• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris Roubaix 2011

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Where is the best place to watch the Paris-Roubaix? I am more interested in seeing the end of the race once the peloton has been split but not quite the end. Any suggestions?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
achaplain said:
Where is the best place to watch the Paris-Roubaix? I am more interested in seeing the end of the race once the peloton has been split but not quite the end. Any suggestions?

The Velodrome if they have a big screen up there seems like the best place to me.

Otherwise take a look at what cobbled sectors are in the race. Pick out the last hard one.

A

Anonymous

achaplain said:

Carrefour d'labre either just before or just after the 90 degree left hand turn. It's as rough as Arenberg and very late in the race.

Plus, it's one helluva party (except for last year).

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
PR

I was stationed in Germany for 2 years and not once did I go and watch a TDF stage or any of the classics...you won't believe how often I kick myself in the rear for that!!:(

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Carrefour d'labre either just before or just after the 90 degree left hand turn. It's as rough as Arenberg and very late in the race.

Plus, it's one helluva party (except for last year).

what town is the Carrefour d'labre in?

A

Anonymous

achaplain said:
what town is the Carrefour d'labre in?

Gruson

a0wjmq.jpg

This is about 200 meters past the left hand turn where Hushovd went down in 2009.

2vt5hqa.jpg

auscyclefan94 said:
My dream is just to get to races Like Paris Roubaix one day. I am not bothered where I would watch it!

definately bother about where you're going to watch it. If you're going to travel all that way, then make sure you make the most of it - don't go half-arsed and miss out...

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
definately bother about where you're going to watch it. If you're going to travel all that way, then make sure you make the most of it - don't go half-arsed and miss out...

I will go to someday to the Roubaix. My vantage point; the bar in the film' A Sunday in Hell. ' 15 minutes after the broom wagon passes and I finish my sixth pint, I will follow the race in my 1935 German Gyrocopter.
My pilot and I will land in a farmers field 30 minutes prior to the finish, walk to the Roubaix stadium and settle in there, to cheer on my hero Tomke as he outsprints Pozato, Husofd, Cancellera and Wiggo. Phinney takes the bunch sprint for 5th!

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
I will go to someday to the Roubaix. My vantage point; the bar in the film' A Sunday in Hell. ' 15 minutes after the broom wagon passes and I finish my sixth pint, I will follow the race in my 1935 German Gyrocopter.
My pilot and I will land in a farmers field 30 minutes prior to the finish, walk to the Roubaix stadium and settle in there, to cheer on my hero Tomke as he outsprints Pozato, Husofd, Cancellera and Wiggo. Phinney takes the bunch sprint for 5th!

6th...........

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Actually, an autogiro like this would be sporty for watching the 'Roubaix.'
I would be in the front "Observation seat' with my jack russel terrier 'Max', filming the 'Roubaix' from the air.
My trusty friend Tin-Tin and his dog 'Snowy' would be piloting.
At 6 key areas of the race we would land and take ground footage.
Of course all the moto drivers would be wearing heavy leather, wearing aviators glasses and drive 1950s BMW and motoguzzi motorcycles. Some are spitting images of Rommel. The film crews would be filming with big 35mm camaras for quality B+W footage.
Of course it would be raining and the road absolutely snot, making for many crashes. Following cars would be old Fiats and 60s Citreons.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Great photo Archibald.

I'm guessing Carrefour de l'arbre is a popular enough spot that they erect toilet facilities... is this right? And is there access to food/drink vendors or is it best to bring your own?

A

Anonymous

pedaling squares said:
Great photo Archibald.

I'm guessing Carrefour de l'arbre is a popular enough spot that they erect toilet facilities... is this right? And is there access to food/drink vendors or is it best to bring your own?

Last year the Gendarme cracked down on the drinking so you had to bring your own. But in years prior.... the best tailgate party ever. Bands, dancing, food and of course loads of great beer.

I've not heard if the non-drinking effort will be relaxed this year or not. Does anyone know?

Archibald said:
go see it in a few places.
if you have a vehicle, then do the start (sign on) - you've plenty of time to get to the first section, then charge up to Arenberg before then heading up to Carrefour d'larbre...

Me and a friend did the start once, but we did have to rush to get to one of the first pavés because of tailwind for the peloton... Also, be prepared to drive like a maniac (or DS, if you will...), heavy traffic, jams, because the roads are being sealed off for the riders. We actually ended up in the caravan between the riders by accident once (policemen opened the road too soon). We managed to see the riders on 3 pavés, and then went to the velodrome. Exciting day.
Bring a good map, next to satnav. Getting on carrefour with the car is nearly impossible on race day, be there a day early to maybe get a spot between the flemish crowd.

Swingtop said:
Me and a friend did the start once, but we did have to rush to get to one of the first s because of tailwind for the peloton... Also, be prepared to drive like a maniac (or DS, if you will...), heavy traffic, jams, because the roads are being sealed off for the riders. We actually ended up in the caravan between the riders by accident once (policemen opened the road too soon). We managed to see the riders on 3 pavés, and then went to the velodrome. Exciting day.
Bring a good map, next to satnav. Getting on carrefour with the car is nearly impossible on race day, be there a day early to maybe get a spot between the flemish crowd.

we did the start, the first section of pavé, Arenberg, another section and then the velodrome, and that was in a coach, so I'd expect to see more if you're in a car simply because it'd be far easier to park.
but you'd definately need to plan your route and get your timings right

A

Anonymous

The entrance of Mons en Pevele. Stupid rough and long with a couple of 90 degree turns for good measure. If its raining, this sector will be a nightmare.

25gf6oi.jpg

The last part of Camphin en Pevele is pretty rough and only a couple of Kms before the Carrefour.

2ewmjjd.jpg

Eddy Merckx on the stones in 2010

11k8chi.jpg