• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread TdF Stage 18 Annency-Annency 40.5 km ITT

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
indurain666 said:
just read an interview that LA gave to Spanish press:

."..If I would put myself in his place, in 99-00, young and ambitious, and Indurain would have returned, he would have been the team leader!! Not because he could win, but because he is a legend..."

ROTFL. He expects everyone to bow down and kiss his ass because of some dodgy Tour wins with an even dodgier doctor? At least Contador had the guts to race other GTs. By the time he retires, he'll have four Vueltas, six Tours, and two or three Giros. He will be a true legend.

It is all Armstrong could do to hold off Andy Schleck in a time trial. He is truly delusional.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
ROTFL. He expects everyone to bow down and kiss his ass because of some dodgy Tour wins with an even dodgier doctor? At least Contador had the guts to race other GTs. By the time he retires, he'll have four Vueltas, six Tours, and two or three Giros. He will be a true legend.

It is all Armstrong could do to hold off Andy Schleck in a time trial. He is truly delusional.

Did you read Armstrong's comment about Contador's climbing seeming "almost impossible"? I cannot believe he has the nerve to use that kind of accusation. It is the single most hypocritical comment he has every made. It speaks of a faded former champion unable to accept that he has been left behind. It honestly makes me want to puke.

iceaxe

BANNED
Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Did you read Armstrong's comment about Contador's climbing seeming "almost impossible"? I cannot believe he has the nerve to use that kind of accusation. It is the single most hypocritical comment he has every made. It speaks of a faded former champion unable to accept that he has been left behind. It honestly makes me want to puke.

I suspect armstrong has figured out that contador is doping. he eats with him and stuff. he probably knows the signs. He never said that about Landis though even after he tested positive after winning tour.

A

Anonymous

iceaxe said:
I suspect armstrong has figured out that contador is doping. he eats with him and stuff. he probably knows the signs. He never said that about Landis though even after he tested positive after winning tour.

Or Hincapie, or Heras, or...well, lets just acknowledge the comment was selective and a bit hypocritical...

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
indurain666 said:

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/Alberto/bueno/elpepidep/20090723elpepidep_3/Tes

When asked about his cold relationship with AC he replies:

"Si me pusiera en su lugar, en 1999 o 2000, cuando era joven y ambicioso, e Indurain hubiera venido a mi equipo, él seguiría siendo el líder del equipo, ¡es Indurain! No significa que vaya a ganar, pero es el líder porque es una leyenda.'

."..If I would put myself in his place, in 99-00, young and ambitious, and Indurain would have returned, he would have been the team leader!! Not because he could win, but because he is a legend..."

hilarious...earth lo Lance...this guy is high on crack...:D

Can't believe I bought the livestrong crap a few year ago :(

there is a huge difference tho...lance back in 99 (pre TDF) hadnt won any of the big tours. contador had won 3 before this years TDF.

and you can forget that lance would accept being number 2 in any team at the 2000 TDF after winning it the previous year. he has totally lost it.

indurain666 said:

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/Alberto/bueno/elpepidep/20090723elpepidep_3/Tes

When asked about his cold relationship with AC he replies:

"Si me pusiera en su lugar, en 1999 o 2000, cuando era joven y ambicioso, e Indurain hubiera venido a mi equipo, él seguiría siendo el líder del equipo, ¡es Indurain! No significa que vaya a ganar, pero es el líder porque es una leyenda.'

hilarious...earth lo Lance...this guy is high on crack...:D

Can't believe I bought the livestrong crap a few year ago :(

No wonder why he's hated so much among the cycling community..
True Legends Like Anquetil,Coppi, Merxx, Hinault, Indurain, took defeat as that inevitable part of life and walked away with pride -not the entire bitterness of this *** who still believes he has it to win next year, and along the road, get personal with loads of sh!t thrown in that interview..... just nasty

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
True Legends Like Anquetil,Coppi, Merxx, Hinault, Indurain, took defeat as that inevitable part of life and walked away with pride -not the entire bitterness of this *** who still believes he has it to win next year, and along the road, get personal with loads of sh!t thrown in that interview..... just nasty

Hinault "walked away with pride"???

Now THAT is funny.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:

Lance differs from those guys! They all walked away beaten, Lance did not get dethroned, he retired with a record 7th win!

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Futuroscope said:
there is a huge difference tho...lance back in 99 (pre TDF) hadnt won any of the big tours. contador had won 3 before this years TDF.

and you can forget that lance would accept being number 2 in any team at the 2000 TDF after winning it the previous year. he has totally lost it.

..jesus...you fanboys are amazing:rolleyes:

in case you don't know, your man Lance, finished 4th at the Vuelta 98 (bet you didn't know that) he set up to be a major contender that year, and he was the leader of USPS...no way he would have given up now...

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
indurain666 said:
..jesus...you fanboys are amazing:rolleyes:

in case you don't know, your man Lance, finished 4th at the Vuelta 98 (bet you didn't know that) he set up to be a major contender that year, and he was the leader of USPS...no way he would have given up now...

you misunderstood my post.

read it again.

im calling lance a hypocrite.

May 10, 2009
Visit site
Belokki said:
Lance differs from those guys! They all walked away beaten, Lance did not get dethroned, he retired with a record 7th win!

He was dethroned by Contador. If he was not greedy, than he would have been invict.

Just came back to comment about how depressing I find the current mood around cycling fans - myself included.

Contador is putting up a legendary performance this year. He is proving himself unbeatable in every phase of the race. You can't make time up in the time trial and you can't beat him in the mountains. He is untouchable.

Today's performance is cherry on the sunday of a world class *** whipping and instead of being in awe of his performance, the conversation ends up being about doping - considering the last few decades perhaps rightfully so.

I don't mean to come down on anyone, I just find it a little bit depressing...

May 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't know that I see Contador beating Canc as that unusual. There was a medium sized climb in the TT, it is at the end of a three-week tour and AC has the yellow. Look at Sastre last year and how unusually well he did in the last TT.
And AC has certainly been working on his TT. I think he was trying to prove that point by winning the Spanish TT champs this year.

In a more flat or windy TT not at the end of a 3 week tour Canc still wins. But this was a different situation.

On a different note, I'm certainly interested to see what the Astana team dynamics look like on Sat on Ventoux. Should be fun to watch.

Azdak6 said:
Hinault "walked away with pride"???

Now THAT is funny.

FYI Hinault was defeated twice-by Fignon in 84 & Lemond in 86..
His reaction? mad as hell-indeed-but always clear to state it was fair and square at the end- "they beat me because they were better than I"
that's honesty-nothing less-nothing more- and YES: pride-hurting pride
far honest from the bull**** that LA is putting now- isn't it?

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
FYI Hinault was defeated twice-by Fignon in 84 & Lemond in 86..
His reaction? mad as hell-indeed-but always clear to state it was fair and square at the end- "they beat me because they were better than I"
that's honesty-nothing less-nothing more- and YES: pride-hurting pride
far honest from the bull**** that LA is putting now- isn't it?

I can hear the violins and see the heroic profile, but I think some trumpets and a wind-whipped drapeau tricolore in the background would be even better.

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Kim Kirchens TT bike?

Columbia Highroad changed bike manufacturers recently from Giant to Scott . I am intrigued to find out why in the Annecy TT Kim Kirchen was riding the old team giant with just the Highroad markings and not the new scott TT machine like the rest of the team. Can anyone shed some light on the subject for me ?:confused:

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
clydesdale said:
Just came back to comment about how depressing I find the current mood around cycling fans - myself included.

Contador is putting up a legendary performance this year. He is proving himself unbeatable in every phase of the race. You can't make time up in the time trial and you can't beat him in the mountains. He is untouchable.

Today's performance is cherry on the sunday of a world class *** whipping and instead of being in awe of his performance, the conversation ends up being about doping - considering the last few decades perhaps rightfully so.

I don't mean to come down on anyone, I just find it a little bit depressing...

+100. But it understandable given Ricco, Shumacher, etc. Damn, I hope AC is clean.

Thoughtforfood said:

Do you have a link to an interview where he said that?

Contador needs to seek him out today, and make the zip the lips gesture at him.

Perhaps if LA attacks to get some more time on Wiggo, AC could chase him down.

Belokki said:

Another gem from the Belokki man.
Funny, I could have sworn that was him, getting an ass whupping, yesterday.
Oh well, there might be another USPS riders with a twin, I suppose.
I'll check with Tyler......

Altimax said:
Iv'e never doubted Contador until today. Yes we've seen big stong TT experts convert themselves into almost top climbers (generally as it turns ot with some extra help:rolleyes:) but to see a pure super lightweight climber better the worlds best TT riders, especially Cancellara is just too much of an improvement in my opinion. Yes there was a climb on the course, but for Contador to produce so much power on the flat is just too incredible to be true

Agreed on this quote, but would like to know when was the last time a rider was not only the best climber in the world but also the best time trialer ?

TRENDING THREADS