• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 164 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
He can sit in a coast to Paris now pretty much. Would be the sensible option then try for the Champs.

if his hip muscles are hit, will be quite difficult to sprint (successfully) ... let's see ...

today he should be ok ... tomorrow at worst he may join Démare in the back (not sure the latter would like company though, when doing his usual mountain magic thing)

Re: Re:

loge1884 said:
King Boonen said:
He can sit in a coast to Paris now pretty much. Would be the sensible option then try for the Champs.

if his hip muscles are hit, will be quite difficult to sprint (successfully) ... let's see ...

today he should be ok ... tomorrow at worst he may join Démare in the back (not sure the latter would like company though, when doing his usual mountain magic thing)
No way. Sagan can't go into the Aubisque with Demare, he will be destroyed and finish 20 minutes outside the time limit. He has to be on top of the Borderes when Demare hits the climb, that's his only chance I fear :(

tomorrow said:
yetiyeti said:
It was painful to watch him ride today. An amazing result just to finish within the time cut.

I wonder if today, all the grupetto wasn't waiting for him out of respect. I bet even Demare wouldn't want to win green like this.
Sounds like there's always a fair bit of support from other guys in the grupetto, especially for the guys who are injured. Green would be a joke if Sagan couldn't finish - even Demare knows that.

Re:

SHAD0W93 said:
That is really good he could finish. I wonder if he beats Zavel's green jersey record if he would try the Giro and Vuelta to complete the jerseys or continue to do the Tour.

Vuelta could be harder due to the mountains and lack of sprint stages. Hence the reason Valverde has won 3 of them at the Vuelta and has that as one of those strange goals of his to get one more to tie the Vuelta record and two more to break that record.

Koronin said:
SHAD0W93 said:
That is really good he could finish. I wonder if he beats Zavel's green jersey record if he would try the Giro and Vuelta to complete the jerseys or continue to do the Tour.

Vuelta could be harder due to the mountains and lack of sprint stages. Hence the reason Valverde has won 3 of them at the Vuelta and has that as one of those strange goals of his to get one more to tie the Vuelta record and two more to break that record.

Yea but there hasn't been a sprinter that can get as many points as Sagan can. Maybe I am overestimating his ability to get points.

SHAD0W93 said:
Koronin said:
SHAD0W93 said:

Yea but there hasn't been a sprinter that can get as many points as Sagan can. Maybe I am overestimating his ability to get points.

He might be able to. It'd just be a different set of riders and specifically one rider he'd be fighting for that jersey with. Which well could make it interesting as they are the two most versatile riders in the peloton.

I only saw a few minutes of tv coverage of him in ITT. Obviously by his time he took it very easily but the bit I saw he did look much more comfortable on his bike. Anyone see any more coverage or any idea of how likely it is he will be able to be competitive in tomorrow's sprint?

Re:

Finn84 said:
Vuelta also has similar points on all stages. Winning mountain stage at Angliru is as valuable as winning the final parade in Madrid.
Yeah, this point system really favour climbers, i remember back then when was used at the Giro there were battles between Evans and Vino, Contador and Scarponi and Purito was able to beat Cavendish. The only way a sprinter had to win was a total dominance in the sprints like Cipollini '02 or Petacchi '04/'05.

Just watched a few clips of AskSagan and I gotta admit its horrible. We all know he is a pretty bad interview, but the guy just is fooling around and giving short or non-answers. I have never heard him go in-depth with anything. He should be thankfull he has an immense talent....

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Just watched a few clips of AskSagan and I gotta admit its horrible. We all know he is a pretty bad interview, but the guy just is fooling around and giving short or non-answers. I have never heard him go in-depth with anything. He should be thankfull he has an immense talent....

Probably PR training after his questionable actions earlier in his career.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
It's mainly the format that's bad. In his interviews with Sporza during the TdF he's often not just a clown.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

Yes, it's embarrassing to watch that and he's worse than in post-stage interviews where he tends to actually answer all-right for himself.

I'm very interested to reading thaat book of his which will be published this autumn, though.

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:

Yes, it's embarrassing to watch that and he's worse than in post-stage interviews where he tends to actually answer all-right for himself.

I'm very interested to reading thaat book of his which will be published this autumn, though.

Hopefully he's keeping the best anecdotes for the book.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

i want to know something,after watching few clips you undoubtedly noticed the picture of sagan and the face he is making

in what twisted mind would that picture spawn thoughts like "damn i really cant wait to hear something insightful in this segment"

am i the only one who came to the conclusion that it was just a fun little tv piece for fans and not intended for serious cycling audience? :lol:

now if you are 65 years old,i get it but jesus cmon,you are looking for stuff in wrong places