• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

P3 size 56?

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
I am not in chance to test any of Cervelo bikes especially P3, so i am looking for P3 size 56.
I am 178cm, 83cm inseam, and i am wondering could size 56 shold be fine for me. I know that i can ride 54 also. I am riding road bike 56cm, and feeling ok.
There is some size chart for cervelo P3
48cm - 5' to 5'6"
51cm - 5"5 to 5'9
54cm - 5'8 to 5'11
56cm - 5'10 to 6'1
58cm - 6'0 to 6'4
61cm - 6'3 and up

I am not familiar with TT bikes. If anyone has some info i would appreciate that.
I know this is a personal thing but at lest some examples and thougts.

Thanks!

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
oldborn said:
I am not in chance to test any of Cervelo bikes especially P3, so i am looking for P3 size 56.
I am 178cm, 83cm inseam, and i am wondering could size 56 shold be fine for me. I know that i can ride 54 also. I am riding road bike 56cm, and feeling ok.
There is some size chart for cervelo P3
48cm - 5' to 5'6"
51cm - 5"5 to 5'9
54cm - 5'8 to 5'11
56cm - 5'10 to 6'1
58cm - 6'0 to 6'4
61cm - 6'3 and up

I am not familiar with TT bikes. If anyone has some info i would appreciate that.
I know this is a personal thing but at lest some examples and thougts.

Thanks!
With TT bike you need to look at a steeper seat tube and shorter top tube in general. so before you rush out and buy one get a good look at some that are set up. Its not just if you fit the frame you need to also fit it into UCI regulations that may be hard even with a correct fit road frame.

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
brianf7 said:
With TT bike you need to look at a steeper seat tube and shorter top tube in general. so before you rush out and buy one get a good look at some that are set up. Its not just if you fit the frame you need to also fit it into UCI regulations that may be hard even with a correct fit road frame.

I am not really concern about UCI cos i need it for triathlon.

Anyway thanks a lot brianf7;)

I would try to get some measures from buddy P3 and compare with my road bike set up.

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
I am 175cm tall with 80-81cm inseam. I have a Cervelo P3C, size 54cm, which I believe is the right size for me, possibly if they made a 53cm, that would be better. I use the front seatpost mount with an 80mm stem that's about negative 10 degrees and only a 5 mm spacer under the stem, with Sonic CSX aerobars, so low profile.

I ride a 52cm Kestrel Talon for my road bike, which is probably a hair on the small side for me.

I'd say you could probably go with either a 54 or 56 based on your height and inseam. But a lot depends on what type of position you like. On a 56, you are going to need to have a pretty aggressive position.

And as brianf7 noted, there's a lot more to a TT bike than just the measurements. The stack and reach on the Cervelos compared to other bikes need to be considered. I will say that my Cervelo is not particularly comfortable. But it is faster than anything else I have tried (and I have no problem running when I get off it on the rare occasions I do a multi-event).

There are some other bikes with similar geometry of course, but many TT and Tri bikes simply cannot be configured in the position you can get on a Cervelo P3 no matter what you do. For me, the loss of power caused by the the aggressive and somewhat less comfortable position seems to be more than offset by the increased aerodynamics, but that will not be true of everyone. I would never have bought one without the opportunity to try it out first.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I also have a 54cm P3C and am 2 CM taller and have a 1 cm shorter in seem. I have not have had an issue with fit on the bike. I normally also ride a 56cm road bike and was concerned with the smaller bike. However I think either would probably work for you. Try to find someone's to borrow. P3's are kind of like c0ckroaches in the triathlon community (you cannot go to an event without running into several). Someone should have one you can borrow for a quick ride :)

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks @ L29205, egtalbot.
Yes i check buddy P3C size 54 it s fits like a glove, 56 should be to large for me. P3 has a really large top tube, stack and reach are 0,5-1cm larger than on my road bike, but top tube despite seat tube angle would give me snake position:D on 56 for sure.

Anyway many thanks!

If anyone looking for used P3C here is one which i considered to buy on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CERVELO-P3C-56CM-FRAME-TIME-TRIAL-CARBON-BIKE-/320683259337?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4aaa3635c9 really nice, 2nd owner, guy also selling very nice Zipp wheels so i asume he is some serious rider or poser.