• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phil and Paul

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
A few years ago if David Duffield was the commentator I would watch the race on mute or find a different commentary feed. I now do the same for Phil and Paul. They are terrible.

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
It's true, and I totally agree with you BUT:

ahd.jpg

Maybe one of the mods can redirect and combine all of our Phil & Paul threads. :)

Every year.....

Yes, I do think they are getting worse...well, especially Phil...

sometimes I just shake my head and am entertained and other times it's like wtf???

They do have a vast amount of knowledge there but sometimes it gets smothered and pushed to the back of Phil's brain behind the drivel button.

Absolutely cannot stand the Lance love comments though.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Why do they have to constantly talk? Constant stream of nonsense. They could cut out all the complete and utter meaningless **** they spew and take their time over commentating on what's actually happening.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Yeah they even called this piece of junk race a GT a few times, and the way they went on about gREENeDGE was non-stop, maybe they want a free caravan from the teams owner.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
happychappy said:
Why do they have to constantly talk? Constant stream of nonsense. They could cut out all the complete and utter meaningless **** they spew and take their time over commentating on what's actually happening.

I don't know if this is a uniquely North American phenomena. The dreaded fear of "dead air". I can not think of a televised sporting event where the commentators are not constantly yammering on and on and on. It makes me nuts!
I've watched some English Premier League football and had the good fortune of hearing Martin Tyler's commentary. In my view, he offers quality insight to broadcast.

BroDeal said:
I think it is a case of the more you know about cycling, the lamer Phil and Paul seem. After a few years of following the sport, you remember their old commentary seemed much better to you even though it was just as lame back then.

The worst part is the repetition :p

how many times do you need to hear what is 'going on in the back of his mind' as he starts the climb, thinking about 'destroying himself for his leader' and then his ' work is done for the day'.

etc etc ad infinitum...:rolleyes:

i already stated my opinion on phil ligget and that's it.it's like that grandfather that has dementia,he's goddamn delusional no doubt but still he is your grandfather and you still love him,you know he really was the voice of cycling for so many years and so on.but yeah definitely delusional ,there needs to be some new fresh blood there.and i don't mean sherwen.

i find it hilarious that a country like romania who has absolutely no one in pro cycling at a decent level has a better commentary on cycling and more knowledge than all the commentators from the anglophone world(and trust me,i listened them all),pretty much at the level of hardcore cyclingnews forums fans.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Its embarassing that they are British.

On a positive note however it seems that the Americans and Australians are the greatest recipients of their drone!

I sometimes grumble about David Harmon, but I take it all back.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
i already stated my opinion on phil ligget and that's it.it's like that grandfather that has dementia,he's goddamn delusional no doubt but still he is your grandfather and you still love him,you know he really was the voice of cycling for so many years and so on.but yeah definitely delusional ,there needs to be some new fresh blood there.and i don't mean sherwen.

i find it hilarious that a country like romania who has absolutely no one in pro cycling at a decent level has a better commentary on cycling and more knowledge than all the commentators from the anglophone world(and trust me,i listened them all),pretty much at the level of hardcore cyclingnews forums fans.

Theres NO beating Sean Kelly.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Paul has started to use the expression "Cat amongst the pigeons". What the hell is he talking about? Seriously? And of course "He is dreaming of a stage win"

Andy99 said:
Theres NO beating Sean Kelly.

sean kelly is one of the biggest stars this sport ever delivered.he's a saint of this sport.
but there is no way in hell sean kelly could be a commentator,even a stone has more soul and the mumbling doesn't help either.it's terrible.
i also don't like at all savoldelli,i don't know why he was selected,yes he's brilliant on the technical side but that's it,he has no vocabulary at all.a commentator should also have knowledge about everything around.a little bit from everything.
the best combination i've ever heard and i think it was the perfect one:
n86371160482_4435935_7259.jpg

adriano de zan,a poet of cycling,defintely the voice of it and cassani.
on rai now is like there are two cassani's i don't like it.pancani has no flavour like de zan or bulbarelli.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
sean kelly is one of the biggest stars this sport ever delivered.he's a saint of this sport.
but there is no way in hell sean kelly could be a commentator,even a stone has more soul and the mumbling doesn't help either.it's terrible.
i also don't like at all savoldelli,i don't know why he was selected,yes he's brilliant on the technical side but that's it,he has no vocabulary at all.a commentator should also have knowledge about everything around.a little bit from everything.
the best combination i've ever heard and i think it was the perfect one:
n86371160482_4435935_7259.jpg

adriano de zan,a poet of cycling,defintely the voice of it and cassani.
on rai now is like there are two cassani's i don't like it.pancani has no flavour like de zan or bulbarelli.

Yeah, you're right. Seans not a good commentator per se, but he really compliments his co commentators well with his knowledge.

Sadly, being a typical Brit, I have few other language skills, so don't get to experience those you describe.;)