• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Not so fast here:

Real Salt Lake City finished with negative record (11-12-7) and won 2009,
the earlier mentioned Calgary Stampeders were 8-10 in 2001 and won the Grey Cup,
many NFL europe teams won by only finishing 2 over .500 (Frankfurt Galaxy did it three times by, AFIR, going 6-4 and winning the championship).

The true jinx only applies to the NHL and NFL:
The NHL was on the brink to have a "negative" (or just over .500) champ many times and prevented it (the worst was the runner up of 90/91 Minnesota going 27-39-14, followed by the 81/82 Canucks going 30-33-17 & 93/94 Canucks going 41-40-3 and many more teams like the 58/59 Maple Leafs going 27-32-11), so was the NFL with the ARZ Cards most recently (i admit, i´d have love it if they had beaten PIT) and 79-Rams (9-7 too).

The sports gods just don´t accept undeserved champs in the NHL and NFL, even tough they allow real bad teams to taste the atmosphere of championship games now and then.

:p;)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Hate to admit it, but the nature of the game basketball leaves the fewest possibilities for lucky winners. There you have 50+ scores per team. Talent will prevail since it´s obvious the more chances, the more regression to the (real talent-)mean.

In football you only have about 4 scores per team (+ chances of devastating turnovers).

In hockey you get even less scores (less than 3) and many many (rebounding) luck scores.

Well, soccer :rolleyes:.... you and i agree. We both know why we don´t like it at all, and discussed it lenghtly in different soccer threads. Don´t know how people get excited of 0-0s and ties. :D

Two things work for baseball:
Even tough they have the same scoring occurrences as football, MLB allowes the least teams to reach the playoffs. And since they play 162 games, it´s very difficult to reach the playoffs with an 82-80 record. But of course they had some real lucky winners (like the 87-Twins going 85-77 and the 2006-Cards going 83-78).

This following study ranks luck influence as follows:
1. (no surprise here) Soccer
2. Baseball
3. Hockey
4. (tied) Football and Basketball

http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/mensch/0,1518,467126,00.html

The problem that works against Football is the very short season, and that more teams than in baseball reach the playoffs. But that can´t be changed (the lenght of the season i mean). Otherwise we would see playoffs with replacement players only. The game is just to grueling to play longer seasons.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
PS:

Canadian football is real exciting. Try it out. :)
They showed it in germany in the late 80s on cable TV. I loved it. It´s basically passing all day. And punts going over the endzone gives you one point. It´s funny... i love it. Too bad i can´t follow it anymore.

Pretty much agree with all you said. Though I think I like soccer a little better than you, I agree with your assessment, as noted in many other threads. I used to watch Canadian football. I couldn't really get into it.

Getting the hype going, Giants Tuck called Brady "The Snake" as in they have kill the Patriots by biting the head of the snake off. Branch got a laugh out of it.

Spread has shrunk in Vegas to 2.5 for the Pats, with a lot of bets on the Giants. Listening to the blogosphere you'd think Eli is as good of a QB as Brady!

Eric Mangini works for NFL Network and while he's bland, he's a smart guy. He was talking about ways the Patriots can stop the Giants pass rush, it was interesting. He talked about the real key is how the Pats run the ball, versus faking the run by pulling guards and running pass plays disguised as trap draws, and running trap draws and letting the Giants rush Brady all they like. Coupled with ways the TE's or Ellis (or other RB's) can pass block or "chip" the ends. This is a real key for a few reasons beyond the obvious. More than once this year Webster and Ross were burned long by QB's with arms and time to throw. Brees completely exploited them. Brady is more of a "seam" passer though, similar to Rodgers. A few teams also ran the ball through the Giants. But GB didn't do either. They also didn't pass protect that well, and their receivers dropped balls like mad. So if the Pats can't run, or don't try enough, they'll meet the same fate the Packers did.

I'm starting to have some doubts on the Giants ability to throw all day long and constantly move the ball against the Patriots. I can't put my finger on it, but I think it has a lot to do with Belicheck and his cunning mind. Like I said before, he's great at taking away other teams strengths. Last week he completely neutralized Ray Rice and Terrell Suggs for the Ravens. So...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Spread has shrunk in Vegas to 2.5 for the Pats, with a lot of bets on the Giants.

That´s a good sign. ;)

And the money is still going in for a Giants win. Not that i am a fan of outside influence, but i have to be realistic.
And something i really forgot during the last month: future odds for a NYG SB-Win was as high as 100/1 during mid season. Now i have a question: Will Vegas lose approx. $ 400 mio. net voluntarily?
If it was me, i´d ban sports gambling completely. The worst enemy of sports competition, worse than drugs...

Alpe d'Huez said:
Eric Mangini works for NFL Network and while he's bland, he's a smart guy. He was talking about ways the Patriots can stop the Giants pass rush, it was interesting. He talked about the real key is how the Pats run the ball, versus faking the run by pulling guards and running pass plays disguised as trap draws, and running trap draws and letting the Giants rush Brady all they like. Coupled with ways the TE's or Ellis (or other RB's) can pass block or "chip" the ends. This is a real key for a few reasons beyond the obvious. More than once this year Webster and Ross were burned long by QB's with arms and time to throw. Brees completely exploited them. Brady is more of a "seam" passer though, similar to Rodgers. A few teams also ran the ball through the Giants. But GB didn't do either. They also didn't pass protect that well, and their receivers dropped balls like mad. So if the Pats can't run, or don't try enough, they'll meet the same fate the Packers did.

Did he (Mangini) read my posts? I tought it was a secret between me and Beli (;)) to surprise the Giants by running and then a lot of play fakes on 2nd/3rd and shorts...

Alpe d'Huez said:
I'm starting to have some doubts on the Giants ability to throw all day long and constantly move the ball against the Patriots. I can't put my finger on it, but I think it has a lot to do with Belicheck and his cunning mind. Like I said before, he's great at taking away other teams strengths. Last week he completely neutralized Ray Rice and Terrell Suggs for the Ravens. So...

I am optimistic Beli comes up with a master plan. I don´t know how he´ll do it with his below average DB´s. May he´ll come up with lots of different formations and zone blitzing to confuse Manning. Anyway, i trust him...

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
You two really need to get a room.:D

You two should hole up in a room with whatever supplies you need for a lengthy stay and start talking, we could stream it on the web, and your live global audience could send in questions or make the occasional comment.:p

Amsterhammer said:
You two really need to get a room.:D

You two should hole up in a room with whatever supplies you need for a lengthy stay and start talking, we could stream it on the web, and your live global audience could send in questions or make the occasional comment.:p

Give NFL.com a little competion they would. And these two could include a little talk on Vegas and the line, which the NFL.com cannot do. Might just attract a whole nuther client base.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
You know we need to kill time until kick off. :D
I think two weeks between games is way to long.

I been thinking that for a looooooong time.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Give NFL.com a little competion they would. And these two could include a little talk on Vegas and the line, which the NFL.com cannot do. Might just attract a whole nuther client base.

I been thinking that for a looooooong time.

Should be since they never (NFL) touch the dark side...

Where are you guys going to watch? I´ll have my usual beers at a super bowl party, hoping to make it trou halftime. :eek:
God, i can remember super sundays i couldn´t remember the entire 2nd half. Luckily those were the times when the SB was decided by halftime (mid 80s to mid 90s).

LOL!

I don't think Mangini said the same as you. Did he? He was simply describing how the Pats could pass block. One way was to disguise a pass as a run (such as pulling a guard) while the TE's "chip" the DE's, the other was to run trap draws, which tend to do quite well when 4-5 guys immediately rush the QB at the snap, as you can get good holes that way for relatively big gains.

I don't think offense is really going to be the Pats problem. Brady will be highly motivated, and you have Belicheck, O'Brien and McDaniels scheming as we speak, and I don't think the Giants corners are really that good. I think the problem is the Pats getting to Eli with 3 or 4 guys, and covering their receivers. If they can't, I can see the Giants putting 30+ points up, and winning.

Who knows though, the Patriots could be working on Spygate 3 right now. I wouldn't put it past Belicheck and McDaniels. Wasn't it Mangini who blew the whistle on that, btw? Though one may argue he was part of the "Belicheat" system as well, originally.

Did I mention I really don't care for either of these teams?!

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
If it was me, i´d ban sports gambling completely. The worst enemy of sports competition, worse than drugs...
Having lived in Nevada for some 9 years in my youth, I generally agree. I just think gambling should be limited in money. Like slot machines should be penny machines only. Largest bets on anything (cards, roulette, craps, sports, etc.) should be no more than a dollar, per person. I'm also against all state lotteries. But this is never going to happen.

Renowned behavior psychologist BF Skinner noted in so many words that gambling was the most addictive type of psychological addiction. Why? Because it required some skill, but was relatively random reward. It also involved money, which can be mentally translated into anything one's mind desires. And the potential winnings are limitless.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
LOL!

I don't think Mangini said the same as you. Did he? He was simply describing how the Pats could pass block. One way was to disguise a pass as a run (such as pulling a guard) while the TE's "chip" the DE's, the other was to run trap draws, which tend to do quite well when 4-5 guys immediately rush the QB at the snap, as you can get good holes that way for relatively big gains.

Oh, then i got you wrong. I admit, i didn´t hear the interview. I was more on your sentence "He talked about the real key is how the Pats run the ball". I tought of running endless (draws) vs. 6 men boxes (like they did on the run TD vs. BAL), until they (NYG) get tired of being runned over... and boom Brady connects the long ones vs. favourable single (man) coverage on short situations. That´s how i see (wish ;)) Branch coming up big time.
I just think the Giants will over pursue with their famous 4 men front (wish again :D).

Alpe d'Huez said:
I don't think offense is really going to be the Pats problem. Brady will be highly motivated, and you have Belicheck, O'Brien and McDaniels scheming as we speak, and I don't think the Giants corners are really that good. I think the problem is the Pats getting to Eli with 3 or 4 guys, and covering their receivers. If they can't, I can see the Giants putting 30+ points up, and winning.

I think that´s the only chance for the D (to rush 3/4) and giving different formations to confuse Manning. If they blitz big time (5+ rushers) like the Saints did vs. SF, they´ll be doomed. They just don´t have the personel to dominate the NYG-OL. The only way is to interupt Mannings confidence in reads. I am sure he will heave at least one Int into double coverage... It´s just time. :)

Why not. NE was able to put up 30+ every other game. They also out gained the Giants with 400+ yards in the RS game (lost on -2 turnovers only). So even if the Giants score 35, then the Pats will score 41.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Did I mention I really don't care for either of these teams?!

You did... :D

Alpe d'Huez said:
Having lived in Nevada for some 9 years in my youth, I generally agree. I just think gambling should be limited in money. Like slot machines should be penny machines only. Largest bets on anything (cards, roulette, craps, sports, etc.) should be no more than a dollar, per person. I'm also against all state lotteries. But this is never going to happen.

Renowned behavior psychologist BF Skinner noted in so many words that gambling was the most addictive type of psychological addiction. Why? Because it required some skill, but was relatively random reward. It also involved money, which can be mentally translated into anything one's mind desires. And the potential winnings are limitless.

Actually the NFL has a tight relationship to gamblers since forever (most original owners were gamblers, horse track owners and other shady guys). They (NFL) know to a certain point that the game is so popular b/c of people betting on it. It will never go until some scandal comes up like the NBA disaster or the countless european soccer betting scandals.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Where are you guys going to watch? I´ll have my usual beers at a super bowl party, hoping to make it trou halftime. :eek:
God, i can remember super sundays i couldn´t remember the entire 2nd half. Luckily those were the times when the SB was decided by halftime (mid 80s to mid 90s).

I've only got one buddy here fanataical enough to pull an all nighter with me, so there will be two of us in my living room. We could go to a bar in town with loads of tourists, but we prefer to eat, drink, fart, and partake of exotic cheroots in the comfort of home.

He's a young English Jets fan. I wish I could get him to come here and join in with you two. He hasn't got your current in depth knowledge, nor does he gamble, but he is a walking encyclopedia about all major players and stats from the last 15-20 years. Whenever I need to know something obscure, I just ask him.;)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
I've only got one buddy here fanataical enough to pull an all nighter with me, so there will be two of us in my living room. We could go to a bar in town with loads of tourists, but we prefer to eat, drink, fart, and partake of exotic cheroots in the comfort of home.

He's a young English Jets fan. I wish I could get him to come here and join in with you two. He hasn't got your current in depth knowledge, nor does he gamble, but he is a walking encyclopedia about all major players and stats from the last 15-20 years. Whenever I need to know something obscure, I just ask him.;)

I recommend you guys to go to a bar. May you find some Pats fans who give rounds of heineken after every NE-TD.:D
Are you living in Amsterdam? If so, they might even invite you guys to some "exotic" bars. ;)
I might just be a great night for you.

I've got a 46" TV that I bought last year, a DVR, and a really comfy couch. I'll be watching the game at home.

Regarding Mangini, I watch he and Mariucci on NFL Network and in some ways they know a great deal, and in others I can see why neither are coaching in the NFL anymore! My favorite ex-coach to watch is Tony Dungee. Classy guy, great at breaking down plays and explaining what's going on, and likely to happen.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:

Amsterhammer said:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I've got a 46" TV that I bought last year, a DVR, and a really comfy couch. I'll be watching the game at home.

LOL. Amster... we do some of that too. This year tho... i dunno.
We have a 3 year old 42" LCD, and we usually have friends over. But last week the sucker died... something about the circuit board on the power supply. So I could have either forked out $700 for a 42" LED with Blue-Ray DVD player and surround sound, or get the sucker fixed. I chose to get it fixed for a couple hundred. Problem is, the part had to be ordered and is not due to arrive until middle of next week. So IF the shop gets it done it will be the usual plan. Otherwise we go to the friends.

We have done the bar thing tho too. Watched part of the conference championships in a little bar in a small place called Leavenworth, which is a quaint Bavarian style tourist town up in the mountains. The tender was a Saints fan full stop, and he pretended to act as mad as a hatter. Since I was going with the Saints, we fist pumped when NO got the goahead TD with a few ticks left. But then the disappointment came and he was loud and ready to throw anyone out who was pro-Niners. It was pretty comical and all fun tho really.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
A Day at the Office ...

sage+rosenfels+helicopter.jpg

... NFL pics to kill some time until the SB. Who cares about the non game "Pro Bowl"...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
It´s ridiculous. The CB (whoever that is, i don´t care) had a cushion of like 10 yds then he was runned over in 0.0 seconds, then watching Fitz catching a well underthrown ball. Why to put defense players in there if they are just watching?

PS: I mean the 44 yard TD from Rodgers, not that we get confused later when the final score is like 123-107.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
It´s ridiculous. ...Why to put defense players in there if they are just watching?

You got it. I watched the first 6 minutes. There is no effort by the players. Well, maybe 50% effort. It wasn't always that way in the distant past. And the crowd knows it! They are booing! This is why I stopped watching the spectacle (I mean, it's not a real game).

Nowadays though, the crowd has to know this is what to expect. So if they go to the game, go knowing it is just a spectacle (like a Dallas Cowboys training camp visit), maintain some class, bite the tongue and hold back the boos.

The real treat of the Pro Bore (okay, Bowl) is the pre-game stuff on the field. I think it costs extra, but fans can go down on the field, mingle with the players, take some snapshots, and get a few autographs. That's where the real memories are made IMO.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
At least on the Fitz-TD (only saw that "hi-lite" on nfl.com) there was basically no effort at all by the CB. Unless you count jogging and watching as football moves.
It´s true, not even 15 years back, the game at least looked like one. Nowadays it´s a complete joke.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
At least on the Fitz-TD (only saw that "hi-lite" on nfl.com) there was basically no effort at all by the CB. Unless you count jogging and watching as football moves.
It´s true, not even 15 years back, the game at least looked like one. Nowadays it´s a complete joke.

Joke is a better word than the one I used (Bore). Final score, AFC takes it 59-41. Total yards by each team, about 550 to 600. Total passing yards by each team, about 470.
yawn%20smiley.jpg

Had a dream last night that I slept through the Superbowl. I woke up, turned on the TV, and there was about 15 seconds left in the game. The Patriots were winning 40-24. Brady was on the sidelines and they were saying he was going to be the MVP, and had a graphic showing he had thrown for over 400 yards. I couldn't believe I slept through the game. LOL!

I hate the Pro Bowl.

It seems to have gotten worse ever since they moved the Pro Bowl to before the Super Bowl. It has always been a little more relaxed in the PB, but not as bad as it seems to be now. Maybe players feel like not trying even more when all the SB stars are missing? It's prolly just me.

TRENDING THREADS