• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Lemond Article

I actually think he is offering some decent advice to (1) us as fans (don't be quick to draw conclusions about a rider's form based on one stage) and (2) the top competitors (don't read too much into any one stage; the race isn't over until it is over). He's using his own experience to demonstrate that, which I think is particularly effective.

Hopefully Andy reads this blog post because I fear he has read far too much into his win on Stage 8.

Publicus said:
I actually think he is offering some decent advice to (1) us as fans (don't be quick to draw conclusions about a rider's form based on one stage) and (2) the top competitors (don't read too much into any one stage; the race isn't over until it is over). He's using his own experience to demonstrate that, which I think is particularly effective.

Hopefully Andy reads this blog post because I fear he has read far too much into his win on Stage 8.

and (3) a quick observation as to why radios should be restricted/removed

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
20 years already!! How many more times can he tell this story. PS what about us regular people that replace our chain and cogs at the same time. The Lemond trainer design is great for guys with a pro mech.Guys who are always riding brand new stuff. Putting a worn chain on a brand new cog set like on his trainer looks like a disaster

woodie said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/greg-lemond/surviving-off-days-and-racing-to-paris

Is it just me or does it seem like Lemond is trying to talk himself up?? Like I can see what he's trying to do but it sounds like he's a little desperate to relive the past.

Just an observation, what is everyone elses thoughts????

The peloton is dirty and it upsets him just like Bonds hitting homeruns juiced bothered Hank Aaron. There are lovers of the current and recent past 'TdF champions who hate the messenger(Lemond) just like those that love Barry Bonds.

Blood doping using one's own blood has risen to an amazingly exact 'science' among the pro peloton these days.

May 3, 2010
www.ror-zone.com
Publicus said:

Agreed with everything apart from the bit about andy, think thats just purely media mind games hes trying to play so contador is "shocked" when he attacks again....

May 21, 2009
Visit site
The guy reeks of arrogance.

He basically cheated by using TT bars in that time trial!

Although i'd better be careful saying this though, as threads and posts on here get removed if you question anything about LeMond...

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Morgazano said:

Although i'd better be careful saying this though, as threads and posts on here get removed if you question anything about LeMond...

No he didn't.

Everyone in the race knew the bars were legal going in. He was the only one who chose to use them. He also wore a TT helmet while Fignon rode with his pony-tail out and flapping. Fignon was even offered the bars before the last TT... but chose not to use them since he hadn't trained on them.

Fignon could have won if he had gotten a hair cut... bars or no.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Interesting that LeMond doesn't mention the equipment advantage . Fignon lost less time in the stage 5 TT which was 3(!) times longer than the final stage so it couldn't have been TT form alone as LeMond is suggesting.

Fignon also had severe saddle sores that got worse and worse as the race progressed. The equipment played a huge role... but there were other factors.

1. in the first, longer ITT lemond knew he could have beaten fignon by more because early in that stage his TT handlebars shifted and he wasn't able to maximize efficiency. so going into the last TT he knew he had a chance despite the shorter distance.

2. some 7-eleven riders had used TT handlebars at the Tour Dupont/Tour de Trump earlier that very year. lemond got the uci to accept them as legal before the first ITT stage. fignon even tried some out and decided against them for the final ITT. hardly cheating.

3. lemond has many times expressed how he benefitted from the latest techno advances -- many, many times -- see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuA_3cQ31r4
in this interview he even says that they both won the tour that year because 8 seconds is nothing. he laughs about guimard who was always at the front of every technological advance but refused the TT handlebars. but -- no matter -- choosing untested advances to ride with on the biggest stage ever shows guts.

4. lemond has also said that he tested later and found that he lost a fair amount of time because of his penchant to dip his head up and down thus making the aero helmet become like a shark's dorsal fin hitting the air.

5. finally, i would much prefer to hear what lemond (or mottet, or delion) have to say about riding a 3 week tour. because they did it, constantly having to plan when and where to burn energy as they weren't just going to get a refill. how completely ludicrous it is when we have to listen to a rider today talk about their "preparation". it is meaningless for reasons that are made clear in the clinic.

my only argument against lemond's comments is that they are irrelevant unless professional cycling can purge the use of blood bags entirely. i do not mean to bring clinic material into this thread -- but i wanted to express my one critique of having a lemond article on form/shape/prep for a grand tour today.

fatandfast said:
20 years already!! How many more times can he tell this story. PS what about us regular people that replace our chain and cogs at the same time. The Lemond trainer design is great for guys with a pro mech.Guys who are always riding brand new stuff. Putting a worn chain on a brand new cog set like on his trainer looks like a disaster

The answer is simple...change your chain every 2000 to 3000 km. You probably roll on a pretty sweet bike...treat it nice and it'll stay sweet longer.

Morgazano said:

Fignon had the option of using all the available aero equipment and chose not to.

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
woodie said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/greg-lemond/surviving-off-days-and-racing-to-paris

Is it just me or does it seem like Lemond is trying to talk himself up?? Like I can see what he's trying to do but it sounds like he's a little desperate to relive the past.

No, it doesn't seem like he's trying to talk himself up. He merely raises a point that is overlooked or ignored by the sensationalist media.

Also, for those that attribute LeMond's 1989 win to a massive technology advantage over Fignon are forgetting that Fignon ran double disks. While LeMond's TT bars were a significant advantage, a lot of that advantage was offset by Fignon's front disk wheel.

The 1989 Tour was a great battle, its much more enjoyable to watch the Tour when the outcome is less clear.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
woodburn said:
He is being asked to write a column about his experiences in the Tour. Of course it is going to come off as self-indulgent.

He is being asked, or he offered?

Lemond is amazingly self-indulgent - we found that out when he started his eponymous bike company, which had no meaningful design innovation, and named all the different models after his world championship venues.

Lemond thought his bike-handling skills would make him a world class race car driver, too - and he failed completely there.

Lemond had his successes, including marriage and family, young and has been desperately trying to re-establish his relevance ever since his last success (Tour duPont, 1992, I believe).

After Lemond retired, he immediately gained 30 pounds and his hair turned gray. Growing old sucks - some handle it better than others. Highly-successful athletes seem to handle it less well.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
woodie said:

Its not just you. All three of his posts so far headline something current and the first few paragraphs vaguely address the point. After that it drifts into some story about the glory days chalked full of "me" and "I". Reminds me of some crusty old grandpa saying "well sonny, back when i was young, we walked up the hills BOTH ways to school....and then all of a sudden everyone else was getting faster...so they must all be doping!". They dont even make sense, especially the first one that breifly talks about a roundabout way for (him) to peak then delves into sponsors, sleep deprivation, how other cyclists are magically getting faster (in relation to him) and of course his diggs on LA. So glad I know more about the art of peaking.

Seems like if you criticize Lemond your automatically a Lance fan or vice versa on this board. I used to love Lemond but his rampant mouth and arrogance dont appeal to me at all, not to mention his need to blame everyone else for anything that goes wrong. For me its not Lance vs Lemond, its I happen to like Lance and I happen to dislike Lemond, two separate issues and more to do with what each has contributed to this world in a positive or negative way.

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
--about the new LeMond Trainer--why would you be riding a 'worn' chain anyway? you don't have to have a pro mechanic to know how to measure a chain and replace it when needed. if you do regular bike maintainance, you would know that you have to measure a chain every now and then so you can just replace the chain and not the entire drivetrain (cassette, chainrings and chain). i got a chance to ride this trainer at the recent Ironman in Cour d'Lene, Idaho, and i was incredibly impressed. i own 3 trainers, but this one feels unlike anything else i've ever tried. there are no dead spots and it feels as smooth as riding rollers. the inertia was very impressive.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
When someone is asked to write articles about their time racing the tour, of course its going to be about them. Why does everyone rip on Greg when he talks about doping, then rips on him when he talks about something else.What do you want him to talk about? You are all just looking for something to nitpick at.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
No he didn't.

Everyone in the race knew the bars were legal going in. He was the only one who chose to use them. He also wore a TT helmet while Fignon rode with his pony-tail out and flapping. Fignon was even offered the bars before the last TT... but chose not to use them since he hadn't trained on them.

Fignon could have won if he had gotten a hair cut... bars or no.

Some of the 7-11's used them as well

Why is it that every time there is a lemond article some new poster appears to slag him? Public strategies?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Interesting that LeMond doesn't mention the equipment advantage . Fignon lost less time in the stage 5 TT which was 3(!) times longer than the final stage so it couldn't have been TT form alone as LeMond is suggesting.
For quite some time (well into the Lance era), Lemond held the record for the fastest TT. I havent checked records recently, but I suspect his time is still top five.

That is not to say Lemond doped, only that much of the argument against a undoped peloton last decade revolved around historical comparisons. It is a convienent, but flawed argument.

TRENDING THREADS