• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pat, Spain and Tour de France...

Now that Pat (and many others) are so busy attacking the Spanish for doing too little to catch and punish dopers - I'm just wondering: How come that it's all the Spanish riders being caught in the Vuelta at the moment (apart from Conti's positive, of course)?

Normally when someone is caught doping Pat says it shows the system is working... When a handful of Spanish riders are caught (by the Spanish themselves) he says they're not doing enough - weird logic, that.

JPM London said:
Now that Pat (and many others) are so busy attacking the Spanish for doing too little to catch and punish dopers - I'm just wondering: How come that it's all the Spanish riders being caught in the Vuelta at the moment (apart from Conti's positive, of course)?

Normally when someone is caught doping Pat says it shows the system is working... When a handful of Spanish riders are caught (by the Spanish themselves) he says they're not doing enough - weird logic, that.

I think Pat is saying the Spanish don't pay as well as the Yanks.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
JPM London said:

My opinion is that , FIFA and other Spanish sports agencies are actively involved in sports doping. The government of Spain is turning a blind eye to the organized doping which is taking place in Spain. Think Girona for instance. A perfectly central area for sports doping.
As much as the haters in this forum want to give McQuaid a CYBER SPANKING he is in a delicate position.
McQuaid as much as he knows cannot attack doping directly. To many are involved, to many business interests sponsors etc.
For cycling to correct itself from doping it needs to tackle a little at a time. McQuaid knows this.

Mark my words there will be a huge doping Scandal coming out of Spain.
Hopefully the transparancy will bleed in Soccer.

You ain't seen nothing yet with this Contador thing. Sports will be turned on their heads in Spain. How long was Franco in?

May 13, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:

I think you're wrong, because what you anticipate has already happened, except that it was swept under the rug entirely. So, even if it becomes known that there is a new Fuentes working in Spain, what makes you think it'll be handled differently from OP?

I think McQuaid thought he had to say something because he's the boss and couldn't possibly remain silent while all those Spanish riders tested positive. Now he could say it's the UCI's fault for being more interested in avoiding bad publicity than in catching high-ranked dopers, or he could say it's all the Spanish government's fault. It's pretty convenient since a) it's true the Spanish government does **** to fight doping, and b) more importantly, the perception out there is that the Spanish government does **** to fight doping.

There's little logic involved. Like every time McQuaid speaks, it's all about saving face.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:

What do you mean? Bigger than Contador? How much bigger can you go?
They'll have to catch Rodriguez, Anton, Freire and Sanchez all at the same time if you want to be significantly bigger than the Clentador affair.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Vonn Brinkman said:
What do you mean? Bigger than Contador? How much bigger can you go?
They'll have to catch Rodriguez, Anton, Freire and Sanchez all at the same time if you want to be significantly bigger than the Clentador affair.

Villa, Iniesta, Silva, et al

Thats bigger and what he's likely referring to. I'm just pulling names out of my ***, just stating what would be a bigger doping scandal :)

May 13, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
My opinion is that , FIFA and other Spanish sports agencies are actively involved in sports doping. The government of Spain is turning a blind eye to the organized doping which is taking place in Spain. Think Girona for instance. A perfectly central area for sports doping.
As much as the haters in this forum want to give McQuaid a CYBER SPANKING he is in a delicate position.
McQuaid as much as he knows cannot attack doping directly. To many are involved, to many business interests sponsors etc.
For cycling to correct itself from doping it needs to tackle a little at a time. McQuaid knows this.

You ain't seen nothing yet with this Contador thing. Sports will be turned on their heads in Spain. How long was Franco in?

Flicker, you are beyond any help, game over, thanks for playing. :p

May 26, 2010
Visit site
McQuaid obviously doesn't have a holiday home on Spanish soil, so not a problem, but maybe he'll be offered one and declare Spain have fixed their doping problem...:rolleyes:

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
Hey, hey, he is taken out of the national team, due to his most recent incident

Kudos to the coach of the national team for that. But his team has offered him THIS week a contract extension with a pay rise :confused:

My point was that McQuack's words were asking a government to police the sport, which is something other sports would never want governments to do. Remember the Togo football team being banned because they withdraw in the Africa Cup of Nations following their government request after they were attacked by gunmen? The ban was lifted by CAS later on though.

UCI should police the sport they're responsible for instead of blaming someone else. I know, it won't happen.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
indurain666 said:
Flicker, you are beyond any help, game over, thanks for playing. :p

You can hate on Pat and you can hate on me but if you do that then you have your head in the sand. Pat is covering himself and cycling. If you are not grateful for that I guess you do not understand the implications. Although I am not a fan of football those men running around with the white ball are invigorated with a little more than mineral water. Just watch football and the moves. Those are some amazing athletes, verdad?

Cobblestones said:
I think you're wrong, because what you anticipate has already happened, except that it was swept under the rug entirely. So, even if it becomes known that there is a new Fuentes working in Spain, what makes you think it'll be handled differently from OP?

Wasn't OP carried out before the anti-doping laws were introduced in Spain?

"Operation Puerto caused the dismantling of a presumed trafficking network but because the operation was carried out before our new anti-doping law was introduced the judge ruled there was no crime."

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:

McQuaid's in a delicate situation? I'll say!

But it isn't the one you cite. It's "How can I protect my cashcow?"

Cobblestones said:
Only way something like this will happen imo is like the festina-affair. Some random guy of a team gets controlled by some police agent doing a random check at the border, and stumbles on a whole bunch of dope-products. This gets into the news immediately and from then on it is impossible to sweep it under the rug. Actually the last part seems to be the case for Contador as well, it looks like the UCI wasn't going to do anything before the germans found out.

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I have been told personally from people who know Pat Mc Quaid's two son's that they are as crooked and as shady as he is. So it apparently runs in the family. Now I heard that from the horses mouth. As in this is a truthful statement. An actual quote made by real people. So that says alot. Another bit of inside information from the Bald Eagle. Need I say more.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
The Bald Eagle said:
I have been told personally from people who know Pat Mc Quaid's two son's that they are as crooked and as shady as he is. So it apparently runs in the family. Now I heard that from the horses mouth. As in this is a truthful statement. An actual quote made by real people. So that says alot. Another bit of inside information from the Bald Eagle. Need I say more.
Not inside information at all.

Unsubstantiated rumour, possibly bordering on the slanderous.

I wouldn't trust Pat McQuaid as far as I could throw him, but to make an allegation like that is plain wrong. How do you know your source is unimpeachable? What have they based their opinion on?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
the thing is so far we have two riders from Xecebo and Contador, yes Valverde has been banned but technically he has been clean since Puerto and was banned because of that.

How many other riders are banned in Spain at the moment ?

Out of all the Spanish pros at all levels what percentage is it , less than 1% maybe.