• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympic Dream Team Rejects Consideration.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
Safe to say we now know who 6 out of the ten former Armstrong teammates have given testimony, ay?

Yep. It's also safe to say those four guys are not answering phone calls from Patton Boggs or Austin right now.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
They don't want to be in London when more s**t hits the fan. Just like Andy Schleck doesn't wan't to be on Alpe D'Huez when the next bombshell revelation hits the media. They want to avoid the media mess that is about to swarm them. It's only a matter of time before the USADA (ahem, Birotte) evidence starts getting leaked.

lean said:
i may be picking nits but those four hardly make up a dream team. one of them would be an outsider to even medal in the ITT and they'd be extreme long shots to win an olympic road race.

I disagree. Zabriskie is in fantastic TT form, doing very well at ATOC and retaining his US TT Championship. Mini Phinney himself has already voiced a level of doubt with regard to his chances.

As for Jawge, the Olympic RR this year is a sprinter's course, which means a good leadout train. Aside from being a fantastic one day man, Jawge is one helluva leadout man: more so than Horner and Duggan for sure.

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The reasons have been spelled out in the Velonews article below. USA selection criteria:

I. A. 3.3. All athletes must be in good standing with USAC, UCI, and the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) at the time of nomination.

It was a preemptive decision - if you know who is in charge of USA cycling and Armstrong's desire to know the names of the witnesses, its not hard to imagine there was going to be payback against those riders.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012...mpact-u-s-olympic-road-team-selections_224183

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Somehow that list of riders still falls extremely short of a "Dream Team". The USA could never fill that phrase in Cycling, whereas Italy, Belgium, Spain, heck even France but USA?

Well I guess if 2nd place, or DNF is what you think of in Dream Team, them maybe they'd be your Dream Team. :D

(Mods change the title, there's no way it can ever happen. I'd recommend "Olympic Nightmare Team " as a good replacement)

MacRoadie said:
I disagree. Zabriskie is in fantastic TT form, doing very well at ATOC and retaining his US TT Championship. Mini Phinney himself has already voiced a level of doubt with regard to his chances.

As for Jawge, the Olympic RR this year is a sprinter's course, which means a good leadout train. Aside from being a fantastic one day man, Jawge is one helluva leadout man: more so than Horner and Duggan for sure.

i didn't say they were talentless hacks but there's a big difference between contributing/contending and forming a "dream team" of overwhelming favorites.

TRENDING THREADS