• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Oakley Friends W/LeMond Again?

Oakley Friendly W/LeMond Again?

In the August 2014 issue of "Bicycling Magazine", when you open the mag up, the first 2 pages, one of them(the inside cover)has a pic of LeMond with some caption about being old school and so forth, I almost fell off my chair laughing so hard from it(I'll upload the pics from it a bit later, as I haven't gotten them from my phone yet). He's in his La Vie Claire team kit(which I'm assuming is from 85/86ish-sporting the old Pilots).

I found this to be not only laughable, but interesting as well. For a company who hitched their wagon to Wonderboy, and rode him for all they could get from him, all the while marginalizing LeMond and distancing themselves from his past with the company, I do find this to be hilarious. What a fraud/phoney company they are.

Seems Jokely has tried to save face here?

What say Ye all?

I understand your reaction but what do you honestly expect from them? They are trying to sell shades and make money, not trying to be consistent in their allegiances.

The bigger question is what are you doing looking at Bicycling Magazine?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Makes me wonder what Greg thinks of it.

Greg seems to be rewriting the past. Travelling in the car last year with the likes of Hinault, Indurain and Merckx really sucked.

Seems Greg really only had a problem with Armstrong's doping.:mad:

Benotti69 said:
Greg seems to be rewriting the past. Travelling in the car last year with the likes of Hinault, Indurain and Merckx really sucked.

Seems Greg really only had a problem with Armstrong's doping.:mad:

The SOL my friend...I agree with you, just saying. Plus, I've never known or read where Hinault doped(it's always been a suspicion here for some, but when asked to provide links, none have been posted), but you're right, it does seem hypocritical. Miggy (in many people's ops, has doped too, and Merckx has at least admitted to taking some kind of banned substances).

86TDFWinner said:
The SOL my friend...I agree with you, just saying. Plus, I've never known or read where Hinault doped(it's always been a suspicion here for some, but when asked to provide links, none have been posted), but you're right, it does seem hypocritical. Miggy (in many people's ops, has doped too, and Merckx has at least admitted to taking some kind of banned substances).

Hinault refused a test at the Critérium de Callac in the early 80's. I think he was suspended.

Not exactly a reason for LeMond to publicly denounce him, now is it? Given their history? And Merckx? Sure, I can see where he'd be pretty bugged by Indurain.

But come on guys, if Greg was hanging onto resentment after all this time I'd be far more surprised. It's been 20 years since he retired, and those guys didn't attack him, his livelihood and reputation like Armstrong did.

People need to get a grip.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Hinault refused a test at the Critérium de Callac in the early 80's. I think he was suspended.

Not exactly a reason for LeMond to publicly denounce him, now is it? Given their history? And Merckx? Sure, I can see where he'd be pretty bugged by Indurain.

But come on guys, if Greg was hanging onto resentment after all this time I'd be far more surprised. It's been 20 years since he retired, and those guys didn't attack him, his livelihood and reputation like Armstrong did.

People need to get a grip.

Yes it is a long time ago. But these same guys didn't hold their hands up and say sorry we doped, dont do it like us, we were idiots.....

As for Armstrong Vs LeMond, it was LeMond who started the fight by labelling him (rightly) as the Greatest sporting Fraud.....

He never labelled Indurain the greatest fraud etc etc.......

It is rather hypocritical, when the sport has not proven itself to be much much cleaner, for LeMond to hanging out with all these dopers and not mention it.

Yes it is a long time ago. But these same guys didn't hold their hands up and say sorry we doped, dont do it like us, we were idiots.....

Yep. Infact, Miggy and Merckx seem to never want to discuss the subject, and most folks don't find anything wrong with that. I do, I think if you're going to strip: Floyd/Alberto/Wonderboy/Pantani/etc, and are willing to go back there, then why aren't you willing to go back further and strip others? oh right, the SOL. So basically, known/admitted dopers are protected by an SOL, while others who may/may not have done what they did, get busted and stripped, while the others, ride off scott free, then pass judgement onto the current dopers.

As for Armstrong Vs LeMond, it was LeMond who started the fight by labelling him (rightly) as the Greatest sporting Fraud.....

This too.

Because Miggy hides behind his curtain and no one dare question him about doping, or if he did.:rolleyes:

It is rather hypocritical, when the sport has not proven itself to be much much cleaner, for LeMond to hanging out with all these dopers and not mention it.

You and Flanders are right here, I don't agree w/Greg doing this at all. It does make him look bad, so no arguments there. Maybe he realizes they won't do anything about it due to the SOL......I don't know.

Benotti69 said:

No, it's a very different time now. I would assume that neither Merckx or Hinault thinks doping won them a single race and they're probably quite right. Indurain is different, but again, should Lemond, 20or 30 years later publicly snub them for...that? I think if he did it would be remarkable. What on earth would it accomplish?

Or maybe it was the journalist who told him Armstrong was reputed to be working with Ferrari and asked him what he thought, or maybe it was Armstrong who went absolutely ballistic about a comment he could have reacted to very differently...to put it mildly.

Don't forget, at the time what he said was "if" Armstrong was indeed working for Ferrari...

You're putting your own beliefs and agenda on to Lemond. Probably safe to assume he doesn't share all your views.

This is all much ado about nothing IMO.

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Has lemond ever been asked about Indurain? If he hasn't then that would be a heckuva interesting reply...I would also like to know what Lemond would say about doping in general vs constantly being tied in with Armstrong personally.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
86TDFWinner said:
I do, I think if you're going to strip: Floyd/Alberto/Wonderboy/Pantani/etc, and are willing to go back there, then why aren't you willing to go back further and strip others?

Go all the way back and strip the victory of the first winner of Paris-Roubaix. It will put the Germans
back in bed with the Spaniards--never won a Hell of the North. And they won't like that ewe~.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
When a collective sheds so~ much light of suspicion on riders and how they've arrived at their form
and via principle eliminated any consideration of clean wins then what does it matter if the "tainted"
results remain.

__________________ I know, I know, it's a Sisyphean and that's so~ Clinic.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
86TDFWinner said:
In the August 2014 issue of "Bicycling Magazine", when you open the mag up, the first 2 pages, one of them(the inside cover)has a pic of LeMond with some caption about being old school and so forth, I almost fell off my chair laughing so hard from it(I'll upload the pics from it a bit later, as I haven't gotten them from my phone yet). He's in his La Vie Claire team kit(which I'm assuming is from 85/86ish-sporting the old Pilots).

I found this to be not only laughable, but interesting as well. For a company who hitched their wagon to Wonderboy, and rode him for all they could get from him, all the while marginalizing LeMond and distancing themselves from his past with the company, I do find this to be hilarious. What a fraud/phoney company they are.

Seems Jokely has tried to save face here?

What say Ye all?

I bumped this topic a month or so ago, but mistakenly did so in a PRR thread. My request to the mods to have it moved to The Clinic for relevant discussion was ignored. So here it is again:

Granville57 said:
Jeezus. With one hundred different Lemond threads to choose from, I guess this one is appropriate (and I haven't even bother to read beyond the title).

Anyway...

Now OAKLEY is going even further with their hypocritical support of Greg Lemond.

Greg Lemond: Disruptor Series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpu5rjJPBHs

What a bunch of cowardly hypocrites the bike industry is full of.
All this Lemond love only came into play in the aftermath of USADA's Reasoned Decision. Tygart splashed some water on the Wicked Witch from Austin, and that made it safe for everyone to embrace Lemond again.

Is Greg any different today than he was five, six, seven years ago?
I've personally heard both dealers and reps bad mouth Lemond when Lance was still at the height of his powers. Now the whole industry acts as if Greg was recently unfrozen from a time capsule.

Greg! So nice to have you back! We ALWAYS loved you! You were an inspiration to all of us of for so long! WE LOVE YOU GREG LEMOND!

Of course we were far too afraid to mention any of this when Lance was still in power...BUT WE REALLY DO LOVE YOU NOW!

Btw, can we use you to sell our products again? WE LOVE YOU! Did we mention that part?

The entire industry has amnesia. Unbelievable. The guy was a leper, for how long? Now, he's the patron saint of products.

Not putting any of this blame on Greg. It's this new found chorus of gushing support that is so despicable in light of the fact that few in the industry dared stick up for him for so long.

What's next? The new Trek Badger Slayer? (Limited Edition, of course) :rolleyes:

It's safe now! Lance is gone. Yay.

Hypocrites.

Btw, that whole "disruptor" stye of video editing is annoying beyond words. Good job marketing crew.

[Edit]
Apologies. I had assumed that this old thread had Clinic origins, but only just realized otherwise. If a mod wants to move, please do.

86TDFWinner said:

His infamous knee problems were a result of steroid use. Fignon too. Steroids were a very blunt instrument for performance enhancement. You got short term gain, but long term use led to joint problems, liver problems, and a number of other nasty problems.

Is Greg any different today than he was five, six, seven years ago?
I've personally heard both dealers and reps bad mouth Lemond when Lance was still at the height of his powers. Now the whole industry acts as if Greg was recently unfrozen from a time capsule.

I had the same experience at Chain Reaction in Redwood City, CA. Just slamming LeMond when I asked why they didn't carry his bikes anymore. Petty, personal gripes. Nothing to do with doping. Just "we hate him because he's hurting our business (= Lance)".

Haven't been back since, easy boycott. Lance and Postal posters all over the place, nothing but TREK bikes etc.

Wonder what it looks like now. Not enough to go back, but I wonder.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
I had the same experience at Chain Reaction in Redwood City, CA. Just slamming LeMond when I asked why they didn't carry his bikes anymore. Petty, personal gripes. Nothing to do with doping. Just "we hate him because he's hurting our business (= Lance)".

Haven't been back since, easy boycott. Lance and Postal posters all over the place, nothing but TREK bikes etc.

I actually think it's bad business practice to take sides like this on athletes, you dont see that much in other sports. This feud between Lance/Lemond is one of the most prolific I think I'm trying to think of anything else that can compare and I cant, can anyone think of a sports marketing feud that's comparable?

Anyways being sided is a negative for all of business I think, you should never blacklist or pick on people as it will come back to haunt you.

BigBoat said:
I actually think it's bad business practice to take sides like this on athletes, you dont see that much in other sports. This feud between Lance/Lemond is one of the most prolific I think I'm trying to think of anything else that can compare and I cant, can anyone think of a sports marketing feud that's comparable?

Anyways being sided is a negative for all of business I think, you should never blacklist or pick on people as it will come back to haunt you.

You'd think right? But A LOT of these folks were duped by Cancer Jesus, and like all of his sponsors, are now looking stupid and foolish for backing the doper.
I've said this a few times here, I will NEVER support Trek or Jokely, and will not give them 1 dime of my money, no matter how much schmoozing they do to Greg now.

Similar instance a few years back @ InCycle in Pasadena, walked in to talk about bikes, I asked if they had any LeMond bikes, because I was a huge fan. The ****** bag salesman says:"I'm sorry to hear that, that guy's a real d&&^% head". When I asked him why he'd say that, he got all defensive and said "Oh, he can't keep his mouth shut. He tried to bury Lance a few years back, big deal, everyone was doping". I just said I was looking and never bought a bike from them.

LOL, The ball washing of LeMond by Jokely continues (& is quit sickening to see considering all that's happened-While everyone here knows I'm a huge LeMond fan, You don't say?:p, and it's always great seeing him on tv, or hearing him talk about the sport). I have to continue to LOL at Jokely, and their "sudden" re-interest in LeMond, and promoting him in any way. He helped put them on the map as far as cycling goes, and getting their product out to the masses. They abandoned him like a sinking ship once Wonderboy comes on the scene, even aligning themselves with Wonderboy(and alienating LeMond, and basically crapping all over him). Anyways, this was just posted on some cycling site(road.cc i think), and had to share it with you all.

(My apologies if it's already been posted):

http://youtu.be/UtiS8BPDsPI

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
If the two faced but ultimately cold, hard business heads of Oakley want to give Greg millions of dollars for marketing with the whiff of reparation I'm happy for lemond to reap the corn while it lasts.

However if Trek offers him millions for bike deals I can only imagine the satisfaction he'll get by giving them the finger, unless they pay extra for the loss of earnings when they stitched him up to appease the Ponzi pedaller and their huge increase in profits of course ;)