• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Cassette Rattling

Just spent a few hours cleaning my bike, putting new Mavics on, and putting on a new chain and cassette. Went pretty well apart from maybe I took one too many links out of the chain.

Anyway, seeing as I don't have a cassette tool, I couldn't tighten it fully. I just wanted to see that I could do everything right.

Just span the pedals with my hand, and there's a rattling which is probably coming from the slightly loose cassette I suspect? Just want some confirmation that that is causing it and not something else as I'll be taking it to the bike shop tomorrow to tighten it properly anyway.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Just spent a few hours cleaning my bike, putting new Mavics on, and putting on a new chain and cassette. Went pretty well apart from maybe I took one too many links out of the chain.

Anyway, seeing as I don't have a cassette tool, I couldn't tighten it fully. I just wanted to see that I could do everything right.

Just span the pedals with my hand, and there's a rattling which is probably coming from the slightly loose cassette I suspect? Just want some confirmation that that is causing it and not something else as I'll be taking it to the bike shop tomorrow to tighten it properly anyway.

Mavic wheels usually come with cassette spacers so your lock ring compresses completely without being over tightened. They can also come loose on the road. I've had to re-tighten one with the straight-slot screwdriver on my Park tool. You can lay the wheel flat, put the screwdriver blade at an angle (to tighten clockwise) in one of the lock ring notches and press to turn it. It's not perfect but will get you home.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Cassett tool very cheap go to bike shop and buy one or get them to nip it up otherwise you will strip the threads in the hub looss steel cassett lockring with soft alloy will just wreck the hub if not tightened, do it now or may cause accident injury or even death.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Just spent a few hours cleaning my bike, putting new Mavics on, and putting on a new chain and cassette.

You don't mention what kind of cassette (Shimano/sram; new/used) - regardless, I'm wondering if you need the 1mm spacer that comes w/Shimano 10 speed cassettes (for use on non-10 speed Shimano hubs) w/your Mavics

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
As others have said, sounds like you need a spacer. Curiously, cassette bodies seem to be different lengths. When I upgraded my wheelset last summer, my old wheel required a spacer with my 9 sp shimano cassette. My new set didn't (and indeed I couldn't get the lockring to grab with the spacer installed). I would have thought bodies were all the same length.

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Factory built Mavic wheels come with a spacer that is used with Shimano cassettes. (it's somewhere around 2 to 2-1/2mm thick)
With a Shimano 9 speed cassette, you use this spacer, and the cassette.
With a Shimano 10 speed cassette, you use this spacer and the shimano 1mm spacer, and the cassette. The reason for this spacer is that mavic sold a Campagnolo compatable cassette that was wider than the shimano cassette, but could fit on their Shimano type body. You did not use the Mavic spacer with this Cassette.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
With Mavic wheels you will need your cassette and the 2.5mm(or so) mavic spacer positioned closest to the spokes. Without that part you'll be in rattle city, which I hear isn't very nice this time of year. Or something.

TRENDING THREADS