• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread: Amstel/Fleche/Leige

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
hulkgogan said:
Andy was flying, you don't drop an on form Phillipe Gilbert unless you're going extremely well.

Idd, maybe if Gilbert had 15sec more at the foot of the Roche aux faucons; he might have gotten over it together with Schleck. But ofcourse he would have been wasted on the St Nicolas then.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
hulkgogan said:
As far as the tactics, I'm pretty sick of all the supposed big names like Cunego et al never taking responsibility and never hitting the wind in the finale of big races and expecting their domestiques to do everything until the last 1 km. When did this retardedness suddenly become the norm? Lemond and Kelly never rode like that. You rarely see "King" sprints of 4 or 5 big stars in the finale any more because the big stars no longer have the balls to ride with each other.

I think this might be because Cunego, Valverde and Rebellin are pretty good sprinters. So they play to their strengths, and try to reach the finish as fresh as possible. Even if this means that they will be part of a quite large group.

I agree that it's boring for the viewers.

benpounder said:
And Rodríguez should have been Caisse d'Epargne's protected rider.

That's easy for you to say after the race is over.;)

Gilbert should be commended for animating the race and still having something left to still make it on the podium. Of course not a win but a strong race nonetheless. So where did Cadel finish?:D

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
jonjungel said:
I think this might be because Cunego, Valverde and Rebellin are pretty good sprinters. So they play to their strengths, and try to reach the finish as fresh as possible. Even if this means that they will be part of a quite large group.

Gilbert won the sprint in the AGR, but he did attack in LBL.

We need more riders like that

jonjungel said:

Well, that's their excuse, but again Kelly and Lemond were pretty good sprinters. I think the new generation has gotten way too use to being sheltered. And that tactic just doesn't win races.