• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Politics in Sports

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:

jmdirt said:
So let me read between the lines here and assume that "THE Church" just couldn't handle Floyd's Cycling in the ToU. The crazy part is that "THE Church" can't handle the evils of CBD, but they're OK with beer!?

Oh well, I'm glad that the team is in!

Why would "THE Church" (assuming you mean Mormon Church) even get a say in who participates? They're not the Utah state government, are they?

Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
jmdirt said:
So let me read between the lines here and assume that "THE Church" just couldn't handle Floyd's Cycling in the ToU. The crazy part is that "THE Church" can't handle the evils of CBD, but they're OK with beer!?

Oh well, I'm glad that the team is in!

Why would "THE Church" (assuming you mean Mormon Church) even get a say in who participates? They're not the Utah state government, are they?
Yes they are.

Adam Silver and the NBA are sure looking bad. But I think the biggest losers are the Chinese. They're showing the entire world that they have so little support in Hong Kong that they have to threaten anyone who voices any solidarity with the protesters. I assume the Chinese leaders are not so far out of touch with the rest of the world that they don't realize that Americans routinely voice support for protests against their own government. The NBA, and every other organization of pro athletes in America, has players on the same team with strongly opposing political views, yet they manage to work together as a team without these childish my-way-or-the-highway threats. It has to increase the Chinese leaders's blatantly obvious insecurity that their position is so weak that they can't tolerate even foreign criticism of it, let alone that of their own people.

Meanwhile, Donald--I'm just so much against corruption in Ukraine--Trump has not made one freaking peep about HK. One of the biggest stories of the year, and he's totally silent. Can you imagine if he really grew a pair, and instead of this lose-lose policy of tariffs, simply advised the NBA to have nothing more to do with China? If the Chinese want to watch nothing but second-tier Euro leagues, let them do it. They may have the money, but the NBA has all the talent.

Last edited:
Adam Silver and the NBA are sure looking bad. But I think the biggest losers are the Chinese. They're showing the entire world that they have so little support in Hong Kong that they have to threaten anyone who voices any solidarity with the protesters. I assume the Chinese leaders are not so far out of touch with the rest of the world that they don't realize that Americans routinely voice support for protests against their own government. The NBA, and every other organization of pro athletes in America, has players on the same team with strongly opposing political views, yet they manage to work together as a team without these childish my-way-or-the-highway threats. It has to increase the Chinese leaders's blatantly obvious insecurity that their position is so weak that they can't tolerate even foreign criticism of it, let alone that of their own people.

Meanwhile, Donald--I'm just so much against corruption in Ukraine--Trump has not made one freaking peep about HK. One of the biggest stories of the year, and he's totally silent. Can you imagine if he really grew a pair, and instead of this lose-lose policy of tariffs, simply advised the NBA to have nothing more to do with China? If the Chinese want to watch nothing but second-tier Euro leagues, let them do it. They may have the money, but the NBA has all the talent.

The NBA are in deep in China … not just marketing the sport to get more viewers/buyers, but also by developing Chinese talent for the NBA … to get even more viewers/buyers. Maybe if they had a bigger market in Hong Kong to grow their business, they'd jump ship … but, alas, only some tame race horses there to drag them away from China.

So … who has the leverage here to wait it out?

I find the Chinese stance in HK morally corrupt. Even more repugnant … would be the sleazy footwork as Zion, Silver and Trump rock the kowtow. $$$$$$

Just can't believe that none of the outspoken in the NBA--Kerr, Popovich, Lebron--has the balls to support Morey (. Today, Charles I'll-say-whatever-I-damn-want Barkley was interviewed on Amanpour, and he said that the NBA has a business deal with China, and you can't insult them. This is just business.

Jesus Christ, the NBA has a business deal with the U.S. Government, and none of these hypocritical a--holes has the slightest difficulty in criticizing our government. Do these clueless idiots really believe that criticizing Chinese government policy is the same thing as insulting the Chinese people? How come they didn't conclude that their support of Kaepernick was insulting the American people?

For these athetes, it really is all about being allowed to make thousands of times more money than anyone actually needs to have a decent life. I will never, ever believe anything any of them says about social causes in the U.S., knowing they are only speaking out because they can do so without the slightest threat to their grossly exorbitant materialistic lifestyle.

I would love to see a massive boycott of NBA games in the U.S., but of course it will never happen.

Just can't believe that none of the outspoken in the NBA--Kerr, Popovich, Lebron--has the balls to support Morey (. Today, Charles I'll-say-whatever-I-damn-want Barkley was interviewed on Amanpour, and he said that the NBA has a business deal with China, and you can't insult them. This is just business.

Jesus Christ, the NBA has a business deal with the U.S. Government, and none of these hypocritical a--holes has the slightest difficulty in criticizing our government. Do these clueless idiots really believe that criticizing Chinese government policy is the same thing as insulting the Chinese people? How come they didn't conclude that their support of Kaepernick was insulting the American people?

For these athetes, it really is all about being allowed to make thousands of times more money than anyone actually needs to have a decent life. I will never, ever believe anything any of them says about social causes in the U.S., knowing they are only speaking out because they can do so without the slightest threat to their grossly exorbitant materialistic lifestyle.

I would love to see a massive boycott of NBA games in the U.S., but of course it will never happen.
Lebron said “I believe (Morey) was either misinformed or not really educated on the situation"
That is an ignorant statement from an obviously non educated person.
Kerr had some lame reply about china never asking about ar15's or some garbage.

None of these supposed social justice spokespeople should ever speak again.

Yes people should show up at these NBA games with Stand with Hong Kong or Free Hong Kong signs and shirts. The NBA is bowing to china.

Reactions: Alpe73

thought this was an interesting take on the NBA's lack of support for Morey

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/nike-influencing-nbas-handling-of-china-jason-whitlock

Reactions: Alpe73
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS