• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Off-topic" photos

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

python said:
c'mon dim !

if you have the sufficient interest, time and patience in reading the entire thread, you certainly could have afforded another 2 minutes to read or brush through francois's input.

you're one of my favourite posters here, but your quoted post is poor, not respectful and tbh - stupid.

I should have phrased it better, it was more a reply to bro deal than a critisism of francois.

Its nothing to do with patience or anything else. I cant actually focus on large pieces of text. Its health related. I had to copy the landis interview, and print it out, and then read it in sittings over several hours. I can do about two full paragraphs, and by paragraph three my eyes wander and my brain goes nuts.

Last week going through my cv with my "coach" we had to do it in three sittings because he was saying "where you say blah blah" and i couldnt actually find the phrases. Same with any long articles, i have to just pick the key bits out. Anything else i just have to copy, and print and read off paper. Im not really supposed to be spending too long on the computer ;)

But yeh, badly worded, was not meant in a lazy way.

The one i really struggle with is posts where people dont hit carriage return and just put one big block. I cant read those at all and dont even bother.

(this is also why you will notice in my posts I split them up into lots of lines and put..... between sentances to make spaces. I cant read my own posts else... :D)

python said:
c'mon dim !

if you have the sufficient interest, time and patience in reading the entire thread, you certainly could have afforded another 2 minutes to read or brush through francois's input.

Dude, it is a matter of proportionality. A trivial subject like whether too many pics can clutter a thread should not require a zillion line post. People won't read it because the subject is not important enough to spend that amount of time. It's like someone lecturing for three hours on the mating habits of the striped Brazilian mollusk. At some point--not long into the lecture mind you--people will start feigning the need to use the restroom and they won't come back.

That said, I do think that CN has done a good job choosing mods who are level headed. Compared to mods at many other places, the mods here are world class statesmen.

TeamSkyFans said:
The one i really struggle with is posts where people dont hit carriage return and just put one big block. I cant read those at all and dont even bother.

Those suck, but it can be worse. I cannot even skim some people's posts. Aside from the lack of carriage returns, little to no punctuation, and a sentence structure...

BroDeal said:
That said, I do think that CN has done a good job choosing mods who are level headed. Compared to mods at many other places, the mods here are world class statesmen.

Thanks. It's appreciated. Still feel that way after we edited your post?! I believe we kept the most pertinent points in tact. :)

I don't think people realize just how much work it is being a mod/admin. Actually, I know they don't. Every mod that's joined has been almost instantly shell shocked and quickly overwhelmed.

With that attention disconnect what on earth do you do for work, Dim?? Something with constant interaction, and little or no reading... like a printing press operator, or air traffic control..?

I'm going to add my 2 pence worth here. If you have ever been on any other forums, you will be able to appreciate the quality and freedom to post on here. It's great to listen to others, and I admit that I am probably older than some(many) posters on here...and sometimes I can get a little tired of the slide toward the 'immature' or posters that seem to be looking for a pat on the back w/r to their post, maybe like the 'class clown' mentality.

Mainly, there is good conversation and a lot of knowledge and personal experience shared in the threads. I think each one of us on here gives the others some space, but sometimes you need to realize that maybe a picture posted for 'humour' is done too knee-jerk, and some get 'stupid' or dare I say 'sexist'....

Preening needs to be done in public I guess, but there are other places on this forum where you can deal with some of this better than others. IMHO most of the Clinic topics are geared toward a little more thoughtfulness and maturity, so if you really need to post a pic check to see if there might be a better place to get your yucks out of it.

Attacking the mods for 'prowling' seems a little 'adolescent' mentality.
It's interesting to see the 'personalities' that are on here, so let's have some mutual respect.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
With that attention disconnect what on earth do you do for work, Dim?? Something with constant interaction, and little or no reading... like a printing press operator, or air traffic control..?

I dont, I was an extremely hyperactive non-stop, do ten things at once retail manager for 15 years. Then my brain went pop big style two years ago. Just working on the new slow, calm dim now and starting to investigate complete career change and a return to work. Concentration problems have been one of the jolly side effects.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Brevity is indeed the soul of wit, but I see that Francois ze Postman has perhaps more on his mind than I do in this discussion.

•Like I said, I'll tone it down on the photos. Heck, even I think I've gone overboard on them. It also takes time to get good ones, and honestly, I'm getting tired of it. I realize that my posts can be a polarizing force, and will seek to have them be less so. So long as I can keep my tin-foil hat. I just wanted clarification about what makes an image "off-topic". The only hint of trouble I'd been given was when Susan once admonished me for a distasteful image. Then weeks went by and whammo, I get a PM saying essentially "Cease the off-topic images or face a ban". No "Psst, perhaps you might want to tone it down a bit?". If I don't know the temperature of the water, I don't know what I need to do. This was like getting a bucket of ice-water thrown on me.

• Susan (in contrast to the other mods) has a bit of a PR problem. While she may be busting her hump in the moderator areas we can't see, she has a general lack of balanced participation in the areas we can see. In her posts that we can see, in general, they usually involve admonishment and (often) threats of banishment. I now see that cat and I feel a cold breeze blowing. "Who's getting it this time?". Her style has been a bit abrupt in my opinion. I'd rather be able to remember her for the contributions, not for the threats.

I think we can all see that the mods are now "actively" trying to steer discussions into paths they see fit. But please don't use a cattle prod in doing so. Conversations in real life don't always stay rigidly on-point. Diversions happen (and are healthy). But I can understand the need to end a tangent at some point. Please do.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Just my two pence worth, as a new kid on the block.

Mods on here are very good and it's a thankless job (been there, done that and got the scars to prove it).

The odd pic is fine, it seasons a thread nicely but too many is like trying to eat a meal with half a pound of salt on top. Less is more...please.

Francois talks a lot of sense. Take that any way you like....;)

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
<snip>

• Susan (in contrast to the other mods) has a bit of a PR problem. While she may be busting her hump in the moderator areas we can't see, she has a general lack of balanced participation in the areas we can see. In her posts that we can see, in general, they usually involve admonishment and (often) threats of banishment. I now see that cat and I feel a cold breeze blowing. "Who's getting it this time?". Her style has been a bit abrupt in my opinion. I'd rather be able to remember her for the contributions, not for the threats. <snip>

If you think about it and look at Susan's past posts where she has gone to lengths to explain it, she is quite different from the other moderators in that she is a journalist employed by CN and has to maintain impartiality. Logically, she will not be chiming in on clinic threads, and it is unrealistic to expect her to do so.

Listen to Francois. ;) I believe he is trying to gently herd you in a certain direction.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
• Susan (in contrast to the other mods) has a bit of a PR problem. While she may be busting her hump in the moderator areas we can't see, she has a general lack of balanced participation in the areas we can see. In her posts that we can see, in general, they usually involve admonishment and (often) threats of banishment. I now see that cat and I feel a cold breeze blowing. "Who's getting it this time?". Her style has been a bit abrupt in my opinion. I'd rather be able to remember her for the contributions, not for the threats.

As discussed, Susan is an employee of CN and feels at times that she must not enter certain discussions so that her opinion is not seen as representative of CN.

The real problem is that for every person such as yourself calling for more mod contribution to discussions, there is someone else claiming that mods must not be allowed to post at all. The mods on CN live in the middle ground and are happy doing so.

I think we can all see that the mods are now "actively" trying to steer discussions into paths they see fit. But please don't use a cattle prod in doing so. Conversations in real life don't always stay rigidly on-point. Diversions happen (and are healthy)...

which is why the forum gods invented multiple threads. All we ask is that people start a new thread (if it doesn't already exist) and continue the tangential discussion there instead of dragging the existing thread off topic. We get complaints about chopping off topic discussion, but nowhere near as many as we do for the times we allow a thread to go off topic :D

Hence the discussion of the photos. One is possibly on topic now and then but too many and the thread ends up being about the images.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Hence the discussion of the photos. One is possibly on topic now and then but too many and the thread ends up being about the images.

A good example of this is the thread about when LAnce started doping, although the thread already veered off-topic the pictures in the thread ensured a flurry of posts that were solely about the pictures