• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think that he might eventually stop doing cyclocross and Jumbo will getting him a better team but after 4 attempts he only was close to winning Flanders once which is not ideal.

Looking forward to Brabantse Pijl, an important test before the World Championships and Amstel an important race for the team for obvious reasons. Plenty of time to recover after that.

Reactions: Sandisfan
During the race, I soon had the impression he was not at his very best. In such situations, he should learn to hide himself a bit more, not close gap after gap and ride in the front more than most other riders. It probably wouldn't have mattered in the end, but I do think he did too much work today (and yes, having a better team would've helped of course).

When talking about the team we shouldn't forget that Mike Teunissen was supposed to be his main helper for cobbles and got injured right before the classic campaign started.
Add David Dekker, who is probably going to improve a lot in the next couple of years and the team doesn't look that bad.
The lack of depth is a bit concerning though.

Reactions: jmdirt
When talking about the team we shouldn't forget that Mike Teunissen was supposed to be his main helper for cobbles and got injured right before the classic campaign started.
Add David Dekker, who is probably going to improve a lot in the next couple of years and the team doesn't look that bad.
The lack of depth is a bit concerning though.
A lot of it is also budget restraints. They don't have the Ineos budget despite wanting to compete with them.

Reactions: jmdirt
Analysing Sunday's race:
  1. they lacked depth, and Teunissen wouldn't have helped much I feel.
  2. Van Hooydonck (probably his best domestique) was neutralizing attacks way too early, while he should have saved himself.
  3. WvA himself neutralized too many attacks and was too much riding on the front of the group, even just after having neutralized an attack. That's the most vulnerable position for counter attacks.
  4. He was not the best rider (MvdP and Asgreen were a bit better, but not by much), but the constant attacks of Asgreen, Alaphilippe and especially MvdP efficiently destroyed him. It didn't help that, once the group of 6 was shaped, WvA did big turns on the front, instead of holding back a bit.

MvdP went deep to hurt him, and it hurt MvdP as much in the end. Asgreen could sit on a bit after his attack on Hotond (for around 8-9 Ks deep in the finale), so he was the fresher rider in the end. The difference between those 3 was too small to say that MvdP or WvA were over their top; I think both Asgreen, MvdP and WvA were at their very best in this race, but racing tactics decided who faltered first, and who had some energy in the tank, at the end.

Reactions: Red Rick and Ripper
Analysing Sunday's race:
  2. Van Hooydonck (probably his best domestique) was neutralizing attacks way too early, while he should have saved himself.
  3. WvA himself neutralized too many attacks and was too much riding on the front of the group, even just after having neutralized an attack. That's the most vulnerable position for counter attacks.
  4. He was not the best rider (MvdP and Asgreen were a bit better, but not by much), but the constant attacks of Asgreen, Alaphilippe and especially MvdP efficiently destroyed him. It didn't help that, once the group of 6 was shaped, WvA did big turns on the front, instead of holding back a bit.
MvdP went deep to hurt him, and it hurt MvdP as much in the end. Asgreen could sit on a bit after his attack on Hotond (for around 8-9 Ks deep in the finale), so he was the fresher rider in the end. The difference between those 3 was too small to say that MvdP or WvA were over their top; I think both Asgreen, MvdP and WvA were at their very best in this race, but racing tactics decided who faltered first, and who had some energy in the tank, at the end.
Largely agree, but I think very deep in the race you'll notice the effects of fatigue and ealrier races more whereas earlier hills will largely be down to intrinsic ability. Van Aert was struggling as early as 2nd Kwaremont, I don't think he was quite in tip top shape.

Reactions: Volderke
Analysing Sunday's race:

Good analysis!

The difference between those 3 was too small to say that MvdP or WvA were over their top; I think both Asgreen, MvdP and WvA were at their very best in this race, but racing tactics decided who faltered first, and who had some energy in the tank, at the end.
Asgreen may have been at his best, but I'd be surprised if the other two were anywhere near their absolute best; still good enough to be competitive, but not do what they did last year.

Reactions: Volderke
Asgreen may have been at his best, but I'd be surprised if the other two were anywhere near their absolute best; still good enough to be competitive, but not do what they did last year.
It's all relative ofcourse: they could have been better, but for example, if Asgreen wasn't there, it would have been another finale with only 2 riders (and a solo win by MvdP)...

Reactions: glassmoon

If Van der Poel was that far away from the best he wouldn't have been able to produce so many attacks in climbs. For Van Aert its more arguable although I think that it has to do with the different training that he has been doing.

He drived the whole bunch of climbers up Prati di Tivo, bar Yates and Pogacar, and now some 100m bergs are hurting him?! I don't buy that
Fair enough, but he and his team have indicated he is not at the ideal weight yet. He does appear a bit heavier than he did at the restart, although that is always a difficult thing to truly ID off the TV ;)

Anywho, long story short, my opinion is he is a bit heavy right now and that is hurting him. I think if he was at TdF weight he would have done better at TA (although maybe still not good enough) and, given his forte is not repeated hard efforts but more the sustained TT kind of effort, I think less weight would definitely make a difference by the end of a race like Flanders.

lol, where has that been stated? That's completely not the case, rather the opposite. They're equally important to him, but he's said Roubaix suits him more.
I'll have to dig, and perhaps I've inferred it because of his comments about Flanders and being Belgian and all. I would agree he is better suited to Roubaix, at least on paper I would think he is.

No need for "lols" though

Great win for Wout, this is a stunning way to cap off a successful spring campaign. Surely he could have won Paris Roubaix even in this human form. Next year hopefully he takes it a bit easier in some races to be in uber shape for the monuments.

Now let's shed some kilos and go for Double Rio Gold! :cool:

I have a problem with him. He's more of a follower than an attacker. The exact opposite of Van der Poel.
As I've stated (too) many times, I much prefer a racer who races hard even if that means a few victories lost for doing work. So I also I prefer Mathieu's style of racing. Although, the history books could reflect better for Wout...only time will tell.

For what its worth, I don't refer to seasons past too often nor do I have a great memory so history isn't that relevant to my fandom! :)

TRENDING THREADS