• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Oscar Sevilla - What could have been?

He's still riding and going strong in the Vuelta Colombia. He's had great results in USA and Mexico the last couple of years. But it seems there is a ghost he can not shake and its his involvment in Operacion Puerto.

There is no doubt in my mind that he's still good enough for the pro tour. He has never been convicted of any doping offence, yet he still serves a "suspension" from the european races.

Maybe he wants to continue doping and is content to ride smaller races. But in my opinion he has chosen the hard way and not admit to doping and be back in the bigger races after two years like Basso. What do you guys think?

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Sevilla was def crushing it w/ Rock last season, right...he almost won the Spanish nationals but lost in a sprint. At least he lost it to a clean rider, someone named Valverde :p

Looks like he's out of juniors and moved up to U23's.

Copy%20of%20IMG_6371.JPG

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The UCI is really hard in this matter... You don't confess or take a ban for doping? Well We blacklist you and you will never put your bike again in the ProTour Peloton...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
After an excellent Tour debut Sevilla seemed to be headed to some kind of stardom, but never got the European results, especially after being screwed in the Vuelta by his team mate (tr)Aitor. After that he just kind of languished as a mid-level pro. But then suddenly, at T-Mob, he started to get results! But then Puero broke and it was abundantly clear what caused his rise out of mediocrity. Probably the general assumption is that without drugs he's just average, and since so much bad publicity comes with him, why bother?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
The UCI is really hard in this matter... You don't confess or take a ban for doping? Well We blacklist you and you will never put your bike again in the ProTour Peloton...

Well what about Vino then? He never confessed! However he is winning LBL and Tour stages again....UCI needs some serious reorganizing.

Also, they didn't need Vino to confess. They had a positive test to ban him.

But still, Sevilla rode for Relax in 2007, which means he did most of the Spanish calendar. He wasn't in the Vuelta, but he did the Volta a Catalunya and the Tour of the Basque Country.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
guys like sevilla and mancebo, only 33 they are aren't blacklisted. just no teams are interested in them anymore. same for guys like botero, who has actually been acquitted of everything involving puerto much like allan davis and contador.

in case of sevilla he gets paid 200.000 euros by orgullo paisa excluding prize money and he is allowed to ride races for secunday teams. he says he has the most fun he ever had in cycling now in colombia. and for the past 3 years he's working on one goal to win the vuelta a colombia and to be the first european in over 50 years to win it. he could still be a top 5 gt rider in europe in my book but he has already been 2nd in vuelta and won white jersey and other important races. there's not much to proove for him in europe I think. and he only wants back on very good terms with good money and a posible free role. Teams like Footon don't have the money and other Spanish teams are almost bankrupt. and the normally well paying portugese circuit is also on it's last legs.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
in case of sevilla he gets paid 200.000 euros by orgullo paisa excluding prize money. he says he has the most fun he ever had in cycling now in colombia.

I would think only DOWNSIDE is that he could get kidnapped at any moment on a training ride. Especially now that you've revealed he makes 200K Euro per year in a lawless narco-state :)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
well colombia has gotten a lot safer in the past 10 years ;)

besides they don't like to kidnapp cyclists. they are too popular. in late 90s a criminal group kidnapped lucho herrera and offered him to the farc. but the farc didn't want to burn their hands on him. :)

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Goldberger asked: Oscar Sevilla - What could have been?

A multiple winner of the Tour the France ... just like Beloki would have become ! as al the fact come to light now-a-days.

Fabio-Duarte-Vic-vcolet5-600.jpg

Allround BabyFace in the VaC today.

He was (is?) a decent rider, but he wasn't a superstar. He had 2 great years at kelme (7th at the tour and 2nd and 4th at the vuelta), but didn't produce much in the gt's for years after that. I remember that quite clearly since i picked him for my fantasy team for the tour and vuelta a couple of years in a row and he basically was a waste of points :(

Didn't Heras mention a couple of times that he retired after his ban because he couldn't get any decent offers in europe anymore? It just seemed that for guys like Heras, sevilla, botero, mancebo, etc their stock dropped big and teams in europe were simply not willing to pay them a decent salary anymore.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
galeria29172-002.jpg

Undisputed are the words used of late ... Spanish media "Sevilla reina en la Vuelta a Colombia" that's crazy stuff man ...

Dont't forget as one of the blue color cyclists Nino had a uphill battle earlier in his career against all those criminals now exposed ... same accounts for Paco and Beloki.

TRENDING THREADS