• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Need advice with wheel selection

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a Ridley Damocles ISP with Campy Record and am looking for a wheel set.

I have been looking at Mavic Cosmic Carbone Sl, Mavic Ksyrium SL, Fulcrum Racing 1 or Zeros and Easton EA 90 SL.

I dont like the Campy and Fulcrum rear wheels for the fact that there is a large space between the group of three spokes and if you put a little hop in the rim between those groups it is a nightmare to try and get the rim round again.

The Ksyrium seems like the most practical choice but I'd love some advice and maybe some options I haven't considered.

Any help and advice is appreciated.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Campione1 said:
Hi All,

I have been looking at Mavic Cosmic Carbone Sl, Mavic Ksyrium SL, Fulcrum Racing 1 or Zeros and Easton EA 90 SL.

I dont like the Campy and Fulcrum rear wheels for the fact that there is a large space between the group of three spokes and if you put a little hop in the rim between those groups it is a nightmare to try and get the rim round again.

The Ksyrium seems like the most practical choice but I'd love some advice and maybe some options I haven't considered.

The Fulcrums (1s or zeros, both good) are the best all-rounders/climbers. Bulletproof as well.

The Mavics are the best for 40kmh+ flats because they have a carbon fairing attached to the alu rim, but they are quite heavy.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Campione1 said:
Hi All,

I have two pairs of Kysrium SL's - clincher and tubular. The clinchers were bought from a team mate second hand and have been my 'mileage' wheelset averaging 300kms/week over the last 18 months. They are an outstanding wheelset - light, stiff and totally bomb proof. They have been used over very rough roads and gravel and the rims have never waivered from dead straight. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

I don't have the same mileage on the tubs but so far they are every bit the equal of the clinchers.

Campione1 said:
Hi All,

One thing for sure, the Mavic wheels, all of them, have the crappiest rear hub design in wheels today. 2 pawl, cheezy plastic bushing..terrible.

Campagnolo/Fulcrum wheels at least have a good hubset. Eastons are junque as are Mavic(did I mention that? Really awful rear hub design).

BUT find a wheelbuilder that can design and build a wheelset specifically for you and your needs.

That wheelset will

-weigh the same or less
-use standard rather than unique to that wheel, parts
-will perform the same as those mentioned(or better, more reliable) AND
-probably cost less

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
One thing for sure, the Mavic wheels, all of them, have the crappiest rear hub design in wheels today. 2 pawl, cheezy plastic bushing..terrible.

Campagnolo/Fulcrum wheels at least have a good hubset. Eastons are junque as are Mavic(did I mention that? Really awful rear hub design).

BUT find a wheelbuilder that can design and build a wheelset specifically for you and your needs.

That wheelset will

-weigh the same or less
-use standard rather than unique to that wheel, parts
-will perform the same as those mentioned(or better, more reliable) AND
-probably cost less

Maybe Mavic send their seconds to the US! I can only vouch for the quality of MY wheels and have had zero problems with them in 18 months of use in a temperate (wet) Northern European climate.

I know that you see many more wheels in a week than I will probably see in a lifetime. I'm just saying that not all Mavic wheels have problems.

LugHugger said:
Maybe Mavic send their seconds to the US! I can only vouch for the quality of MY wheels and have had zero problems with them in 18 months of use in a temperate (wet) Northern European climate.

I know that you see many more wheels in a week than I will probably see in a lifetime. I'm just saying that not all Mavic wheels have problems.

My beef with Mavic is that they have been using this crappy design for over a decade and when you ask any Mavic guy about it, particularly the guys from France, they shug and say, this is not possible'...This along with noisy wedges in the OpenPro, they just arrogantly make this $2 hub even on $1000+ wheels.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Campione1 said:
Hi All,

RE: R1
If you have direct personal experience with the fulcrum and couldn't true it yourself then I cant argue with you. But if you are taking a shop mechanics word for It I'd be careful.

I find most mechanics are quite biased an not very subjective these days. (might deserve a whole thread of opinions...) the fact that he might have had to order a non standard spoke wrench could have ****ed him off etc....

I have a set of Fulcrum R1. I am a bigger guy and they hold up well. As well they get to speed quick and are quite light and stiff. I didnt see the benefit of the Zero $ to weight. but it is a fine wheel. take time to think about their spoke concept. they have a unique spoke shape, and a 2:1 theory on spoking might be what you are hearing from the shops. the 2:1 rear makes for a stroinger stiffer lighter rear wheel (as they say) for for a dude just a bagel short of Clydesdale status.... I hear love hate on the 2:1. Me love

I like the different width front and rear rim as well. the 30 mm rear stiffens it up and widens the tire

I would recommend them for longevity as well as race level performance. If you break a spoke, and I have not in over 3k miles, however they are expensive to replace and could take time to order

If you go that way go with the 2 way fit. Nice tubeless option and they will seal tubeless with most tires UST or not. Tubeless isnt a big thing in the road market yet but I think it is worth pointing out fulcrum is ahead of the curve
other models are problematic I hear but that is shop talk again....

they are a very rigid ride IE vertical compliance is not there if there is such a thing. I take a beating on long rough rides. as I assume most alloy wheels at this level are

easy to find ceramic bearings for them I am told but I dont use those

best skewer clamp out there IMHO

I cant be very subjective about the Mavic Ksy... the rear spoking didnt work out for me but that is 3 years removed so they might be different now. but I blew through one in under 1000 miles. You see a lot of front Mavic ksyriums on ebay for what it is worth

however I have friends who swear by them but they are under a buck90 in weight

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
My beef with Mavic is..This along with noisy wedges in the OpenPro, they just arrogantly make this $2 hub even on $1000+ wheels.

concur

RE Open Pro. are you referring to the clicking one might get from loose weld chips in the rim? my current set of Open Pros are cool but the last I couldn't get rid of it and it is maddening. a total mindphuk on long spins

a buddy of mine was able to rid his by putting some conti tubular glue in the rim and the chip stuck to it fyi. didnt work for me.

Boeing said:
concur

RE Open Pro. are you referring to the clicking one might get from loose weld chips in the rim? my current set of Open Pros are cool but the last I couldn't get rid of it and it is maddening. a total mindphuk on long spins

a buddy of mine was able to rid his by putting some conti tubular glue in the rim and the chip stuck to it fyi. didnt work for me.

A punch at the weld, wack it, sometimes makes it stop or a wee hole and Fastac in there. ****poor design, again from out 'friends' at mavic.

Best solution?

http://www.dtswiss.com

For rims, what I am doing...I only get those rims DT doesn't make, like 36h stuff..all else is DT or Velocity.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I know of 5 sets of Campy Shamal wheels among my friends that have the G3 spoke pattern. No dented rims and these wheels are light and strong. I am the heaviest of the riders I know with the Shamals at 172 and I have ridden over pot holes and speed bumps without a hop. I think if I actually bent a rim it would need replacing anyway. Frankly if you put a dent in a rim you can't straighten it anyway.