• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Old Live Report pages instead of today's?

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Am I the only one getting Live Report pages from previous stages instead of today's? They seem to be over-written as the stage progresses (they should really all be blown away before the new stage begins), but, very frequently, I click "Next Page" and the page number increases, but the all the "live" data is from yesterday -- even the page header will say "Stage 5" instead of "Stage 6." Most times, it seems to catch up on a later page, but today, the whole stage 6 live feed from page 11 on is actually the live feed from stage 5. :(

I've tried erasing my cache and switching browsers with no luck. Surely, I can't be the only one to have noticed. I actually had to jump to a competitive website to catch live feed for the final, what, 60km of the race! :mad:

A

Anonymous

Force-refresh has dealt with this for me, as it seems to be a browser-side problem rather than a server-side one. I was able to see stage 5's live page 8 while a colleague was seeing stage 5's, so the server was definitely delivering the right page. Wrong pages can also get stuck your ISP's proxy cache too.

However, we are looking at a better fix which we hope to have in place next week.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Seriously?!

John Stevenson said:
Force-refresh has dealt with this for me, as it seems to be a browser-side problem rather than a server-side one. I was able to see stage 5's live page 8 while a colleague was seeing stage 5's, so the server was definitely delivering the right page. Wrong pages can also get stuck your ISP's proxy cache too.

However, we are looking at a better fix which we hope to have in place next week.

Well, then maybe I'll check back again next week. I was almost ready to congratulate you on putting a quick fix in place...you made it all the way to page 22 of 26 today. Then I clicked "Next" and I was reading Stage 5. So, I went back and tried to jump ahead...only to read stage details from Stage 4. Force refresh does nothing. Emptying my cache does nothing. That changing browsers doesn't help may mean that it's the proxy server cache. I have to grant you that possibility, but a three-day old page? Proxy cache should have long since emptied that out. And, mind you, nothing of this nature has ever happened with another website...ever.

However, there's another theory: I still can't read the details, but I'm assuming page 23 is about when Evans attacked the peloton. This leads me to believe that it's a server loading issue on your end, as that's just about the point when everyone reading your live coverage would be force refreshing their own pages in an effort to get the latest updates as fast as they can. Hell, I do it, too, so I can hardly blame them. I don't want to be that person, as I know you're just trying to get the site up to date, and there are some things that I really like about the new version, but it worked fine on the old version of your site. Along with your great reporters, your live coverage was superior becuase you could do that and get the latest updates more quickly.

Maybe I'll check back next week...we'll see. Maybe you need to consider a whole new live coverage scheme instead of relying on your users force refreshing...

TRENDING THREADS