• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pro Cyling = Doping? Who's not?

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone not doping? I read an interview a while ago, though i can't remember who it was, saying that Vandevelde finishing 8th in the Tour was the first time they realised it would be possible to win without doping. Is Vandevelde "clean", and is there anyone else who by general consensus is "clean"?

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
One suggestion I would like to offer is to phrase your enquiry in a different way. Written like this, it looks like you're absolutely demanding to be handed the best evidence now, immediately, or else. Why not simply ask an interested and open-minded question? Like this, I think many will just send you a link in the vein of google.com (and a lot can be found if you care to look) or reply with something insulting, just to be done with it.

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Jonathan said:
One suggestion I would like to offer is to phrase your enquiry in a different way. Written like this, it looks like you're absolutely demanding to be handed the best evidence now, immediately, or else. Why not simply ask an interested and open-minded question? Like this, I think many will just send you a link in the vein of google.com (and a lot can be found if you care to look) or reply with something insulting, just to be done with it.

point duly noted. question duly edited.

Green Tea

BANNED
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
According to many posters on here, every great performance is due to doping, not so. Most top riders aren't foolish enough to dope.

This is where the majority go wrong. They believe there are only 2 factors which lead to an increase in cycling performance. Long, hard miles & doping.

So what we have is, every rider puts in the amount same hours & miles, the only difference being the amount of EPO a rider does & his ability to mask it goes on to perform the best.

What senseless rubbish.

Get with the times.

I don't buy into the notion that (some) people seem to have about Anglo riders being cleaner than the Euros.

I believe French cycling is the cleanest. They brought in tougher anti-doping laws than other countries. They brought them in before others too.

They brought in a sort of bio passport (Le Suivi Longitudinal Médical Contrôlé) after Festina too.
2001 CN article about French cycling after Festina & the French bio passport.
Info about the French bio passport.

Some quote from the CN article above from Dr Gilbert Peres, who was/is in charge of the French bio passport..
"We are also astonished by the way that certain French riders improve when they are abroad. Also, the propensity that certain teams have to improve in hot countries in winter, returning in exceptional states of form...not only due to the heat. The aim is of course to remove themselves from the controls carried out in France, or elsewhere."
"We need the UCI to be strong willed... But do they really want to stop doping or simply to present a favourable front, and continue to make small deals behind?"

Much sense spoken there. Can't think of many French riders testing positive lately. Oh, Clement l'Hotellerie. Which country was he riding in then? :rolleyes:

Libertine Seguros said:
Aurélien Duval tested positive for a diet suppressant last December or somewhere around there. That's the last one that I can think of.

Yeah I was trying to think of his name. At least FdJ got rid of him straight away.

Agree with the you on Moncoutie. I'd (attempt to) stop watching cycling if he tested positive.

Green Tea

BANNED
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
badboygolf16v said:
EPO/HGH useless? You are an idiot, plain and simple.

EPO enhances VO2. There were riders in both peletons with higher VO2 max's than Cancellara that finished outside the Top 50 in Flanders & Roubaix.

How effective is EPO at winning cycle races???...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tomeke Boonen in 2007
And in a major show of support for the Australian, now sitting second overall, Belgian sprinter Tom Boonen said that Evans, of the favourites left in the race, was one of the riders he still trusted.

"I have given up my belief in most of the rest," the man on course to win the green sprinters' jersey said.

"It is possible to ride the Tour without doping. And to ride and win, too. And Cadel Evans proves in my eyes that you could win it without doping."

Should Evans win the Tour, however, his victory will be overshadowed by the scandals that have rocked the race this year.

;)

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
VO2 max is just one of the parameters for evaluating the performance abilities of a cyclist.

Others include lactate threshhold, max power output, power to weight ratio, bike handling ability, teamwork, nutrition, hydration, motivation, pain tolerance, equipment selection, aerodynamics, recovery rate, mitochondrial density, resistance to disease, blood pH, and probably some others I have forgoteen or neglected to mention.

If VO2 max were everything, then racers could just lne up and perform a lab test to determine the winner. But, that would be boring and limiting.

So, the racers race and everything comes together for the best rider on that day on that course and a champion is crowned.

David Suro said:
VO2 max is just one of the parameters for evaluating the performance abilities of a cyclist.

Others include lactate threshhold, max power output, power to weight ratio, bike handling ability, teamwork, nutrition, hydration, motivation, pain tolerance, equipment selection, aerodynamics, recovery rate, mitochondrial density, resistance to disease, blood pH, and probably some others I have forgoteen or neglected to mention.

If VO2 max were everything, then racers could just lne up and perform a lab test to determine the winner. But, that would be boring and limiting.

So, the racers race and everything comes together for the best rider on that day on that course and a champion is crowned.

Quoted for truth.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
David Moncoutié. If he's doping, the sport is doomed.

I think Moncoutie is clean. Same with Kenny van Hummel. I believe the Milram team to be clean/ish, because if there is a program going on, it ain't working.

Green Tea

BANNED
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I think Riis needed to win the Tour again in '97 to prove EPO worked ("Just like it worked for him in '96".) Unfortunately for the honking Riis, he placed 26 minutes down on a clean Ullrich that year, the eventual winner.

Hmmmmmmm....

Green Tea

BANNED
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I guess it must have worked for Fabian the sameway in his last 2 victories.

When Cancellara was hugging his wife & child at the end of the stage in Roubaix, wasn't that a picture of doping guilt?, of course, if he tested negative before & after the race, in the eyes of many on these boards, EPO would still stand as the deciding factor.

What an absolute joke some of you guys are. Some of you guys are funny to me

Colonel said:
4 words on this performance: Charged to the gills

marinoni said:
This sport is an utter farce. I don't know who said it but- Rotten to the Core.
I'm done. Sorry but I just cant take the stench anymore. Good luck with your riding guys.

Two guys out of touch.

Green Tea

BANNED
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
ferryman said:
Everyone on team Sky is clean 100%. We've been told that since before they had a team.

Not doubted for one second.

Until proven otherwise.

Too much speculating... Too much pointing the finger...

luckyboy said:
I don't buy into the notion that (some) people seem to have about Anglo riders being cleaner than the Euros.

I believe French cycling is the cleanest. They brought in tougher anti-doping laws than other countries. They brought them in before others too.

They brought in a sort of bio passport (Le Suivi Longitudinal Médical Contrôlé) after Festina too.
2001 CN article about French cycling after Festina & the French bio passport.
Info about the French bio passport.

Some quote from the CN article above from Dr Gilbert Peres, who was/is in charge of the French bio passport..
"We are also astonished by the way that certain French riders improve when they are abroad. Also, the propensity that certain teams have to improve in hot countries in winter, returning in exceptional states of form...not only due to the heat. The aim is of course to remove themselves from the controls carried out in France, or elsewhere."
"We need the UCI to be strong willed... But do they really want to stop doping or simply to present a favourable front, and continue to make small deals behind?"

Much sense spoken there. Can't think of many French riders testing positive lately. Oh, Clement l'Hotellerie. Which country was he riding in then? :rolleyes:

No way Mellow V, the Spanish are the cleanest.

TRENDING THREADS