• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread TdF Stage 18 Annency-Annency 40.5 km ITT

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Nastyy said:
Moreau is 38 and finished 8th today. And Poulidor was 40 when he finished 3rd in the last ITT in 1976.

Thats because the're are only 2 real champions in the race! Lance and Contador ( Sastre and Menchow are weak )! The media wanted a battle of the greats! Don't think there is a strife betwen the riders, maybe a bit tension out of respect! Astana used this to perfection! All the riders were expecting an attack from Lance or Conti, they didn't, they used the hype to slow down the peloton! The later the attacks, the later the domestics tire out, the biggier the chances to keep super domestics in the top the, the more happy the sponsors are and the more coverege

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
MKirilenko said:
Tired at least? Did you see his mouth when he was finishing? He was exhausted, he went all out.

As you prolly saw with my post I used a big smiley after to show that it was meant in a nice way.

All respect to Contador and the show today and yes he really went all out to take the win today and that is also worth a lil respect as he didnt have to waste any energy knowin that he would have over 4 minutes down to 2nd place...

Take care.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
iceaxe said:
People seem to forget the massive genocide the spanish committed in South America.

In clear contrast to the Club Med the brits and their american descendents politely set up for the natives in North America. The summer camps the germans promoted for 11 million people in Europe. The economic recovery programs the French spread all over Africa etc etc...

Put down the pipe son... put down the pipe...

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
fulcrum said:
In clear contrast to the Club Med the brits and their american descendents politely set up for the natives in North America. The summer camps the germans promoted for 11 million people in Europe. The economic recovery programs the French spread all over Africa etc etc...

Put down the pipe son... put down the pipe...

since when did this thread turn into a genocide history thread:p?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
He had a headwind, whereas Cancellara had a tailwind. All the top riders, except AC, lost time to C in the final.

I think this says it all. LA should have decided to comeback sooner, or on another team, or else, if JB was a must, then as a servant of AC.

AC is going to become 10 tmes the cyclist Lance ever was. He's a genius on the bike, not tactically, but in pure physical terms and in regards to his smooth, supple, aesthetic peddle stroke. Just pure class. And I'm not even a particular fan of his, but I have never, in 28 years following this sport, seen the likes of him. Not Hinault, nor Lemond, or Indurain, Pantani and Armstrong. The guy has everything, even age on his side. A true phenom That's the truth.

The only thing he lacks are the classics, but the sport is different from the Eddie-Hinault era. Unfortunately. The Worlds will come though.

First time Tour watcher here and even I'm shocked by what he's doing. He's blown everything I've read on body physique and weight I've read. HAs got the weight of Climber and the only way he can beat Cancellara in TT is if He's got the best Power to weight ration in the tour. A bit like Victoria Pendleton on the track

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
All I have to say is WOW! Contador beating Cancellara in a TT. I think that is one of the biggest stories about today.Perhaps that 5k climb helped them out greatly. Armstrong and kloden will have to work to get Second and third on Ventoux. That's the only way they will pull off the podium sweep. They will actually need to attack the schlecks and wiggins to be able to pull it off. Contador all he needs to do is ride with the group No attack needed.

The other big story is Andy Schleck not losing as much time as his history in the tt would forecast that he would. That was a major ride for someone that can't TT well. Andy and Frank remind me of Rasmussen a bit. Which leads me to question how clean are they.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
just read an interview that LA gave to Spanish press:

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/Alberto/bueno/elpepidep/20090723elpepidep_3/Tes

When asked about his cold relationship with AC he replies:

"Si me pusiera en su lugar, en 1999 o 2000, cuando era joven y ambicioso, e Indurain hubiera venido a mi equipo, él seguiría siendo el líder del equipo, ¡es Indurain! No significa que vaya a ganar, pero es el líder porque es una leyenda.'

."..If I would put myself in his place, in 99-00, young and ambitious, and Indurain would have returned, he would have been the team leader!! Not because he could win, but because he is a legend..."

hilarious...earth lo Lance...this guy is high on crack...:D

Can't believe I bought the livestrong crap a few year ago :(

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
indurain666 said:
j
."..If I would put myself in his place, in 99-00, young and ambitious, and Indurain would have returned, he would have been the team leader!! Not because he could win, but because he is a legend..."
:(

OMG. The guy has completely lost it. I'm looking forward to Lance putting in another year of work to get beaten again next year. Contador... what a legend.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
indurain666 said:
just read an interview that LA gave to Spanish press:

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/Alberto/bueno/elpepidep/20090723elpepidep_3/Tes

When asked about his cold relationship with AC he replies:

"Si me pusiera en su lugar, en 1999 o 2000, cuando era joven y ambicioso, e Indurain hubiera venido a mi equipo, él seguiría siendo el líder del equipo, ¡es Indurain! No significa que vaya a ganar, pero es el líder porque es una leyenda.'

hilarious...earth lo Lance...this guy is high on crack...:D

Can't believe I bought the livestrong crap a few year ago :(

Its official now..Lance Armstrong has blown...look out!!!

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
skippy254 said:
It all reminds me of De luca, Landis, Vino, etc.,....I just can't shake the feeling that Contador is a doper of the first order.

I'm with you. You we need more young riders like Lance Armstrong who are part of the new clean generation of cycling.

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
LargusMeans said:
I've been on LA's jock strap for all of his 7 tour wins, watched every tour for the last 11 years and was excited about this one after AC's win in the Vuelta, knowing that Astana would be in this edition. When Armstrong announced his comeback I was like right on, LA in the Giro, AC in the Tour. But as time went forward and LA started changing his tune I knew that he was going to go for the tour win. When he did what he did in stage 3, I knew his intentions, get the yellow, claim team leadership and place AC into a support role. When Arcalis was done and LA made his quote "Not the plan, doesn't surprise me", he lost me. AC knew that if LA got the yellow at the end of that stage, his tour was over, period. Ever since then, LA has forged a passive aggressive media war against AC, trying to turn the tables on the true team leader. After Verbier, I was extremely happy to see LA completely and totally humbled, but even then you could tell he was not at all happy. AK towed his **** up that climb, it cost AK at least 30 secs if not more, nothing was said then about, wow if AK misses out on the podium by 2' we know where it happened. Now with Levi and LA making tweets about yesterday and these comments today, I'm absolutely disgusted with LA. Screw him, I hope FS crushes him up Ventoux and he absolutely shatters and finishes out of the top 5 in 6th. Astana should be embracing AC, he is the team leader, has so far crushed the field, not had his team help him on the final 3 climbs (yes, the protected him to the base of those climbs, but they also did that for LA and AK too) and yet LA's war of disinformation continues. Whats next, is LA going to come out and say "Damn, a performance like that isn't normal, how can he beat the World Champ, something must be going on." It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

SCREW YOU LA, you bitter ***!! I can't believe I cheered for you for so many years.

Wow. Are you in trouble when you find out there is no Santa Claus.....

iceaxe said:
there is something about contador I detest. I hope he tests postive. He does have that overly intense look of a druggy. Regardless, I will boycott next year because I dont want to see Contador win again. People seem to forget the massive genocide the spanish committed in South America.
and the genocide the brits did with the american indians? what's that have to do with AC, the tour and his winnings?

skippy254 said:
It all reminds me of De luca, Landis, Vino, etc.,....I just can't shake the feeling that Contador is a doper of the first order.

Iv'e never doubted Contador until today. Yes we've seen big stong TT experts convert themselves into almost top climbers (generally as it turns ot with some extra help:rolleyes:) but to see a pure super lightweight climber better the worlds best TT riders, especially Cancellara is just too much of an improvement in my opinion. Yes there was a climb on the course, but for Contador to produce so much power on the flat is just too incredible to be true

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:
I'm with you. You we need more young riders like Lance Armstrong who are part of the new clean generation of cycling.

Yea, just like Andy and AC, after today , AC isn't clean!
Andy probably too .

We have no clean riders :\

all the top guys are on something..

Belokki said:
We'll see... Remember Ullrich? He won The Tour at the age of 24, dominating in the hills and tha mountains, he was thought unbeatable, then Lance came along and busted all the predictions:p

Hope to see a rivalry between Andy and Conti like the one with Lance- Ullrich:cool meaybe Andy will have more luck than Jan:rolleyes:

Contador is better than Ullrich was and Lance too, the guy just does what he wants. Has more natural talent and class. Wins in the spring too. Lance is a gregario compared to this man. :p

Altimax said:
Iv'e never doubted Contador until today. Yes we've seen big stong TT experts convert themselves into almost top climbers (generally as it turns ot with some extra help:rolleyes:) but to see a pure super lightweight climber better the worlds best TT riders, especially Cancellara is just too much of an improvement in my opinion. Yes there was a climb on the course, but for Contador to produce so much power on the flat is just too incredible to be true
I am not saying that he is not into something. But at least from a year and half ago to now he has been improving his TT. So people don't need to be surprised that he won today.

Just watch other races than the Tour de France and you will see.;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
I am not saying that he is not into something. But at least from a year and half ago to now he has been improving his TT. So people don't need to be surprised that he won today.

Just watch other races than the Tour de France and you will see.;)

Exactly...AC has always been an above average time trialist.