• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Peter Sagan

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
If I was a DS at Liquigas I would be thinking hard about taking Sagan to at least the first week and a half of the Vuelta. I know there are people on this board who get very agitated about teams taking riders to GT's when they are too young and damaging them, but the pace at the Vuelta is usually not as hard as even the Giro, Liquigas has no pressure for results there, and getting some GT experience this year will put him in a much better position to have a go at the Giro or maybe even the TdF next year.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
If I was a DS at Liquigas I would be thinking hard about taking Sagan to at least the first week and a half of the Vuelta. I know there are people on this board who get very agitated about teams taking riders to GT's when they are too young and damaging them, but the pace at the Vuelta is usually not as hard as even the Giro, Liquigas has no pressure for results there, and getting some GT experience this year will put him in a much better position to have a go at the Giro or maybe even the TdF next year.
I agree with you, it would be pretty useful for Sagan to get some experience from the GT, ride some 7-10 stages (and possibly pick couple of good stage results) at Vuelta and then retire from the race and prepare fro World Champs. It would be like another Paris-Nice or California for him but with very different rivals, attention and pressure. And maybe next season give it a try for one complete GT.

AtletiSK said:
I agree with you, it would be pretty useful for Sagan to get some experience from the GT, ride some 7-10 stages (and possibly pick couple of good stage results) at Vuelta and then retire from the race and prepare fro World Champs. It would be like another Paris-Nice or California for him but with very different rivals, attention and pressure. And maybe next season give it a try for one complete GT.

According to cyclismag the new goal for Sagan are the Worlds. And for preparing it he will ride the first 10 days of the Vuelta.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
afpm90 said:
According to cyclismag the new goal for Sagan are the Worlds. And for preparing it he will ride the first 10 days of the Vuelta.

Apparently I actually am a DS at Liquigas. Who knew?

Jamsque said:
I know Rabobank for a fact don't let 20 year old neo pro's ride even 1 grand tour. They protected Gesink and Mollema from riding them in their first year.

Probably better than burning young guns up. I remember Spilak two years ago was used in so many races he was complety gone after may and needed 1,5 year to get back at his old level (and winning Romandy this year)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't think 10 days of Vuelta is going to 'burn up' Sagan, do you? These kids are going to have to get used to the long season and long tours sooner or later.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
afpm90 said:
This is very new for me because normally here in Slovakia we get the latest about Sagan from our media and nobody has come up with this so far, I hope it turns out to be the case, it seems optimal to me for Sagan´s career

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
so today peter did not start the race.
I think liquigas made a mistake with him, if we was so tired it was better for him to rest during this period.
Anyway is sagan going to race the national championship??? i think he can win both time trial and rode race in his home country.Please guys let me know if anyone knows something more about that thing.Thank u in advance

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Inter-Sagan Express has made an unscheduled stop due to running out of fuel. Shame.

Liquigas is running him too hard!! I agree with Dekker Tifosi above...he should not do any of the Vuelta. He can get used to the long tough season when he turns 21 eh?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
If they give him a month or so break from racing and he recovers well and looks good in training I would still take him to the first week of the Vuelta, but he obviously needs some rest right now.

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
after the tour of california he raced in philadelphia and then here in switzerland. I really don't understand the schedule that liquigas made for him.
I think that now he needs to recover and after that as he said he wants to race the world championships in geelong , i think he will race the national championship, and then we will see if he will prepare the world in spain or maybe in small races

May 15, 2009
Visit site
It is better for him to do smaller races such as Eneco Tour than Vuelta.

National Championships? Will Peter Velits race it? If Peter and Martin in it, they will help each other and have a better chance

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
dabaideschbi said:
after the tour of california he raced in philadelphia and then here in switzerland. I really don't understand the schedule that liquigas made for him.
It's not that hard - I mean, there are riders from the Giro in Switzerland as there were in Dauphine. Besides, he was going to rest anyway in July.

But good decision by the team to pull him out.

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Well i think also Peter's brother Jurj is going to race with him and so he can help peter go win the jersey of national champion!!! He is only 20 years old but i see around him a lot of enthusiasm! come on peter

TRENDING THREADS