• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

new wheels

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Just put some new wheels on my bike at the weekend, as i had it on the stand ready to put the winter set back on i noticed on back-pedaling that the rear wheel spun round backwards as thought there's a lot of resistance which i guess means on freewheeling there must be resistance as well?. has anyone any experience of this? the wheels are carbone SL's, thanks in advance

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Take them back to the bike shop.
The seals in the free hub are sticking they will wear free eventualy but may cause damage if they havnt been installed properly.
what wheels are they??

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Take them back to the bike shop.
The seals in the free hub are sticking they will wear free eventualy but may cause damage if they havnt been installed properly.
what wheels are they??

thanks brianF7 they're cosmic carbone sl's guess it's to what degree they're backspinning that's the problem, or are wheels never supposed to backspin?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Mavic wheels are notorious for this problem, most of them have it to some degree when new. Fortunately the rear hub is easy to take apart and lube. I'd take them back to the shop you bought them from and ask them to pull the freehub body and make sure it's lubed correctly. If it is, and the problem isn't too severe (in other words it doesn't cause your chain to go slack when freewheeling) just ride them and do long descents where you don't have to pedal much whenever possible. The seals will break-in and the problem will go away after a few hundred miles.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
When the bike is on the stand, and you give the wheel a forward spin by hand, does it want to pull the cranks along, or spin-down really quickly? If so then yeah, get it replaced/repaired. If not, I don't think there is too much to worry about.

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
thanks to you both for those responses, have taken your advice and get some miles on quickly before the 30 day exchange warranty runs out seems to be the thing to do hopefully all will loosen up - thanks again

boianchimoon said:
Just put some new wheels on my bike at the weekend, as i had it on the stand ready to put the winter set back on i noticed on back-pedaling that the rear wheel spun round backwards as thought there's a lot of resistance which i guess means on freewheeling there must be resistance as well?. has anyone any experience of this? the wheels are carbone SL's, thanks in advance

Mavic freehubs, the FTS-L one, is very draggy and needs frequent service. A bike shop(or you, just need a 10mm allen and 5mm allen) can take apart, clean, OIL(not grease) and reassemble. a .5mm axle spacer under the freehub along with the supplied 1mm is a good idea as well...to raise the freehub a wee bit off the very draggy seal under the freehub body. Poor design all around, when compared to other, 3 pawl freehubs.

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Mavic freehubs, the FTS-L one, is very draggy and needs frequent service. A bike shop(or you, just need a 10mm allen and 5mm allen) can take apart, clean, OIL(not grease) and reassemble. a .5mm axle spacer under the freehub along with the supplied 1mm is a good idea as well...to raise the freehub a wee bit off the very draggy seal under the freehub body. Poor design all around, when compared to other, 3 pawl freehubs.

Thanks BustedKnuckle, tho' am getting confused by conflicting advice now oil or grease is this a personal preference or is there a definitive answer for these freehubs?

boianchimoon said:
Thanks BustedKnuckle, tho' am getting confused by conflicting advice now oil or grease is this a personal preference or is there a definitive answer for these freehubs?

I have overhauled many...use oil for the pawls, base of the freehub, big seal on the bottom. I use Mobil One since it doesn't get thick when it gets cold but not grease.

TRENDING THREADS