• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 127 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I know I'm looking ahead a bit, but could someone tell me what Sagan's prep will look like for Bergen? I see Eneco and the Canadian classics but that's not too much in terms of racing. Am I missing something?

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Durden93 said:
I know I'm looking ahead a bit, but could someone tell me what Sagan's prep will look like for Bergen? I see Eneco and the Canadian classics but that's not too much in terms of racing. Am I missing something?

Last year he did the same and worlds are couple weeks earlier this year as well

Re: Re:

Dr. Watson said:
Durden93 said:

Last year he did the same and worlds are couple weeks earlier this year as well

Yes, but Eneco Tour had a different spot in the calendar due to the Olympics, so that was different.

I would think that he would also ride Euroeyes Classics and Plouay but I don't know.

Victory!

Funny moment in the Danish Eurosport commentary today, when commentator Thomas Bay started talking about the Sagan incident at the Tour and mentioning that everyone with the slightest of cycling knowledge ought to think that the Sagan DSQ was too harsh. Brian Holm, the co-commentator in BinckBank Tour and one of the few who'd praised the DSQ-decision, was awkwardly silent after that remark :D

Strange finish today at BinckBank. But strong performance by Sagan. He lost lot of tight battles in sprints so it is nice to see Sagan at the opposite side of luck :) By the way why there is no race thread. Nobody is interested in this Tour? I would make one but I am not good at it.

Re:

Kokoso said:
Peter got noticeable worse at time trialing and mountains, at least this year. No longer as good in short time trials as he used to be.
Based on yesterday´s performance? 2nd best of late starters that had worse conditions than early starters. Or his climbing in Pologne where he was helping Majka? He has never been great at either but he´s certainly not worse than before.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Screecher said:
Kokoso said:
Peter got noticeable worse at time trialing and mountains, at least this year. No longer as good in short time trials as he used to be.
Based on yesterday´s performance? 2nd best of late starters that had worse conditions than early starters. Or his climbing in Pologne where he was helping Majka? He has never been great at either but he´s certainly not worse than before.
Not only yesterday's performance, but too. I haven't noticed anything special at TdP, so I disagree on this.

He used to be great in short TT's, check his results first.

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
So Sagan is on his way to win #100 4 months younger than Cav was when he got his. Wonder how far back we'll have to go to find a younger rider to win 100 times.

When you look only on his podiums, that is even more impressive. And it really shows how versatile he really is. Not the best sprinter, but definitely best in positioning.

This was written after Milano - San Remo:
"Sagan’s race statistics are incredible but also revealing: he has ridden 558 races, won 92 races and finished on the podium 204 times. Saturday was his 78th second place of his career. Imagine if just a few of those had been victories. He really would be the Eddy Merckx of his time."

Today it looks like this:
219 podiums out of 587 racing days.

That is over 37,3 % success rate. Just crazy :O

contador_attacks said:
Really insane... In terms of pure talent and versatility, only Gilbert, Boasson-Hagen and Kwiatowski are close to him...

I would definitely put Valverde before Gilbert and Boasson Hagen in that department. Actually, I don't see Gilbert as being anywhere near Sagan, Kwiatkowski and Valverde in terms of versatility. Greg may even be more versatile than him. And Moscon is also knocking on the door to enter such discussions.

For versatility:

Valverde
Kwiatko
Sagan
Dumoulin/Moscon/GvA etc.

Kwitko and Valv beats Sagan in that department, Sagan doesn't really have a great sustained power output for mountains and time trials compared to those two who. Maybe even put Kwitko ahead of Valv, guy is just a monster.

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
For versatility:

Valverde
Kwiatko
Sagan
Dumoulin/Moscon/GvA etc.

Kwitko and Valv beats Sagan in that department, Sagan doesn't really have a great sustained power output for mountains and time trials compared to those two who. Maybe even put Kwitko ahead of Valv, guy is just a monster.
Yep. That is pretty much the other side of his respectable sprint top speed. Cannot have it all.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
For versatility:

Valverde
Kwiatko
Sagan
Dumoulin/Moscon/GvA etc.

Depends what you value more.

Sagan can really sprint with the big boys. Valverde/Kwiatko can't.
Valverde/Kwiatko can do mountains, Sagan only hills.

Valverde/Kwiatko are somewhat better in longer TTs.
Sagan can do cobbles. The other two not really (Kwiatko to some extent).

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
For versatility:

Valverde
Kwiatko
Sagan
Dumoulin/Moscon/GvA etc.

Felline also deserves a mention, when he's on he's great on all kinds of terrain.
Edit: of course he's not in the same league as Sagan, Kwiat or Valverde, I was just talking about his versatility.

I think Sagan's TT is weird as he's insanely good at efforts of only a few minutes, but his TT position looks terrible.

In the cannondale days
69a1c51fdb8e16b404c95ff020a4c735.jpg

This year
sagan-dog-walker.jpg

Re:

Netserk said:
Sagan is more versatile than Piti. I'll give Kawasaki the nod as most versatile though.
Considering Valverde is just so good at everything between 5 sec to 1 hours efforts, especially if you look at w/kg, I definitely do not think he is. As I said, Sagan lacks the ability to sustian the same amount of watts for a longer period of time which is a huge deal. Climbs and time trials very mediocre considering his talent.

TRENDING THREADS