• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Flanders course

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
http://rvv.be/rvv/elite-men/roadbook/map.rvv

Looks like in addition to the various climbs that are included/not included in the race each year the first 100km is different. Instead of a flat, straight, run in with the wind at your back they head into the wind to the coast then hit about 20km of heavy, cold, crosswinds.

This should result in lots of splits early on.....and even more pain for our resident Flanderian Scott in SoCal

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
George Hincapie on theTour of Flanders, http://www.podiumcafe.com/2010/1/13/1248787/hincapie-interview#storyjump

They're both grueling, very, very difficult., but Flanders is a bit different in that there is flat cobblestones, then there's hilly cobblestones, then there's just normal hills, so the rhythm changes that your body goes through is pretty extreme. Whereas in Roubaix you've got 100k flat, then you've got cobblestone sections the rest of the way in. So there's rhythm changes but not so great as there is in the Tour of Flanders. But Roubaix is just more of a race of atttrition, who's got it in the end can just make those final 10k, 20k, 30k attack, whereas Flanders is more sprinting out of corners or sprinting up these climbs, or powering out these cobblestone climbs, lots more downhills, a lot more technical, small roads in Flanders. Whereas Roubaix also has small roads, but they're straighter, not as many corners, not as much jumping and doing those real, real short, hard accelerations.

So it's going to be even harder?

Heinrich Haussler seems to be targeting this race. On the basis of his last year, it seems possible for him to win.

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:
http://rvv.be/rvv/elite-men/roadbook/map.rvv

Looks like in addition to the various climbs that are included/not included in the race each year the first 100km is different. Instead of a flat, straight, run in with the wind at your back they head into the wind to the coast then hit about 20km of heavy, cold, crosswinds.

This should result in lots of splits early on.....and even more pain for our resident Flanderian Scott in SoCal

Yes. Ain't it grand? The first 20 (or so) Kms in a bloc headwind then the next 25 Kms in a head/side wind. How many different ways can one spell "GUTTERBALL"?

With any luck it will be pissing down rain so I will get the full effect. Can't wait.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Yes. Ain't it grand? The first 20 (or so) Kms in a bloc headwind then the next 25 Kms in a head/side wind. How many different ways can one spell "GUTTERBALL"?

With any luck it will be pissing down rain so I will get the full effect. Can't wait.

At least your post race recovery drink will be good

1026322-Beers_Chocolates_Flemish_Frites_Fries-Brugge.gif

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Scott if you can get up the Koppenberg without getting off and walk up it (usually happens with the pros) then you have bragging rights for life IMO.

A

Anonymous

craig1985 said:
Scott if you can get up the Koppenberg without getting off and walk up it (usually happens with the pros) then you have bragging rights for life IMO.

I'll let you know. Hopefully I won't end up like Jesper Skibby.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
Koppenberg isn't that impossible (i did it 3x in a row, 2 years ago). Problem is when riders befor you start getting of + if the cobbles are wet.

It can be a kinda hard when you already have 220km in your legs when you hit it

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Yup, even I managed the Koppenberg. :rolleyes:

I should say that it was on a nice day when it was dry.:)

Did I mention it was with no other riders on it.;)

It probably helped that I had only about 60K in my legs that day, and only two climbs before it.:eek:

I still had to get off after cresting the peak and wheeze for a bit, and I am incredibly proud of it as an achievement!

As for this year, best of luck Scott. If you complete the RvV, you are entitled to bragging rights, even if you push the bike up every hill!

Anyone else going over to watch it?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
It can be a kinda hard when you already have 220km in your legs when you hit it

220km or not, it's different, not harder, really. You do it almost equally fast (or equally slow; in my case like 5km/h), the pain in the legs is the same.

IMO the difference is the time to recover which is obviously longer after 220km. And the hear rate. After 220km ( or 7 hours) you're that tired you don't even get that heart up anymore. Your body is in a weird state of saving energy, it's like a constant loop of eating and releasing energy at the right time. I reached 180-182bpm while i always exceed 190 when i'm do it after e.g. 70km. So in some way it was more comfortable after 220km.

But the body part that suffers the most is the back. You have to remain seated so all the power has to come from there.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
About the course: no big surprises, really...

although, not that much hills this year. (why no wolvenberg?)

I don't really care about the Wolvenberg.

+ reintroduction of Knokteberg (Cote de Trieu): Trieu-Kwaremont-Pater-Koppenberg; that's got to hurt!
+ Molenberg is situated in the finale (no more 90° right turn resulting in a pile up of the complete peloton, i hope)
+ the classic combination of Tenbosse-Muur without the Eikenmolen
+ Holleweg (1500m of the worst cobbles you can find in Flanders)

- no Valkenberg (i always liked the combination Berendries-Valkenberg)
- no Varentberg
- no Paddestraat (2500m cobbles)
- reintroduction of Den Ast (WTF?!)

A

Anonymous

So I loaded the Google Earth map of the course. That right hand turn at the base of the Koppenberg has to be 130 degrees. I didn't realize it was so tight. Ouch.

TRENDING THREADS