEA

WEEK 15
JAC at ATL......ATL
CAR at HOU......HOU
MIA at BUF......BUF
SEA at CHI......CHI
NO at MIN......NO
CIN at STL......CIN
TEN at IND......TEN
NE at DEN......NE
CLE at ARI......ARI

WEEK 16
HOU at IND......HOU
JAC at TEN......TEN
MIA at NE......NE
ARI at CIN......CIN
DEN at BUF......BUF
STL at PIT......PIT
MIN at WSH......MIN
TB at CAR......TB
SF at SEA......SF

WEEK 17
CAR at NO......NO
CHI at MIN......CHI
NYJ at MIA......MIA
SF at STL......SF
IND at JAC......JAC
SEA at ARI......ARI
KC at DEN......KC

St. Louis has five potential games to win, so I see them at least 3-13. Will Miami really win three games?

Manning says he really, really wants to come back this year. as soon as possible. Though there is no timeline, I wouldn't put it past him. If he does, I don't care how long he's been out, it will take him about 1 quarter to get up to speed, and bring the rest of his team with him. They won't win every game, but with him at QB, they actually could.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
This is what I call put together by hip-shooting, but here are my predictions for the FINAL leaders in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes:
TEAM…………….W…..L…..+
Arizona…………..5.....11…..4
Denver…………..4…..12…...2
Carolina………....3.....13…...1
Jacksonville….….3…..13…..1
Miami…………….3…..13…..3
Minnesota…...…..3…..13…..1
Seattle…………...3…..13…..1
Indianapolis…..….2…..14…..2
St. Louis………….2…..14….1

(columns is a real pain)

So you pick the Skins to win at least two more games? I see below that you have them winning in Seattle, but losing to the Vikings and Fins. Where's the other win coming from:confused:

btw, you're far more optimistic than I am expecting them to win two more. On the basis of the complete shambles that I saw last weekend, I could easily see them lose all the rest. Really. They were worse than awful.:eek:

Alpe d'Huez said:
St. Louis has five potential games to win, so I see them at least 3-13. Will Miami really win three games?

Manning says he really, really wants to come back this year. as soon as possible. Though there is no timeline, I wouldn't put it past him. If he does, I don't care how long he's been out, it will take him about 1 quarter to get up to speed, and bring the rest of his team with him. They won't win every game, but with him at QB, they actually could.

Miami to win three? Well, I'm hopeful. It is a bit of a stretch I agree, but those three wins are at home against the Skins, Raiders, and the Jets.

If Peyton comes back then Indy will get out of the basement. That would be great for teams needing to get the first overall draft pick. But I was not counting on him coming back as that's an uncertainty at this point.

But like I said, I put this together hip-shooting. So there are probably lots of holes in my guesses. Which is good from a discussion standpoint. So blast away boys! :D

on3m@n@rmy said:
Here are the current leaders in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes:
TEAM...........W....L.
Minnesota.....2....6
Carolina........2....6
Jacksonville...2....6
Denver..........2....5
Seattle...........2....5
Arizona.........1....6
St. Louis.......1....6
Miami.............0....7
Indianapolis...0....8

Washington has too many wins (3 I think) to make this list.

Now, if I had time it would be interesting to put together predictions for the remaining schedule to see who might come out at the bottom of the list (the winner of the suck for Luck campaign!).

Amsterhammer said:
So you pick the Skins to win at least two more games? I see below that you have them winning in Seattle, but losing to the Vikings and Fins. Where's the other win coming from:confused:

btw, you're far more optimistic than I am expecting them to win two more. On the basis of the complete shambles that I saw last weekend, I could easily see them lose all the rest. Really. They were worse than awful.:eek:

I dragged my original starting post forward here to explain how the Skins factored into my predictions for the rest of the season. Fact is, the Skins didn't factor completely into my predictions simply because I did not consider all games played by teams who had more than 2 wins to start with... the Skins had 3 to start with, so I did not go through their entire schedule cos I figured there would be a few teams that would stay under that by season's end. But you may be right, they could be in a close race for the "honor" to draft first overall next Spring.

EDIT: In week 12 I have Wash beating Seattle in Seattle. So right there that gives the Skins at least 4 wins to the season. Seattle can't do spit offensively. If Seattle is to win that game it is going to have to come on a strong effort from defense (a possibility) and/or special teams (also a real possibility)... IMO.

Week 9:

NYJ @ Buffalo - - Buffalo will get a test from the Jets.
SEA @ Dallas - Only Romo could lose this game.
ATL @ Indy - Poor Indy.
MIA at KC - Poorer 'fins.
TB @ NO - NO Jeckel/Hyde last two weeks.
SF @ Wash - SF has flown back and forth across the country for weeks. Are they tired yet?
CLE @ Houston - Hurt, Texans are good anyway.
CIN @ Tenn - Sleeper, could be a great game.
DEN @ Oak - Carson Palmer's first real game for the Raiders
NYG @ NE - Pitt showed how to beat NE, but I expect the Pats to respond, and seek revenge from 2008.
STL @ Ari - Tough call between two surprisingly weak teams.
GB @ SD - If the real SD shows up, this could be an upset.
BAL @ Pit - Look for Steelers to exact revenge.
CHI @ Phi - Which Eagles or Bears team shows up?

ESPN expert picks.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Week 9:

NYJ @ Buffalo - - Buffalo will get a test from the Jets. Agreed.
SEA @ Dallas - Only Romo could lose this game. That is becomming a common feeling, and mostly from die-hard Cowboys fans. I still don't see SEA winning tho. Give SEA a couple years. I really like the secondary they are developing, young and physical.
ATL @ Indy - Poor Indy. Yeup ATL ftw.
MIA at KC - Poorer 'fins. KC may be best underrated team
TB @ NO - NO Jeckel/Hyde last two weeks. NO is P.O.ed... & win.
SF @ Wash - SF has flown back and forth across the country for weeks. Are they tired yet? Poor WSH.
CLE @ Houston - Hurt, Texans are good anyway. Yeup.
CIN @ Tenn - Sleeper, could be a great game. one of the harder picks this week. But I took CIN.
DEN @ Oak - Carson Palmer's first real game for the Raiders. OAK ftw.
NYG @ NE - Pitt showed how to beat NE, but I expect the Pats to respond, and seek revenge from 2008. The worst "D" better come thru tho.
STL @ Ari - Tough call between two surprisingly weak teams. Zzzz.
GB @ SD - If the real SD shows up, this could be an upset. Has the real SD showed up yet this year? .
BAL @ Pit - Look for Steelers to exact revenge. True, but I might go out on limb and take BAL ftw as long as FlakeO does not show up.
CHI @ Phi - Which Eagles or Bears team shows up? da Eagles, not da Bears.

ESPN expert picks.

see above comments in red

Picture worth a thousand words:

Tim+Tebow+Denver+Broncos+v+Oakland+Raiders+661902l0nmal.jpg

Anyone out there still disbelieve?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Yup only reason they won is cause willis went ballistic today. Tebow is still yet to complete 50% of his passes in a game....

Oh and flacco went ape**** on the dented steel curtain tonight!

nvpacchi said:
Oh and flacco went ape**** on the dented steel curtain tonight!

That was a great game.

Next week has a lot of interesting matchups. Like:
Houston @ Tampa
Denver @ KC
Saints @ Falcons
Steelers @ Bengals
the NY Geeeeeeeee men @ Niners
Lions @ Bears
Pats @ Jets

I'll be really interested to see how the Jets pass 'D' does vs. Brady & Co.

Tebow is going to give John Fox ulcers. But I'm sure any coach will toss out every stat there is, as long as they walk out of a stadium with 1 point more than their opponent. And to go into maybe the most hostile environment in the NFL against what should be a better team, with fans chanting "Tebow Sucks", and come away with a gritty win like that, just incredible. I don't think he will be the next Rogers. His style is very different. But his passing can only improve. He has tremendous leadership and determination, and that carries teams.

Ravens did indeed dent the steel curtain. And this was in Pittsburgh, with the Steelers defense on a roll and with Harrison healthy, and the Steelers seeking revenge. The game was close, and there was pushing by both guys on that last TD, but that win showed me that the Ravens really have proven they are the better team. Now, let's see how Cincy matches up with them.

Ugly loss for the Pats. To give up two TD's in the last three minutes like that. And on long drives. With the Jets on a roll I think they could beat the Pats by double digits next week at home. My pre-season pick for the SB is looking good right now (GB over Jets)!

Power rankings are going to be interesting this week. GB an obvious #1, and likely SF #2. After that..? The Giants? Bengals??

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Anyone out there still disbelieve?

i was never a believer or a hater.

i'm far from convinced that he's the second coming.

maybe a middle of the road NFL QB (like mike vick or vince young)

part of the problem he faces is that denver will have to make their offence very dependent on him, to get the best out of him, and would face huge problems if he has injury problems. also sometimes it's quite nice if your QB can stand in the pocket and pick apart the opposition.

if they think that tebow is the answer, i hope they commit to other college type players (maybe draft denard robinson or similar as a back up).

You know, the funny thing about Tebow is that in college I wasn't really a fan of his. I thought it was his team that did as much of the work as him. I thought he was good, but not great. I also get tired of his preaching (though I'll take that over a guy who is in and out of jail any day). I'm not a hater either, and was mostly amused by all of his fans and didn't think much of that either. But I thought he'd never do much of anything in the NFL as he's as much a runner as passer, his delivery is too slow, and his reads are often slow or delayed. Plus, I'm a Raiders fan and was cheering against him for the most part yesterday.

But he has an intangible of leadership, eternal optimism and a winning attitude that cannot be denied. It's also infectious to players around him. That's what wins games. Games that you otherwise should lose. I agree if he gets hurt from running too much it will change things. And I agree he's going to have to work on his motion and his reads. But I believe he can do that. Time will tell, but I think he's going going to adapt and grow into a good QB. Not a Brady/Rogers/Brees great QB. But a good QB that wins games.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
If Tebow had a coach that isn't a total moron and worked the offense around his skill set (like McDaniels was planning), an offensive line that doesn't totally suck, and a deep threat, he would be deadly in the NFL. That's an offense nearly impossible to defend. The problem is John Fox puts him under center behind the leagues worst line with a below average running back and no deep threat. What is expected to happen? Defenses can load up the line and wreak havoc. Right now Tebow is in a no win situation, but he still improves! Criticism of him should stop.....and that's coming from a lifelong Florida State fan!

Alpe d'Huez said:
You know, the funny thing about Tebow is that in college I wasn't really a fan of his. I thought it was his team that did as much of the work as him. I thought he was good, but not great. I also get tired of his preaching (though I'll take that over a guy who is in and out of jail any day). I'm not a hater either, and was mostly amused by all of his fans and didn't think much of that either. But I thought he'd never do much of anything in the NFL as he's as much a runner as passer, his delivery is too slow, and his reads are often slow or delayed. Plus, I'm a Raiders fan and was cheering against him for the most part yesterday.

But he has an intangible of leadership, eternal optimism and a winning attitude that cannot be denied. It's also infectious to players around him. That's what wins games. Games that you otherwise should lose. I agree if he gets hurt from running too much it will change things. And I agree he's going to have to work on his motion and his reads. But I believe he can do that. Time will tell, but I think he's going going to adapt and grow into a good QB. Not a Brady/Rogers/Brees great QB. But a good QB that wins games.

ImmaculateKadence said:
If Tebow had a coach that isn't a total moron and worked the offense around his skill set (like McDaniels was planning), an offensive line that doesn't totally suck, and a deep threat, he would be deadly in the NFL. That's an offense nearly impossible to defend. The problem is John Fox puts him under center behind the leagues worst line with a below average running back and no deep threat. What is expected to happen? Defenses can load up the line and wreak havoc. Right now Tebow is in a no win situation, but he still improves! Criticism of him should stop.....and that's coming from a lifelong Florida State fan!

A Tebow-like attitude and locker room presence, as Alpe points out, will elevate the play of everyone around him, and probably elevate the work ethic of everyone during the offseason. A core group of guys with tremendous offseason work habits goes a long way toward building a strong, united team. We may see a vastly improved Denver team, not just an improved Tebow, in about 2 years if not by the start of next season.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
The only thing I saw last weekend was the ESPN re-run of the Ravens game, what a killer finish!:cool:

Who would have picked the Fins to win like that? Certainly not me. I would have picked the Skins to lose, the Bears to win, and the Pats to win. Eli will have raised a few eyebrows.

Optimism over here concerning the Bengals 6-2 start. Andy Dalton looks like the real deal, and he's surrounded by young weapons with green, caldwell, simpson, and gresham when he's healthy. Add in ced benson who's always solid and mike zimmer's outstanding defense, and finally the bengals are looking up. Of course, the pessimist in my says that they will come down to earth against the steelers, but one can dream

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Not so much as a Tebow hater as a non-believer in his talent to be a starting QB in the NFL.

If they build an offense for him, and run option plays, he won't make it thru seasons. If Denver gets better, they will start playing tougher schedules, meaning his major throwing flaws will be exposed by good defenses. They tried to fix his slow throwing motion in college. No results. With new limits on practice and pre season practices, he will have to do lots of work on his own.

I am a fan of one of the best running quarterbacks in NFL history, Steve Young. So I have nothing against running QBs like Tebow. Tebow is no Steve Young. He will have to get better in the pocket to survive and play an entire year. Think his success will be better against lesser defenses. Lions showed his flaws. I don't think his success this past week was just him. Combo of that and Raider team missing key weapons on both sides of the ball.

Look at Vick before jail, his numbers were getting worse as the years went on, defenses were figuring him out, injuries piling up missed games. Even after jail, Vick had a great year, then defenses caught up and now he is not having the success he had last year.

Think the same will happen to Tebow without increasing his pocket passing ability, he won't succeed. He will be injured and never live up to his hype.

TRENDING THREADS