• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Website.

Do you have any particular aspects that are driving this reaction or are you just saying it to have some fun trolling the new site with a thread that you've started at the expense of other peoples hard work? If there's nothing that particularly stands out then this thread will be locked.

As I'm getting used to where everything is in the forums, they are a definite improvement. However, the main website is a problem. It's become more confusing and harder to navigate.

Editing to add issue with the forums when access from my phone (android) there are no page numbers for threads in the forum and those really need to be there.

Last edited:
Here are some issues I’ve encountered while spending a few minutes trying to catch up on the Vuelta: On iPad and apple telephone I’m unable to move ads blocking paragraphs worth of text; results load very slowly, if at all; each row of results section very wide, requiring extensive scrolling; in large font view all photos and corresponding captions scroll consecutively resulting in extensive scrolling to get to content of article below, if the article fully loads at all. Layout is harder to follow - not very intuitive.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019
Visit site
I access the site mainly through an iPad. Annoying issues I’ve experienced since the change are adverts appearing across text, and text being too wide for the screen - not by much, but enough to be a problem.

Reactions: oldoneneveragoodone
I was just complaining to my wife about how much I hated the Velonews site rework, and then you lot go and do the same. I used to read Cyclingnews and Velonews every day. Now I read Velonews once a week. Looks like I'm not ging to be reading Cycling news as much either now. Shame. I even turn off my adblocker for you. The redesign just doesn't work for me. I don't want to have to scroll through 20 full page pictures to find the one article I'm looking for. With the previous design, everything was easily accessible in a single page with appropriately sized thumbnails. Why is everyone trying to make their news sites look like a iPhone app? I despise apps. I despise the app aesthetic. And with you and Velonews ruining your sites in a short time fram, I'll likely read less cycling news. Maybe I'll become a mountain biker just because PinkBike hasn't ruined their site yet. So, either put a "classic mode" button (which would take any competent programmer 5 minutes to whip together from all your previous source code) or recommend a cycling news site that hasn't adopted catastrophically ugly and dumbed down design aesthetics. Text is not "visual clutter." Do not let front end developers trick you. They want money. And they will ruin perfectly functional websites in order to get it.

Reactions: Koronin
Do you have any particular aspects that are driving this reaction or are you just saying it to have some fun trolling the new site with a thread that you've started at the expense of other peoples hard work? If there's nothing that particularly stands out then this thread will be locked.
Yes. First off, this forum. Why does each reply have to take up half my browser window?
Furthermore, the landing page is horrific. I have to scroll to even see what the first article is. Header bars are covering at least a third of the screen and another third is taken up by the advertisment.
In addition, the old logo was better. Now you look like lower-case FedEx. Headlines look rubbish now.
Also, on the homepage ,what's up with the lack of title casing? Have you decided that nothing you write is worthy of an uppercase letter? Sure makes me want to read "Vuelta a Espana: Monster rider of the day." But wait! When you click on an article, and other articles appear in the sidebar, they suddenly have title casing again! The consistency is baffling. Just use standard journalistic practices and capitalise the words in your titles. (Note that you've omitted the tilde above the "n" in "Vuelta a Espana.")
I also miss: Detailed descriptions below the article, going a day without seeing obvious sponsored content, results that didn't fill my whole browser with unnecessary white space, serifs, and the use of a fontset that actually includes all the characters you use on a regular basis.

Also, tell whoever posted the stage 9 vuelta report that when they used "insert character" to insert the "č" in Roglič that they forgot to unbold it.

I could go on. The change makes the site look like it's being run by a couple of morons with a Wix account. It looks much less professional, no matter what your web devs tell you about progressive web design. They're full of it.

I click normally on live or trending or race results. Using normally a laptop or Amazon fire tablet or other Android tablet, w normal bandwidth for my residential service I don't experience too many problems.
I used to use Steephill . TV race dashboard updates, and again it didn't take forever. I personally don't expect lots of excitement from a curb to curb sprint finish,that someone else is typing in..
I would like a start list menu on all classics and major races asap..I like to see who was included on team roster picks,

TRENDING THREADS