• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 233 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sagan undergoes heart surgery today after the scare in Valencia: he exceeds 200 heartbeats on a mountain bike (Italian)

He didn't have 'heart surgery', he had a device implanted under his skin.

"Following the operation on Friday the rider took to social media to give a brief update: “Hello guys, just a brief update. Everything is under control and in just a few days I'll be back on my @iamspecialized bike !! Here's an English translation of the original medical report in Italian,” Sagan wrote on Instagram.

The document supplied by Sagan stated that he was in good health and that a monitor had not been fitted to his heart. The operation was carried out at Lancisi University Hospital in Ancona

“The athlete is fine. An internal electrophysiological study was carried out, which excluded any supraventricular or ventricular arrhythmia of pathological significance,” the statement read.

"A subcutaneous event recorder has been implanted which will allow the future monitoring of the athlete. The procedure was carried out by Professor Antonio Dello Russo - Director of the Cardiology and Arrhythmology Clinic of the Marche University Hospital - and by his team, with the presence of Dr. Roberto Corsetti - the athlete's trusted cardiologist.”

Sagan will spend a short amount of time off the bike, roughly five to eight days, before returning to training. On Friday his spokesperson told GCN that a return to competition was scheduled within the next three weeks as Sagan looks to step up his mountain biking campaign ahead of the Olympic Games in Paris.

“We’ve discussed the situation with the team, with Specialized and we just decided to control the situation immediately so that we can be sure there’s nothing serious. It’s a routine thing to make sure there’s no stress or worries,” his spokesperson said.

“He will stay off the bike for between five to eight days and that’s just to recover from the little surgery. So our plan is to race in Marseille in 20 days.”

The question is, what will the device discover? Will he need a different device (ICD)? An ablation? Other?

He didn't have 'heart surgery', he had a device implanted under his skin.

"Following the operation on Friday the rider took to social media to give a brief update: “Hello guys, just a brief update. Everything is under control and in just a few days I'll be back on my @iamspecialized bike !! Here's an English translation of the original medical report in Italian,” Sagan wrote on Instagram.

The document supplied by Sagan stated that he was in good health and that a monitor had not been fitted to his heart. The operation was carried out at Lancisi University Hospital in Ancona

“The athlete is fine. An internal electrophysiological study was carried out, which excluded any supraventricular or ventricular arrhythmia of pathological significance,” the statement read.

"A subcutaneous event recorder has been implanted which will allow the future monitoring of the athlete. The procedure was carried out by Professor Antonio Dello Russo - Director of the Cardiology and Arrhythmology Clinic of the Marche University Hospital - and by his team, with the presence of Dr. Roberto Corsetti - the athlete's trusted cardiologist.”

Sagan will spend a short amount of time off the bike, roughly five to eight days, before returning to training. On Friday his spokesperson told GCN that a return to competition was scheduled within the next three weeks as Sagan looks to step up his mountain biking campaign ahead of the Olympic Games in Paris.

“We’ve discussed the situation with the team, with Specialized and we just decided to control the situation immediately so that we can be sure there’s nothing serious. It’s a routine thing to make sure there’s no stress or worries,” his spokesperson said.

“He will stay off the bike for between five to eight days and that’s just to recover from the little surgery. So our plan is to race in Marseille in 20 days.”

The question is, what will the device discover? Will he need a different device (ICD)? An ablation? Other?
I’ve had very brief episodes similar to this, I’ll be following to see if anything gets discovered. Hopefully no further issues.