• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Professional Cyclist Gear

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
my question is this,

How much 'stuff' do professional cyclists get each season to have? like do they get given 2 bikes, or ten? or like 50 jerseys or do they wash the same one over and over?

i'm just curious how much free clothing and bikes and stuff they get? anyone know?

cheers

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
majikat said:
my question is this,

How much 'stuff' do professional cyclists get each season to have? like do they get given 2 bikes, or ten? or like 50 jerseys or do they wash the same one over and over?

i'm just curious how much free clothing and bikes and stuff they get? anyone know?

cheers
I know as soon as the season finished for one current rider and he had signed for another team, the first team came and got his bikes almost immediately. He was offered a bike at a discount price of around 2000 euro. The bike probably sold for 3 or 4 times that. They get a good supply of clothes but as you know it takes a while to wear in some clothes, so its not like they are changing weekly or every race. It's amazing how many people ask him for a jersey, just because they have read about him and sent him a message on his guestbook they think they know the rider. Some people(so called fans) can be very devious.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I see ex-Silence Lotto pro Nick Gates who retired last year riding and still racing and he is still using last year's Ridley with Campagnolo Record. So either he got it cheap or his mate Robbie McEwan paid for it (still wears the kit, helmet etc).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
it depends

I own a Team bike which I bought from the owner of the team at the end of the season. The rider did not get to keep it.
Pros can get loan of bikes or get them outright. I also own a MTB I bought from the pro that road it so some pros get to keep all their gear.

Riders would get enough kit to cover all weather conditions and enough shorts and jerseys to cover their calendar as well as to replace for crashes.

If you remember Mercury they got new kit in the spring and those silver shorts looked pretty thin by fall.

A big team will likely supply 3 or 4 bikes including a TT rig. A home bike and for riders competing a lot across the Atlantic likely a Euro based bike and an America based bike. A big name rider probably keeps more than a Domestique. and a Pro tour rider probably keeps more than a Continental pro. It all depends on their contracts.

It is a job. You don't get to take the computer home after you leave a job and most have to give back the company car. A few execs keep their office chair but it would be included in their severance packages. Every one keeps clothes.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I raced in spain for a season as a 'semi Pro' (don't ask !!) I was given a bed in a flat with 2 other riders (shared 1 room) had a grocery account with about £20 a week budget (grocery store was a sponsor) I got 2 bikes (well 1 and a half, shared a 2nd bike with another rider and used my own bike for training much of the time) and I got 2 pairs of shorts and 2 jerseys (paid for own shoes !!!) and bizarrely enough got 12 bottles of Gin ( another sponsor) and all was given back when I left (except the Gin !!!)