• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poll: Where will Richie Porte finish on GC?

Poll: Where will Richie Porte finish on GC?

• Outside the Top 10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
A) On the podium
B) Top 5
C) Top 10
D) Outside the Top 10

I can see him outside the Top 10 after he works for Froome in the high mountains and crawls home on the toughest stages after peeling off.

07-IMG_8645_edited-1.jpg

He will be close.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Top 10 just by being there as last man for Froome. Don't think there's much chance at all he'll podium, I'd even be willing to avatar bet on that. :cool:

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Afrank said:
Top 10 just by being there as last man for Froome. Don't think there's much chance at all he'll podium, I'd even be willing to avatar bet on that. :cool:

I will take that, but just because I need a new avatar. I actually think that Porte will come 4th-6th but there is still quite a chance he can finish on the podium.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Froome19 said:
I will take that, but just because I need a new avatar. I actually think that Porte will come 4th-6th but there is still quite a chance he can finish on the podium.

Your on, talk terms in Avatar bet thread.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It's a tough tour with a lot of strong climbers (unlike last year) and there will be too many attacks that he'll have to chase down in Froome's service for him to be on the podium or even top 5. If he manages it, it will be an amazing feat.

papafrog said:
It's a tough tour with a lot of strong climbers (unlike last year) and there will be too many attacks that he'll have to chase down in Froome's service for him to be on the podium or even top 5. If he manages it, it will be an amazing feat.

Sky must avoid what vini selle ilatia team did.

How come a 3 tier domestic beat his leader Cadel Evans suddenly?

It will be too obvious if RP Riche Porter beat his ex-leader Contador.

If Riche Porter did it, it suggest either Riis is fool or someone is doping.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
He will take time on everyone except Froome in the ITTs. And he might be the 2nd strongest climber in the field.

It depends on how strong the skytrain is and how much work he will have to do.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
It's easy. If Froome will be way stronger than any on the climbs, Porte will top-3. If Froome disappoints on the climbs, Porte will work for him and we can not discuss about his chances. As always some medium option is the most probable so I vote for top-5. 60k of ITT can not decide a little with any parcours.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
willbick said:
I've bet porte at 300/1 each way, thats 75/1 to podium. I think he will podium, maybe finish 2nd to froome. He climbs as well as any except maybe froome.

How/when did you get that?

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I think he'll finish just out of the top ten. I think Froome is going to get a much better challenge from multiple riders this year than Wiggins did last year. He won't take nearly as much time in the chronos as Wiggins did, so he'll need to be more proactive in marking attacks in the mountains. And I don't think 5 climbers with a chance at a podium are going to crash badly enough to be out of contention in the first week this year.

So, I think that means Porte is going to be doing a lot more heavy work for Froome, and he'll crack just enough to slip out of the top ten.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
On form I'd say he had an excellent shot at 2nd, but i don't think the race will go to plan.
Last year Froome didn't have to work until there was Wiggins, Froome, Nibali, and maybe 2 others depending on the day. This year I think you'll see Porte having to work and work hard as the spanish guys go to work on sky earlier. Porte in the last 3km Porte will pull himself inside out and reach the other favourites for Froome to destroy them, but he'll be fried. I'll say 6th. Froome, Contador, Rodriguez, Valverde, Pinot to finish ahead of him. I'd like include Quintana in that group, but he'll be fried from pulling the group away in the first place.

i think u guys are living in a fantasy land with yr predictions of massive sustained attacks on the sky train left right and centre. Or maybe just living in the past. As we saw in the tour last year, the sky train set a relentless strong pace up the climbs so that it is virtually impossible for a single rider to get away for very long. It doesnt matter how many attacks there are, they just grind on at the same pre-programmed speed. Porte will be very near the front at the end of every mountain stage no doubt. Sky wont want him to sit up because they know he is a yellow jersey candidate should anything bad happen to Froome. And he is a strong TTer. Anyone thinking he's gonna be outside top 10 must be on drugs. And as for the likes of Mollema, Pinot and VDB being stronger climbers.... laughable.