• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nationaly of the world champions

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
UCI Road World Championships – Men's road race

Capturefff.JPG

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
Heh, let's suppose that Russia and Turkey and Kazakhstan count as Europe simply based on geography even if a larger part of them is in Asia.

Europe is not a continent based on geography, so it doesn't matter. Turkey could be seen as European for historical and even cultural reasons(Ataturk has Westernized the country). I'd include Turkey before I ever included a fake democracy country like Russia anyway. You forgot about Armenia by the way.

El Pistolero said:
Europe is not a continent based on geography, so it doesn't matter. Turkey could be seen as European for historical and even cultural reasons(Ataturk has Westernized the country). I'd include Turkey before I ever included a fake democracy country like Russia anyway. You forgot about Armenia by the way.

I probably forgot a lot of countries. But these were the first that came to mind.

In the spirit of this thread (or at least I would hope) I'd count Russia as a European 'cycling country' because it has an easy access to the European cycling scene (as soon as USSR cyclists were allowed to become professionals).

roundabout said:
Makes me wonder what was the best finish and who achieved it within the requirements of this thread.

In the road race.
Steve Bauer, 3rd, 1984.
It only said Americans, not Canadians. :p
Other than that, no podium placings (in the professionals' race) from Latin America, Africa or Asia.
Several for the US (LeMond '83, '89 & Armstrong '93, all gold) and the Aussies (McEwen '02 silver, Evans '09 gold, Davis '10 bronze, Goss '11 silver), but for some reason these don't count according to the opening post.

In Melbourne, 2010, Yukiya Arashiro was 9th. Assan Bazaev was 8th.
In Duitama, 1995, Oliverio Rincon (Colombia) was 8th.
In Hamilton, 2003, Michael Barry was 7th.
In Madrid, 2005, Murilo Fischer was 5th. Probably the best non-European, non-American, non-Australian, non-Canadian result in a professional men's Worlds road race so far.

roundabout said:
Makes me wonder what was the best finish and who achieved it within the requirements of this thread.

In the road race.

Sergey Lagutin (Uzbekistan), 1st U23 Road Race 2003
Fabio Duarte (Colombia), 1st U23 Road Race 2008
Rafaâ Chtioui (Tunisia), 2nd Juniors Road Race 2004
Carlos Betancur (Colombia), 2nd U23 Road Race 2009
Guillaume Boivin (Canada), =3rd U23 Road Race 2010