• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Noisey Drivetrains

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm a diehard Campy fan but my 6 yr ole Chorus cassette is startin to bother me..I know Shimano an Shram are quiter, right?? Which maker is over all the smoothest an quitest?? I ride a 15 yr ole Trek carbon bike...if THAT matters ...Thnx:confused:

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Campy is notorious for their noisy, mechanical sounding drives. Check the barrel adjuster on the rear der. and make sure it's lined up with the respective cog. If everything is lined up and shifting correct, how bout some lube?

Oh...If your chainrings are as old as the bike, they might be generating some noise too. Worn out drive parts will get loud no matter the mfg.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
stargate69 said:
I'm a diehard Campy fan but my 6 yr ole Chorus cassette is startin to bother me..I know Shimano an Shram are quiter, right?? Which maker is over all the smoothest an quitest?? I ride a 15 yr ole Trek carbon bike...if THAT matters ...Thnx:confused:

6 years old? Perhaps it's time to replace this 'consumable'? shimano are not quieter and sram is known to have the noisiest cogsets(powerdome). New chain, new cogset(Veloce!), check your chainrings, adjust well.

TRENDING THREADS