• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Over a million gallons of crude oil a week...

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
WTF are you babbling about?

Ask Carville and Colin Powell what I"m babbling about.
Looks like the deer in headlights syndrome has carried over from the Bush administration.
Just because one was elected president doesn't necessarily mean one is a TRUE leader.
Moronitis has no political affiliation.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
broken chain said:
Ask Carville and Colin Powell what I"m babbling about.
Looks like the deer in headlights syndrome has carried over from the Bush administration.
Just because one was elected president doesn't necessarily mean one is a TRUE leader.
Moronitis has no political affiliation.

Even generally, wtf would you suggest Obama do?

The obvious mistake is allowing these guys to drill in water this deep.

Unfortunately 30 years of idiotic Reagan worship has led to massive deregulation and corruption.

Would you like the secret energy meetings of the Bush administration?

buckwheat said:

Unfortunately 30 years of idiotic Reagan worship has led to massive deregulation and corruption.

Would you like the secret energy meetings of the Bush administration.

Indeed, if anything, Obama shouldn't have allowed such deep-water drilling, though hadn't the authority to prevent such deep-water drilling because the oil industry has more power than the president.

When will we stop fooling ourselves, buckwheat, into believing that democracy is an effective control against the economic interests and considerations of industry which really determine our fate and hence that of our planet?

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Indeed, if anything, Obama shouldn't have allowed such deep-water drilling, though hadn't the authority to prevent such deep-water drilling because the oil industry has more power than the president.

When will we stop fooling ourselves, buckwheat, into believing that democracy is an effective control against the economic interests and considerations of industry which really determine our fate and hence that of our planet?

What are the alternatives?

BTW, I pray every day.:) Faith?

I'm serious about the above sentence.

You can tell Marcellus Wallace that. I don't care if he laughs his a$$ off.

I think Buckwheat pretty much nailed it. What's worse than the spill itself is how we got here. A huge aspect of the entire industry is built on collusion between the oil industry and government. And this crosses to both parties, not just the pro-corporation neocons but the so called "progressives" as well, including the Obama administration, almost by his own admission.

Sadly though, the simple solution to many is that this is the fault of the government. The argument espoused by the Tea Party, or hardcore conservatives. They almost constantly preach about less government intrusion, less regulation, getting the government out of the way, cutting the government, etc.

Well, this is what you get when there is not only collusion, but no oversight. When the government facilitates the problem not by regulation, but by getting completely out of the way and letting businesses do what they want with little little oversight. Do that, and this is the result (along with the recent Upper Big Branch mine disaster, etc).

BP says they plan on paying for the fix at no cost to tax payers. But what about all of the people who are losing so much from this? People whose lives depend on fishing, tourism, and everything else. Are they going to pay for that too?

A

Anonymous

sublimit said:
The Iraqi Oil spill/Sabotage in the Persion Gulf is still the worst spill after the US and UK invaded by a long way.

Its sort of linked in an ironic way. Now a moneygrabbing British company has ****ed up big style so theres gratitude for you, so maybe they BP or the US should get Iraqi experts in to plug this thing and call it quits.

Wrong country for the oil spill it was in Kuwait.

The Iraqi experts were "Boots and Coots" from the US.

I am suprised the experts on this oil spill did not correct your errors in this post.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
buckwheat said:

Would you like the secret energy meetings of the Bush administration?

c_06022010.gif

A

Anonymous

Bala Verde said:

That Cartoon does not really work. I am not sure anyone has blamed him for this.
Just his lack of leadership or attention to the problem, which shows he is not so smart.

A

Anonymous

quarterdeck said:
That Cartoon does not really work. I am not sure anyone has blamed him for this.
Just his lack of leadership or attention to the problem, which shows he is not so smart.

Sir Paul McCartney disagrees.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I think Buckwheat pretty much nailed it. What's worse than the spill itself is how we got here. A huge aspect of the entire industry is built on collusion between the oil industry and government. And this crosses to both parties, not just the pro-corporation neocons but the so called "progressives" as well, including the Obama administration, almost by his own admission.

Sadly though, the simple solution to many is that this is the fault of the government. The argument espoused by the Tea Party, or hardcore conservatives. They almost constantly preach about less government intrusion, less regulation, getting the government out of the way, cutting the government, etc.

Well, this is what you get when there is not only collusion, but no oversight
. When the government facilitates the problem not by regulation, but by getting completely out of the way and letting businesses do what they want with little little oversight. Do that, and this is the result (along with the recent Upper Big Branch mine disaster, etc).

BP says they plan on paying for the fix at no cost to tax payers. But what about all of the people who are losing so much from this? People whose lives depend on fishing, tourism, and everything else. Are they going to pay for that too?

Good point. Neo-Liberalism is an ideology and a poor one at that. Dubbed a 'Maoism of the Right,' there is no evidence that corporations whose aim are profits can effectively self-regulate and take wider concerns into account.

A

Anonymous

Scott SoCal said:
Sir Paul McCartney disagrees.

That guy was getting a music award .......why he had to say something like that is beyond "not so smart"