• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Nice

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
I'll gladly chip in for a citybox...
Just not the one in Amsterdam, please. ;)

Great rides by Boom en Voigt... I'm curious where they can take it from here.. The Sporza commentators were already discussing the possibilities on a windy stage...

They also mentioned Steegmans having broken his shoulder and upper arm (I believe they said in addition to his collar bone), as a first diagnosis in the hospital. No definite answer on that one. But it would probably mean most of Steegmans spring season went down the drain...

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Cosette said:
They also mentioned Steegmans having broken his shoulder and upper arm (I believe they said in addition to his collar bone), as a first diagnosis in the hospital. No definite answer on that one. But it would probably mean most of Steegmans spring season went down the drain...

They put in a call to Dirk De Mol earlier on, and he confirmed that Steegmans' entire spring season is over. We won't see him in any of the classics. Sounds like it was a very bad crash, De Mol kept saying "at least he was conscious the entire time".

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
zapata said:
Impressive by Boom. Guess it's time I learn to pronounce the name..is it anything like german Baum? Or more like english Boom?

[bo] for the linguistically inclined amongst you. Sort of like the vowel in so or though, but without the move into [w] at the end.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
he's been a dutch champion in the discipline. Personally I'm not overly surprised by the performance.

Agree. Such performance of his was expected. U23 World champion and won the ITT in the Tour of Belgium. Mostly short ITT's should suit him very well. I guess many road cycling fans will discover his talent now. Coz' if he probably won't win the overall, I don't see him plunge in the overall ranking.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
LOL at French interviewer suggesting that the prologue victory here is the biggest win of Boom's career. Froggy certainly has a high opinion of his own race.

I think I'd still call the = dutch champ (road, tt + cc) / vuelta stage / cc world champ a bigger victory then this.

djconnel said:
Biggest road win, clearly. More likely he has a high opinion of road cycling versus the track. So do many.

lol clearly... national championship and/or vuelta stage not better?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
tgsgirl said:
They put in a call to Dirk De Mol earlier on, and he confirmed that Steegmans' entire spring season is over. We won't see him in any of the classics. Sounds like it was a very bad crash, De Mol kept saying "at least he was conscious the entire time".
Sounds nasty.. Didn't know it was that bad.. Poor guy...

djconnel said:
Biggest road win, clearly. More likely he has a high opinion of road cycling versus the track. So do many.
Then how about the stage victory in last season's Vuelta?
And when did Boom compete in track? I know he did cyclocross, but track...

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I think I'd still call the = dutch champ (road, tt + cc) / vuelta stage / cc world champ a bigger victory then this.

Not the NC for me, but Tour of Belgium, Vuelta stage and Cyclocross Worlds, certainly.

By the way, I think I read somewhere that Boom did some track races, or maybe he planned it. :confused:

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Echoes said:
Not the NC for me, but Tour of Belgium, Vuelta stage and Cyclocross Worlds, certainly.

By the way, I think I read somewhere that Boom did some track races, or maybe he planned it. :confused:

National is interesting. Some people value it higher then others. Personally If I were a professional rider I would rate the national championship very highly, being able to show off your national jersey for a whole season, that's awesome, how proud would you feel.
Guess it's a matter of opinion though.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
That was a great start to the race. Contador tied with Leipheimer and ahead of the other Spanish riders makes things interesting. At the start it looked like Contador signaled to the car that his ear piece wasn't working. I wonder if he went without the whole time?

Thanks to Jens Voigt for the Virtual Director Sportif points.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
National is interesting. Some people value it higher then others. Personally If I were a professional rider I would rate the national championship very highly, being able to show off your national jersey for a whole season, that's awesome, how proud would you feel.
Guess it's a matter of opinion though.

I would value it highly if I were a rider!

But also I think it depends on which country you are the Champion of. I mean Fabian Cancellara won the Swiss TT Championship every year from 2002 to 2008! Whereas the Spanish and Italian Road races will be far higher caliber