• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Roubaix Femmes, 2021 - Oct. 2nd

Everyone; It's time! We're finally getting the very first Paris-Roubaix Femmes.

Get HYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!

9sr6mxlrswk0woko0kgck04-carrefour-de-larbre.jpg

All credit to @ebandit for the information:

teams
Alé BTC Ljubjana (ITA)
Canyon-Sram (GER)
FDJ Nouvelle-Aquitaine Futuroscope (FRA)
Liv Racing (NED)
Movistar (ESP)
SD Worx (NED)
Team BikeExchange (AUS)
Team DSM (GER)
Trek-Segafredo (USA)
A.R. Monex Women's Pro Cycling Team (ITA)
Arkéa Pro Cycling (FRA)
Ceratizit-WNT Pro (GER)
Ciclismo Mundial (BEL)
Cogeas-Mettler Look Pro Cycling (RUS)
Doltcini-Van Eyck-Proximus (BEL)
Drops-Le Col (GBR)
Hitec Products (NOR)
Jumbo-Visma (NED)
Lotto-Soudal Ladies (BEL)
NXTG Racing (NED)
Parkhotel Valkenburg (NED)
Stade Rochelais Charente-Maritime (FRA)
Team Arkea (FRA)
Tibco-Silicon Valley Bank (USA)
Valcar-Travel & Service (ITA)

Meanwhile, Norsgaard has been very chill about it; pointing out that she did great in Flanders! Though, M. Norsgaard and Bjerg have told her that, this is a bit different.

Everyone; It's time! We're finally getting the very first Paris-Roubaix Femmes.

Get HYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!

9sr6mxlrswk0woko0kgck04-carrefour-de-larbre.jpg

All credit to @ebandit for the information:

teams
Alé BTC Ljubjana (ITA)
Canyon-Sram (GER)
FDJ Nouvelle-Aquitaine Futuroscope (FRA)
Liv Racing (NED)
Movistar (ESP)
SD Worx (NED)
Team BikeExchange (AUS)
Team DSM (GER)
Trek-Segafredo (USA)
A.R. Monex Women's Pro Cycling Team (ITA)
Arkéa Pro Cycling (FRA)
Ceratizit-WNT Pro (GER)
Ciclismo Mundial (BEL)
Cogeas-Mettler Look Pro Cycling (RUS)
Doltcini-Van Eyck-Proximus (BEL)
Drops-Le Col (GBR)
Hitec Products (NOR)
Jumbo-Visma (NED)
Lotto-Soudal Ladies (BEL)
NXTG Racing (NED)
Parkhotel Valkenburg (NED)
Stade Rochelais Charente-Maritime (FRA)
Team Arkea (FRA)
Tibco-Silicon Valley Bank (USA)
Valcar-Travel & Service (ITA)

Meanwhile, Norsgaard has been very chill about it; pointing out that she did great in Flanders! Though, M. Norsgaard and Bjerg have told her that, this is a bit different.

Norsgaard's reaction is a part of the third episode of the Run Up series which will be released on Friday

I don't have high hopes for her though. She said after the WC that she felt spend after a tough season where she's had to cope with the pressure of being a leader in every race, and that she was looking forward to having a break before next season.

So when it comes to the sprinter types, I think Kopecky, Jackson, Vos, Henderson, Brennauer, Confalonieri, Hosking, Balsamo and possibly Wiebes have better chances of winning than her. But the winner might not be a sprinter at all, especially not if the weather isn't great.

I would have liked to see Brand and the Plantur-Pura riders in the race, but they are doing CX during the weekend.

I don't have high hopes for her though. She said after the WC that she felt spend after a tough season where she's had to cope with the pressure of being a leader in every race, and that she was looking forward to having a break before next season.

Yeah, I was actually wondering if she might choose not to ride. But I guess having waited so long, she wouldn't wanna miss it.
Of course, that could explain why she's so relaxed about it; if she knows she won't be up there.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
And another thing I don't really get about those short women's races: women are not as strong as men, sure. But is there any evidence that physically they have a kind of disadvantage that disenables them from long distances? On the other hand I read that if the distance is extremely long (don't know where the point was, like an effort of over 1 or 2 days) quite the opposite, they are starting to get an advantage in ultra-endurance events.
So, the only reason to keep the races short is that there aren't enough women to have such a training volume that prepares them properly, mostly because many have other jobs/ studies still on the side?

Reactions: gregrowlerson
And another thing I don't really get about those short women's races: women are not as strong as men, sure. But is there any evidence that physically they have a kind of disadvantage that disenables them from long distances? On the other hand I read that if the distance is extremely long (don't know where the point was, like an effort of over 1 or 2 days) quite the opposite, they are starting to get an advantage in ultra-endurance events.
So, the only reason to keep the races short is that there aren't enough women to have such a training volume that prepares them properly, mostly because many have other jobs/ studies still on the side?

I can see why they don't want to have the same distance as the men's race, because it would take longer for the women to ride it, and it would also create either too much of adifference and/or a more boring race, but less than half of the men's distance is also joke. But finally having a women's edition and being able to watch it live, are the main things here. Is it meant to finish before or after the men's race next year?

Most of the WWT one-day races this year have taken between three and half and four hours to complete for the winner. La Course only took 2:50, and depending on the weather, P-R should also finish in less than 3:30.

If we look at the WC RR it took almost 40 years from its debut in 1958 before it broke the 100 km barrier for the first time, and then another 20 years to get to 150. Today the maximum length for a WC or a WWT one-day race is 160 km (the WC was 157.7 and De Panne 158.8). Trefeo Binda was longer than 140 km for the first time this year, and Strade Bianche is also about an hour longer than it was in the first edition in 2015. So things have changed/are changing, but they shouldn't happen to rapidly either. But it is of course a classic case of the chicken or the egg; should we wait until the level is high enough to require longer races, or will the level automatically get there anyway if we make the changes today?

But it's obviously also a question of money, especially when it comes to TV coverage where there still isn't a lot to be made from women's races.

Reactions: Monte Serra
Having to wait 2021 to have a first Paris-Roubaix Femmes is quite sad. At least they have a good amount of cobbles. Should be enough to make a huge selection, with the rain and the wind on top of it.
If it's not raining too much I'll go @sector 9.
I’m Envious—hope you enjoy it! Don’t forget to wave the CN Forum flag when they come by! ;)

Such a shame Grace Brown had to miss the Worlds due to surgery. Will no doubt miss out here as well.

I admit I don't watch loads of women's races, but when I do watch, Grace Brown is one of the most exiting riders in the peloton for me. Would love to see how she would have gone in this.

I shall certainly be watching this race in full.

Edit: Just reading we're only going to get 90 minutes of coverage! Really? WTF is that all about!?

Reactions: Andy262
Just checked on Eurosport Player schedule.

It's saying coverage from 13.45 to 16.30 (UK time).

It's scheduled to be from 14:15 to 16:15 BST in Denmark, so I assume they will have a UK studio beforehand. But the race begins at 12:45, so they will have ridden more than 50 km including the first four cobbled secteurs before 14:15. And they might not cut to live pictures straight away, so it's not impossible we'll miss one or two secteurs more, depending on the pace in the first part of the race. According to schedule they will finish between 15:44 and 16:04 BST.

No Backstedt Jr? :oops:

Elynor broke her collarbone in Belgium 11 days ago :cry:

• Sad
Reactions: RedheadDane
It's scheduled to be from 14:15 to 16:15 BST in Denmark, so I assume they will have a UK studio beforehand. But the race begins at 12:45, so they will have ridden more than 50 km including the first four cobbled secteurs before 14:15. And they might not cut to live pictures straight away, so it's not impossible we'll miss one or two secteurs more, depending on the pace in the first part of the race. According to schedule they will finish between 15:44 and 16:04 BST.

Elynor broke her collarbone in Belgium 11 days ago :cry:
That's pretty rubbish news. On both counts. Sorry to hear it.

TRENDING THREADS