• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Obesity is a disease

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Polyarmour said:
Does anyone else have this problem?

I turn up at my local race venue and compare myself to others.
I'm not the skinniest, not the fattest, I'm about midway compared to the guys I race against.
At 6ft1 & 78kgs I'm thinking I'd be happy if I lost a couple more kgs.
Yet I go to work and I constantly get comments about my weight.
Too skinny, wasting away, gone too far with the cycling, obsessed, no strength etc.
I have normal BMI for my age and height. Not even athletic.
These comments are coming from fat people who would be mortally wounded if I pointed out their shortcomings.

I read the other day about a condition called Fatorexia.
People look in the mirror and can't see that they're fat.
Coz everyone else is fat too. It's normalized.

I'm 181cm and 70 kgs at racing weight. I hear you :eek:

42x16ss said:
Very true, he is looking a bit porky but when you look at the long term effects associated with the type of diets he was appealing against, you can only have praise for his intentions.

Actually I did watch that series and I was flabbergasted.
Every meal (before Jamie came along) was taken out of the freezer and deep fried.

It's the sedentary, mechanized lifestyle that's killed us, coupled with an excessive abundance of food in the developed world and our culture of conspicuous consumption. That and the fact that most people today are lazy. Telling people to simply go to the gym and drink Diet Coke, without adressing the wider market and cultural issues will accomplish nothing in the long run. Society, at large, is getting, and will continue to get, fatter. Though science may invent a way arround all of this by "correcting" us genetically.

There's no turning back the clock of course, but just look at this photo archive:

http://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2013/10/29/foto/royal_mail-69736572/1/?ref=HREC1-37#1

TRENDING THREADS