Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 105 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

search said:
python said:
in that regard, the course profile may prove important. here it is:
http://medias4.fis-ski.com/pdf/2016/CC/2125/2016CC2125PROG.pdf
with the now reduced distance of 3.5k per lap, the profile should looks somewhat different though. Here is the one from the official race website - no idea if this is the course which may be used or not though

http://skitourcanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/plan_montrea_george_etienne_cartier_web_profil.pdf
So they merely shortened the laps, but will do it more times now? What was it originally? Was the distance always the same or was that shortened as well? It seems like they have plenty of snow.
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
Re: Re:

search said:
python said:
in that regard, the course profile may prove important. here it is:
http://medias4.fis-ski.com/pdf/2016/CC/2125/2016CC2125PROG.pdf
with the now reduced distance of 3.5k per lap, the profile should looks somewhat different though. Here is the one from the official race website - no idea if this is the course which may be used or not though

http://skitourcanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/plan_montrea_george_etienne_cartier_web_profil.pdf
the courses i linked to (both the lady's and for men) were taken from the fis official attachment. it shows 2 loop.
a 4km for men and a 3.24 for women. since the announced distances were 13 km for the ladies - or 4x3.24 and 20 km for men - or 5x4, it appears the that the loop posted on the organizers website was a preliminary, unofficial attempt to just point out the terrain. note, the 3.5 km loop would not devide evenly into the announced official distances.

but, as in the past, the fis occasionally posted inconsistent or even contradictory information..

since i saw no official fis announcement about changing race distances, i think what i linked to will be what they will race on...in just 15 minutes we will find out as the ladies are about to start :)

edit: i just saw the post about the shortening the race. if so, let it be.
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
when the women compete distance, there is no reason to pay any attention to the racing action...but i did notice the steep hills, the soft conditions and the wind...almost certain, we will nor see skating skis...petter may work his arse off to stay abreast with sundby. will ustiugov be able to herringbone apace ?
 
Re: Re:

Kokoso said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Singer01 said:
i can't believe i miss almost the full XC WC on holiday. only going to get to see the mixed relay, which men do the Norwegians pick? surely the Boe brothers have that wrapped up, regardless of Svendson/OEB being the bigger stars.
It will be the Boe brothers - with Eckhoff and Olsbu. Quite a strong team, but I think the Czechs and Germany are bigger favourites. France is an outsider aswell, if the weaker links in the chain perform well. I think the russians need more depth on the women's side, while Italy lacks class athletes on the men's side - in order to win, atleast.
Czechs are not this time, I can see only one man doing decently.
Unfortunately Moravec has decided not to participate due to sickness, so I agree with you. It will be difficult to win, except if Gabi and Veronika has made up a huge advantage before the 3rd exchange.
 
Jan 3, 2016
300
0
0
Thx Bullsfan and Frenchfry for the answer to my question.

Northug seems to be having to work harder than would seem necessary. Waxing issue? The cold seems to be keeping the snow deep and loose on the uphills. It's a pleasure seeing a race taking place in the cold and on wild snow.
 
Impressive stuff from Ustiugov. Really is. To lead most of the race, to go in front in soft (but cold and blustery conditions) on this type of course, gapping Sundby and almost beating strong guys that just sat behind him until the last 5 minutes of the race is great. I hope he didn't exhaust himself too much. Luckily for him there is a day off tomorrow. Maybe that's what he was thinking before and during the race "I am in excellent shape, I didn't race in Lahti, I came to Canada earlier to prepare, it's cold, and I'll take it to the Norwegians." Hats off for that.
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
ustiugov raced the way sundby did all season taking the charge of the front for at least 90% + of time... except he risked it on his courage, training and a calculation, rather than a known margin of superiority proven by the previous races. . also note, northug almost never raced this way...means - ustiugov was gutsy, smart, confident. enabling the norges the shelter of his back around the entire course allowed them to steal the several seconds they did. my opinion - he would crush them if it was a skating race where he's, by his own admission, much more proficient.

still, my hat's off also to iversen, to petter for his persiverance and to vyleg.

sundby will not win this tour, imho, though he did fight as a lion.

a lion on a medication to cure the very essence of any winter sport - the cold air ;) ;)
 
Re:

python said:
ustiugov raced the way sundby did all season taking the charge of the front for at least 90% + of time... except he risked it on his courage, training and a calculation, rather than a known margin of superiority proven by the previous races. . also note, northug almost never raced this way...means - ustiugov was gutsy, smart, confident. enabling the norges the shelter of his back around the entire course allowed them to steal the several seconds they did. my opinion - he would crush them if it was a skating race where he's, by his own admission, much more proficient.

still, my hat's off also to iversen, to petter for his persiverance and to vyleg.

sundby will not win this tour, imho, though he did fight as a lion.

a lion on a medication to cure the very essence of any winter sport - the cold air ;) ;)
Isn't it kind of funny that his asthma doesn't seem to hinder him when it's cold and blustery? It wasn't particularly cold, but with the humidity and the wind, it couldn't have been too comfortable for the skiers out there.
 
Mar 4, 2013
36
0
8,580
python said:
i am just wondering, what's wrong with eating local and what' s in that norwegian food that it has to be the choice for them :confused:
sounds understandable to prefer the national cuisine, but a little weird nonetheless :rolleyes:
I think it’s a question of learning from the best. In Gunde Svan’s heydays, I remember the media being full of stories of how picky he was regarding food and how many kilos of food he brought to competitions outside of Sweden. Judging from his merits, it’s hard to say he was wrong.
...att Gunde hade med sig 200kg egen mat till OS i Calgary -88? – Nej, det var faktiskt 70 kg! Det låter som om ryktena blir värre och värre med åren.
http://www.salenweekend.se/tidningar/1956049580/pdf/1956049580.pdf

BullsFan22 said:
Isn't it kind of funny that his asthma doesn't seem to hinder him when it's cold and blustery? It wasn't particularly cold, but with the humidity and the wind, it couldn't have been too comfortable for the skiers out there.
Not exactly accurate. MJS (as Falla and Hattestad) tends quite regularly to underperform when it gets really cold, because of his asthma. The Norwegian team expects him to struggle in the -20C that is predicted in Quebec.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts