• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phinney

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I feel that if Mr. Phinney needs a break he should take one now.
Rest the body and then the head before making a proffessional decision.
Go to the beach and catch some sun.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Being 19, he is probably not making too many big decisions by himself. Plenty of handlers, coaches, parents to help him out... hopefully all having his best interests in mind.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Hope he's getting good advice on the road vs. track. Sounds like he is. Gotta take the road slower if he's having serious head crashes--or not at all.

Multiple concussions (or one very serious one that he just had) or multiple head bangers with helmet breaking is a BIG issue. It's a lifetime issue. Not like breaking bones: they repair; concussions don't. Ask Eric Lindros, etc., in hockey.

Best wishes to Phinney. Great rider.

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
It would be in his best interests to distance himself as far from the influence of Lance Armstrong as possible. He totally got the wrong idea of what kind of guy Armstrong is.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The Executioner said:
It would be in his best interests to distance himself as far from the influence of Lance Armstrong as possible. He totally got the wrong idea of what kind of guy Armstrong is.

While the business is different from his parents era; the skeezy hangers-on, leeches and scumbags are similar. He is an American and could benefit from some of Lance's business exposure while playing the demur younger rider. and not making any inflexible commitments. That would work unless his ego and desire to cash in is extreme. If that's the case he could be yesterday's news in a few years. Hopefully not.

Oldman said:
While the business is different from his parents era; the skeezy hangers-on, leeches and scumbags are similar. He is an American and could benefit from some of Lance's business exposure while playing the demur younger rider. and not making any inflexible commitments. That would work unless his ego and desire to cash in is extreme. If that's the case he could be yesterday's news in a few years. Hopefully not.

LA will squeeze the last drop of sweat from his body in order to make as much cash as he can--remember: It's not about the bike....

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure he's got a pretty good team of advisors around him, and his parents know a thing or two about professional sports, so I'm sure he'll be fine.

pedaling squares said:
Being 19, he is probably not making too many big decisions by himself. Plenty of handlers, coaches, parents to help him out... hopefully all having his best interests in mind.

I know Davis and Connie and they do have Taylor's interests front and center.
They will guide him well, considering their history is professional cycling, without standing on his back about anything. He is in good hands. Davis and Connie are class acts.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
I know Davis and Connie and they do have Taylor's interests front and center.
They will guide him well, considering their history is professional cycling, without standing on his back about anything. He is in good hands. Davis and Connie are class acts.

Very well said!!

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
It would be in his interests to join Team Shack. They need to build some talent since theirs is getting up there in years. Also Johan can build a young cyclist into a Tour Champion (9 of the last 10 Tours, has anyone ever done that).

A

Anonymous

I saw in the CN article that LA and Axel Mercxx both advised Phinney to stay in the U23 team to develop his skills further. So it sounds like he's in capable hands, especially with his parents being seasoned pros themselves.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
Also Johan can build a young cyclist into a Tour Champion (9 of the last 10 Tours, has anyone ever done that).
I will not be convinced that Johan will build any more young cyclists until Lance steps aside. Looking at their lineup, I can't help but think that Radio Shack is more about Lance's agenda than any long-term commitment to development.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Kudos to Lance

Good one, getting the U-23 team in the Tour of Qatar. I hope team Livestrong makes a good mark there. Go Taylor go team Trek.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I knew somebody would perceive his association with Lance in a negative light. Phinney's parents know what the deal is, and if Lance was exploiting or steering him in the wrong direction, they would put a stop to it. Besides, he has his head on straight. So far he and his parents have made all the right decisions.

Clemson Cycling said:
It would be in his interests to join Team Shack. They need to build some talent since theirs is getting up there in years. Also Johan can build a young cyclist into a Tour Champion (9 of the last 10 Tours, has anyone ever done that).

Sounds like it would be in their (Shack's) best interests, not necessarily Phinney's. Their track record with developing young talent isn't the best.
Plus if he shows even the slightest bit of independent thought then he'll be on both of their (Armstrong/Bruyneel's) sh!t list.

Angliru said:
Plus if he shows even the slightest bit of independent thought then he'll be on both of their sh!t list.
Judging by his tweets he's even adopted the Armstrongian habit of dedicating his training rides to cancer patients, so he's moving in the right direction. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, but... oh well, whatever floats your boat, I guess.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
ustabe said:
I will not be convinced that Johan will build any more young cyclists until Lance steps aside. Looking at their lineup, I can't help but think that Radio Shack is more about Lance's agenda than any long-term commitment to development.

I don't know about the above comment. I have been following Taylor Phinney and the Livestrong U-23. They look like they are having fun and that is what cycling is about to me. Whether they make it as international/Euro pros is really up to the rider. If the rider chooses to be used that is the riders poragative . The pro cyclist can go to college and get a real job.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=7924&status=True&catname=Latest News

A

Anonymous

ustabe said:

JB has said it's likely he will quit cycling when LA retires again, and go and set up some youth cycling academy thing in America.

Can I be the first to say "Woo-hoo!".

And then...

"You poor Americans."

I hope Phinney doesn't follow the Armstrong plan too much. He's looking like too much of a talent to concentrate on three weeks in July. I hope he would "honour the sport" as AC says and have a broader spectrum than that.