• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Non WT events that you rate higher than WT events

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
IMO:

Andalucía >> Tour Down Under, California, Abu Dhabi
La Panne, Trentino >> Turkey, Guanxi
Paris Tours, Brabanstje Pijl, Milano Torino >> Cadel Evans, Dwars, Frankfurt, London

Giro dell'Emilia is a personal favourite of mine. I'd rank that higher than all the one day races you've mentioned; plus even races like Omloop and the Canadian 'classics'. It generally attracts a good field and has seen some great racing over the last few years.

Plus, Madonna di San Luca. :cool:

Tre Valli Varesine hasn't been mentioned yet... that can be added to the list including Tro Bro, Paris-Tours, Trentino, Burgos, de Panne, Andalucía.

In the Women's World Tour it's even more clear - two of the most prestigious stage races of all, Emakumeen Bira and Thüringen Rundfahrt, aren't WT, while a pan-flat race around a Chinese offshore island that half the major teams don't bother with is.

Does Tour of Turkey actually exist anymore?
I know it hasn't officially been cancelled, but let's be honest; what are the odds of it actually surviving?
It's a shame, really. It was a nice race, as a lower-tier one. Some races are good specifically because they aren't WT; allows for a much more varied field of riders.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Does Tour of Turkey actually exist anymore?
I know it hasn't officially been cancelled, but let's be honest; what are the odds of it actually surviving?
It's a shame, really. It was a nice race, as a lower-tier one. Some races are good specifically because they aren't WT; allows for a much more varied field of riders.
Last years edition was one of the best 1-week races of 2016, with a great stage 2 and an epic stage 3. Also the MTF wasn't bad and stage 1 was pretty interesting as well (guessing and waiting about how big Niemiec's advantage will be)

I actually really liked the Tour of Turkey as a smaller stage race. But since they announced that it will become a WT race I really disrelish this race since it suddenly feels like a race which tried to buy its significance instead of earning it.