• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

O'Grady non-confession-confession confession

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Stingray34 said:
Stuey mate has absorbed the Lance playbook well; only problem is, it hasn't worked out too well for it's author.

I don't know much about Stuey mate's abuse of EPO, Test and HgH, but it's a wonder he wasn't popped a la Ulrich for party drugs alone. Stuey mate could rave members of 'The Shamen' under the table.

Love, sex, intelligence/comin' over like a seventh sense.

Him and Matt White broke records for the amount partying done in a season. And agreed how those two didn't test positive for amphetamines is anyone's guess.

Stuey Mate also has appeared to master a new training sequence of waking up, eating then going back to sleep before going out training :cool:

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
Him and Matt White broke records for the amount partying done in a season. And agreed how those two didn't test positive for amphetamines is anyone's guess.

Stuey Mate also has appeared to master a new training sequence of waking up, eating then going back to sleep before going out training :cool:

I mastered that regime around 1992. It just occurred to me why I never made it beyond the NSW road race. I was all about recovery - at least I was fresh!

I wonder how many cities across Europe Stuey Mate knows who to score from? If you're in the South of France, your eyeballs will be rollin'.

As for Mat White, yes, I raced with him. Decent rider, no doubt - but you couldn't make him dirtier if you took a dump in his mouth.

Stingray34 said:
I mastered that regime around 1992. It just occurred to me why I never made it beyond the NSW road race. I was all about recovery - at least I was fresh!

I wonder how many cities across Europe Stuey Mate knows who to score from? If you're in the South of France, your eyeballs will be rollin'.

As for Mat White, yes, I raced with him. Decent rider, no doubt - but you couldn't make him dirtier if you took a dump in his mouth.

There was the story about the Cofidis team bus with O'Grady, White and a bucket load of pseudoephedrine. Generally used a mixer the story goes they nailed it straight due to lacking anything else to take it with and right before a race :cool:

Good times.

Edit: It was O'Grady & Millar. Washed it down with alcohol just prior to a race.

http://elpais.com/diario/2006/11/08/deportes/1162940408_850215.html

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
There was the story about the Cofidis team bus with O'Grady, White and a bucket load of pseudoephedrine. Generally used a mixer the story goes they nailed it straight due to lacking anything else to take it with and right before a race :cool:

Good times.

Edit: It was O'Grady & Millar. Washed it down with alcohol just prior to a race.

http://elpais.com/diario/2006/11/08/deportes/1162940408_850215.html

I remember that. Francois Migraine - the owner and benefactor of Cofidis - was so worried about his riders dying, he commissioned a study on their psychologies. It concluded that the likes of O'Grady, Millar, Gaumont, Voeckler et al -the leaders of the team in 2004 - all had personality disorders that corrupted the younger team members and inculcated a destructive team culture. Pot Belge, anyone?

Stingray34 said:
I remember that. Francois Migraine - the owner and benefactor of Cofidis - was so worried about his riders dying, he commissioned a study on their psychologies. It concluded that the likes of O'Grady, Millar, Gaumont, Voeckler et al -the leaders of the team in 2004 - all had personality disorders that corrupted the younger team members and inculcated a destructive team culture. Pot Belge, anyone?

Love it. Like the Metellica tour!

Cycling was way more fun in the 90's and early 2000's. A nightclub on wheels. How Jalbert is not dead is a modern medical mystery.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
Love it. Like the Metellica tour!

Cycling was way more fun in the 90's and early 2000's. A nightclub on wheels. How Jalbert is not dead is a modern medical mystery.

You got that right - if Jalabert wasn't naturally a world-class cyclist, he certainly had world-class kidneys and liver which carried him through.

I've spent some time on holiday in Europe catching up with (much more talented) friends racing in Belgium and France long after I stopped racing. The Aussie pros were party animals. Baden Cooke shoud've won a lot more races, to say the least. I'm rather ashamed to say I've shared spit on a spliff or two with more than a few of these guys, not that they ever seemed to give a damn.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
what is a little sad about the whole doping "scandal(s)", p'raps the most versatile and best racer Allan Davis lost his career. I think with Gerro he was the best of the lot in the mid-late 2000s and the few years in the 2010 decade. He lost his career. Cookie is still the boss, and the others like Mcewen and Mcgee and Evans and Goss got the successes they duly deserved, but Davis was the unlucky one, I thought his palmares could have looked more like Ete Zabel. As it is, it looks like Jay Sweet.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Stingray34 said:
You got that right - if Jalabert wasn't naturally a world-class cyclist, he certainly had world-class kidneys and liver which carried him through.

I've spent some time on holiday in Europe catching up with (much more talented) friends racing in Belgium and France long after I stopped racing. The Aussie pros were party animals. Baden Cooke shoud've won a lot more races, to say the least. I'm rather ashamed to say I've shared spit on a spliff or two with more than a few of these guys, not that they ever seemed to give a damn.
Cookie's palmares in the northern races should look better than Allessandro Ballan to say the least. He is still the boss tho.

Stingray34 said:

Awesome story. Then there was always the cafe stop that turned into a drinking sessions in cycling kit :cool:

Cooke will be an awesome riders agent simply by the amount of connections he has from his party days! :cool:

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
ralphbert said:
St David? No no no, you must have that wrong

Oh no, sir: you must be wr-ong! (Silence of the Lambs reference.) That horse has bolted. Hog's right - the best bits didn't make the book. I'm not really surprised. I doub't St David remembers a whole lot from that period.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Stingray34 said:
that was the party of the decade Jalabert hosted in Cannes with coke and potbelge
Cahors affaire ftw
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun20news2
Jalabert drug party blamed for addiction

During the first day of hearings in the "Cahors" trial, Laurent Roux's younger brother Fabien testified that it was former professional and current French TV consultant Laurent Jalabert who first introduced him to "pot belge". "I was initiated to using pot belge during a party with Laurent Jalabert in 2001," the 24 year-old said. "Together with other professionals, I've seen him injecting himself in the garage of his house that evening. It was a party organised by his fan club. It's frequent in the cycling world. These parties take place during the off-season. I came with my brother, who was a professional. The whole team of the cyclist who was hosting participated in these parties - from mechanic to soigneur."

Roux said he thus consumed the drug mix for the first time in the presence of Jalabert. "It was offered by the rider who hosted the party," he added. Later during the trial, a former teammate of Laurent Jalabert at CSC-Tiscali, who was heard as a witness, confirmed Roux's accusations.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
Awesome story. Then there was always the cafe stop that turned into a drinking sessions in cycling kit :cool:

Cooke will be an awesome riders agent simply by the amount of connections he has from his party days! :cool:

Oh yeah - if you know everyone's peccadilloes, it's a major bargaining advantage.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

how he got Horner the gig on Lampre, he is a genius.

does he share anything more than the surname of the UCI prezprez with Cookson

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
blackcat said:
what is a little sad about the whole doping "scandal(s)", p'raps the most versatile and best racer Allan Davis lost his career. I think with Gerro he was the best of the lot in the mid-late 2000s and the few years in the 2010 decade. He lost his career. Cookie is still the boss, and the others like Mcewen and Mcgee and Evans and Goss got the successes they duly deserved, but Davis was the unlucky one, I thought his palmares could have looked more like Ete Zabel. As it is, it looks like Jay Sweet.

You could well be right about this - I never knew Davis or his brother personally, except that they were excellent cyclists. What I've heard about him is pretty good. I hear he doesn't ride anymore, is this true?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Stingray34 said:
Oh yeah - if you know everyone's peccadilloes, it's a major bargaining advantage.
talking about peccadilloes, this looks like a quite homoerotic swinging session with Quickstep Davitamon.

Quickstep do Harlem Shake before they usher in the podium girls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVxeBiD8ZE0

Tom as Alpha at the top of the tree. It feels like a harem BC in mesopotamia. They just need some greeks, some grapes, and some grappa and wine

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Stingray34 said:
You could well be right about this - I never knew Davis or his brother personally, except that they were excellent cyclists. What I've heard about him is pretty good. I hear he doesn't ride anymore, is this true?
think he is going down the Bike Tour chaperone route.

he could not get a contract at the start of 2014, so he retired after riding the aus Nationals as a club entrant. I think he may have got a gig at TDU last year riding for the composite team UNI-SA

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Meanwhile, poor old Phillipe Gaumant. Does anyone remember Jalabert, O'Grady or Millar eulogising the fellah? Or was it just 'one of those things'? I'm sure Stuey Mate could dedicate an AC/DC song to him....like 'Heartbreaker.'

Stingray34 said:
Meanwhile, poor old Phillipe Gaumant. Does anyone remember Jalabert, O'Grady or Millar eulogising the fellah? Or was it just 'one of those things'? I'm sure Stuey Mate could dedicate an AC/DC song to him....like 'Heartbreaker.'

That chapter was left on the cutting room floor of O'Grady's book. No doubt O'Grady taught young Shleck a thing or two about the Grand Tour recovery regime.

Wiggo is the only cyclist left who comes close to the drug and drinking intake of he Aussies. Last time I saw Wiggo on TV he was clearly off his chops.

Wiggo is the only guy to wear the world championship rings whilst toking on a spliff. Legend.

15hhg5d.jpg

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
Ben Cousins would be the perfect cycling agent. Guy got into the wrong sport.

That's funny, what's the toxic cousin doing these days?

Blackcat makes a good point about Cooke, except his gold has tarnished: the best he could rangle this year was Safeway? The best Lampre rider at the Tour? Man, I hope pappy gets popped - OK not likely now. Maybe that's the point.

TRENDING THREADS