• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pro Team Logistics

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
This has been a question in my mind for a long time and can maybe I can get some of the questions answered here (or at least discussed) :confused:

It MUST be a logistical nightmare for ALL the ProTour teams to travel all over the world with all the gear they need to carry. So here are just some of the things that jumps to mind:
1./ How the heck do they get those fancy decked-out Team buses from the Tout Down Under to Tour of Calif and then back to Europe for the season there?
2./ Do the team organizers sign with more than one company to provide the transport?
3./ Does it apply to the team cars too?

I can imagine if they kjeep a spare set on each continent, then the only transport required will be to ship the 2 - 3 bikes for each rider, but it cannot be that trivial an exercise, can it?

- Was just wondering, while watching racing, the logistics questions are somewht fascinating to me

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It's easy...they didn't transfer the buses, Service Trucks, teamcars to AU and USA, they stayed in Europe.
In USA they have a small fleet of cars...other places rent , leasing on their own or event organizers will provide transportation.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
At TDU they just have small team cars from sponsors, They must bring down a couple of bikes each and all they need, but it's only a 5 day tour and no time trial so no need for the big team bus.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
There are agreements that races like the TDU won't have a TT and the Tour of Qatar team time trial is "road bike only" so as to avoid the teams having to take extra bikes around the world. A lot of riders in California just used road bikes.

In Europe, where 98% of the races happen, each team has a service course or race HQ. This is a warehouse storing supplies like clothing and spare parts and the team will have a truck to carry bikes. Sometimes the team truck and mechanics will be away from their service course for some time, so they have to keep a big stock.

Latest posts