• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Practical things when watching a stage

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys!

Me and my buddy are thrilled to make a trip down to Switzerland and be on place for stage 15 of Tour de France.

But how do we get the most out of it? If we're going to the top, what time must we get up there? Is car the best way? Bicycle?

If anybody has done the same thing, please share your experience! :)

On your bikes is the only way to go.

The race routes are closed to motors early, and that causes disruption. So to get anywhere near, use a bike.

They do however stop you riding on the route surprisingly early, so plan to get to the Verbier climb 4 hours before the fastest race schedule gets there.

Hopefully you'll get good weather which means take sunblock and water. If not, take spare clothing. Always carry a windjacket so you can descend without freezing badly if caught out in bad weather.

Take a lot of hi carb snacks because you'll be riding, then hanging out by the road, then riding back. It will be a big day out.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
liljeqvist said:
Hey guys!

Me and my buddy are thrilled to make a trip down to Switzerland and be on place for stage 15 of Tour de France.

But how do we get the most out of it? If we're going to the top, what time must we get up there? Is car the best way? Bicycle?

If anybody has done the same thing, please share your experience! :)
I am jealous....
Are you planning to watch the stage at multiple points or will you stay at one particular point?

Cycling the climbs is possible but the Gendarmes used to close off the road approx 3 hours before the riders are due and make you walk your bike- I would assume it is much the same in Switzerland.

Bringing a car up to a point in the final climb is possible - but it is best to do that the day before - and it will be late late late when you get back down! The advantage of the bike is you get to descend back down the climb so it is much quicker (& fun!).

Keep your camera ready. I got this at a crucial point on the Joux Plane in 2000. Armstrong being dropped.

lancebeingdropped.jpg

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Advice

Use a bike. Park in Martingy and ride up in the morning before the stage.

If you get on the climb try to get 1KM up fro mthe bottom (when all the Asstana guys are burnied and the contenders are left alone), get friendly with someone with a camper van and a TV. Watch the guys fly by, run along side and try to get on camera (ping thong would be good), and then get back to the TV to see who wins.

Otherwise get to the top and watch it on the HUGE TV.

Ride the course so you know how badass these guys are.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
american psycho said:
Use a bike. Park in Martingy and ride up in the morning before the stage.

If you get on the climb try to get 1KM up fro mthe bottom (when all the Asstana guys are burnied and the contenders are left alone), get friendly with someone with a camper van and a TV. Watch the guys fly by, run along side and try to get on camera (ping thong would be good), and then get back to the TV to see who wins.

Otherwise get to the top and watch it on the HUGE TV.

Ride the course so you know how badass these guys are.

Was going to add that about the TV- I found beer as the best currency to get friendly with anyone who has a TV - and you can ask is it alright to leave your bike there too. You can then stroll up or down to find a good spot to take the best shot.
After the race goes by you can return to your new friend and claim your ringside seat.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Go to the top of the climb the niight before, get drunk with the Dutch that night crash out in a camper-van(any nationality), and get your breakfast off the Germans, watch the stage from the start on TV by one of the camper-vans(Italian) until 10mins before it arrives at your spot watch it go by. Enjoy it's great.

Latest posts