• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Portable Air Conditioning

Does anybody use a portable AC unit? I want a small, portable unit for our bedroom that gets pounded by the afternoon/evening sun and doesn't cool off enough from the central HVAC. A quick google turns up a lot of results for Arctos, but that many hits and similar 'reviews' makes me wonder. Has anyone tried on of these? Any input would be appreciated!

Does anybody use a portable AC unit? I want a small, portable unit for our bedroom that gets pounded by the afternoon/evening sun and doesn't cool off enough from the central HVAC. A quick google turns up a lot of results for Arctos, but that many hits and similar 'reviews' makes me wonder. Has anyone tried on of these? Any input would be appreciated!

I have 2 (and 2 window units). The reason is because we had several years in a row where our central A/C died and we just didn't trust it. So we have them. Both of ours came from Lowe's Home Improvement store. It worked to keep our bedroom cool when the central A/C wasn't working.

Reactions: jmdirt
How's your hunt for the portable a/c coming along?

I'm afraid I don't have any sage advice because I haven't used one since my family lived in Ohio about 40 years ago, and even then we had only one of those boxy things because we was poh and those window things ate a lot of energy back then. I'm sure nowadays they are more efficient?

If all else fails just use the poor man's a/c - wear a wet t-shirt and run the fan. It's what got me through the hot and humid nights in Ohio. (Well, mostly. :sweat:)

When I was living in Brooklyn and NYC I had an LG unit @$500+ it did lots of things good and had some real quirks..had a 4in flex dryer vent type hose and an accordion style plastic window attachment that made it easy to fit..you crack the window open a little and close it down to hold the piece in place. So you needed 110 someplace close and you have to place the until pretty close to a window. It's on casters so it's easy..
Down side..when you are not using it, pretty bulky and way ugly..looks like Back to the Future..and the condensation drip tray is a hassle..have guests..want it on all day..gotta empty the tray..want to leave it on hours before and all night when you sleep..it fills up at a random rate..in NYC it was easy because your kitchen,bathroom are always 3-4 feet away..it wasn't a gallon but it's a daily thing..
Bought a mini split ac called Mr.Slim..from Mitsubishi..10 in by 3ft unit mounts on the wall of the room,up high,compressor goes outside..@$600+ bucks..works great has remote, has louvers that direct the air..the one we bought is dual so you can use it for heat also..clean looking
In Ensenada we don't have heat or AC so there..fans and space heater when needed which is not very much

How's your hunt for the portable a/c coming along?

I'm afraid I don't have any sage advice because I haven't used one since my family lived in Ohio about 40 years ago, and even then we had only one of those boxy things because we was poh and those window things ate a lot of energy back then. I'm sure nowadays they are more efficient?

If all else fails just use the poor man's a/c - wear a wet t-shirt and run the fan. It's what got me through the hot and humid nights in Ohio. (Well, mostly. :sweat:)
I haven't done much more hunting. The units that don't require outside exchange are iffy, and I definitely don't want one hanging out the second floor window. As long as it even gets into the 70s in the evening/night its doable, but this summer has been hell!

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
I haven't done much more hunting. The units that don't require outside exchange are iffy, and I definitely don't want one hanging out the second floor window. As long as it even gets into the 70s in the evening/night its doable, but this summer has been hell!
I hear ya, Idaho, I hear ya! We're supposed to go over 100F here in Eugene again later this week... I am so sick of this.

Here's another suggestion - maybe you could move your bed, or even just an inflatable mattress, to a lower floor where your central a/c may still be effective? I realize this may not be cool (or sexy) with your wife, but if you want to stay cool and get some sleep you gotta do what you gotta do.

I hear ya, Idaho, I hear ya! We're supposed to go over 100F here in Eugene again later this week... I am so sick of this.

Here's another suggestion - maybe you could move your bed, or even just an inflatable mattress, to a lower floor where your central a/c may still be effective? I realize this may not be cool (or sexy) with your wife, but if you want to stay cool and get some sleep you gotta do what you gotta do.
We've discussed that idea.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider