• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Prudhomme requests a "rapid" solution on AC's case

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/prudhomme-calls-for-rapid-conclusion-in-contador-case

I expect a response as soon as possible, as quickly as possible. The Spanish Federation and the UCI must decide before the season starts

ASO & Prudhomme "undestand" what implications have AC's case unsolved as the UCI/MacQuiad wish to-and we're talking about an economical impact on all ASO races that are expected to be ridden by Contador.
Pat is toying with the situation only to get his piece of the tart, before he "decides" to make a ruling....

Please opine

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/prudhomme-calls-for-rapid-conclusion-in-contador-case
ASO & Prudhomme "undestand" what implications have AC's case unsolved as the UCI/MacQuiad wish to-and we're talking about an economical impact on all ASO races that are expected to be ridden by Contador.
Pat is toying with the situation only to get his piece of the tart, before he "decides" to make a ruling....
Please opine

My guess is that Contador has his liquidity tied up in the Portuguese forex market and can't yet send Pat the trunk-case filled with Swiss Francs. And I'd imagine the Spanish federation officials now also have their hands out.

images

hfer07 said:

Please opine

If I was making the decision, I'd want to avoid making a bad or hasty (yeah i know it's already been what seems like a millennium) decision. I think RFEC and UCI are the same. There would be too much repercussion if they could not back their position. The other thing is RFEC does not appear to have all the expertise to decide on the Conti case, and has been using the UCI (& maybe others) as a consultant. Based on that alone, I think RFEC is a little gun shy about making a decision. Plus the process involving any consultant will simply take longer... oh, i left a phone message or emailed so & so but have not heard back yet, and so on. Bottom line is, ASO & Co. or anyone can plead for quick resolution all they want but I don't think that will speed the process any. Sad as it is.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:

Please opine

Pat McQuaid has no say in the decision, and Prudhomme is an idiot for thinking he can force the wheels of justice to move faster just to suit the ASO's needs. No matter what the result in this case, it's going to be appealed by the losing party to CAS. That means Contador will miss the 2011 Tour.

Contador will also lose his case because his defense is bankrupt and lacks any evidence that the meat he ate was, in fact, tainted. He has typical Euro-lawyers who seem to be academic idiots and always selling their naive clients on this "violation of human rights" garbage despite the fact that every single one gets tossed in court. It's like Valverde didn't read when Hondo's case or Kasheckin's case were dismissed?

Did Valverde actually think he was going to start a trend whereby the Swiss Supreme Court was going to overturn doping bans because of alleged "human rights" violations?

These cyclists are real stupid and so are their loser attorneys.

TERMINATOR said:
Pat McQuaid has no say in the decision, and Prudhomme is an idiot for thinking he can force the wheels of justice to move faster just to suit the ASO's needs.

You haven't been following Pat and the UCI very long because there's every indication Pat is deeply involved of the doping enforcements that do or do NOT happen regardless of the nature of the doping positive.

Pat is stuck with dealing with ASO as a very important partner. So, a little public complaining might help Pat finish up the upcoming incredible (e.g. not credible) enforcement for Pharmador. A general rule for the UCI is, if there's a rule in the way of putting on a good show, just pretend the rule doesn't exist... until they need the rule again.

Based on Pat's comments, the ASO is the only independent event organizer he will not schedule UCI-owned events against. The other independent promoters will likely have UCI-owned events scheduled against them very soon. A good example is the Training Ride of California versus the Giro.

What makes the riders look 'stupid' is the guidance they are getting. The riders are playing along because they are lead to believe it's the path to their post-violation contract. In some cases it works, in others, it doesn't.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:

I dunno...Iljo Keisse seems to be doing relatively well, despite (or should I say, because of) his attorney's blatant abuse of the legal process.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ASO has marketing to do and probably would like to find a way to cut the UCI out of their franchises. Considering the prior disagreements over Tour team eligibility ASO could have the money and clout to squeeze the UCI. Do they care about Contador? Probably not. If they could conduct the Tour their way with the French federation conducting testing it might make for a more palatable event from the public relations perspective.
At any rate they just want to remind the UCI who really runs the show.

Oldman said:
ASO has marketing to do and probably would like to find a way to cut the UCI out of their franchises. Considering the prior disagreements over Tour team eligibility ASO could have the money and clout to squeeze the UCI. Do they care about Contador? Probably not. If they could conduct the Tour their way with the French federation conducting testing it might make for a more palatable event from the public relations perspective.
At any rate they just want to remind the UCI who really runs the show.

+1000
The fact that ASO owns the most successful Road races minus the Giro, gives the power to call for a solution-which makes Pat to look like the incompetent he is. As you expressed-Prudhomme/ASO might don't care about AC-they didn't have any problem expelling him & Astana back in 08-now is even easier to say no-BUT they're prudent enough to do wait for a final verdict before they comment whether or no his presence is "good or bad" as McQuaid has stated. aside the Tour- Contador is well received during Paris-Nice & the Criterium Dauphine, so as you noted-- they need to market those races knowing in advance if he's going to be part of then or not--they care less about what's behind 5 picograms of Clen & the trouble of WADA/UCI/RFEC trying to sort it out....

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
It's not like he nailed a list of demands on the front door of the UCI offices. The guy, among other things, runs a race that ended five months ago. He's got another round to get ready for, including marketing and other publications. I don't think knowing the identity of the 2010 winner is too much to ask for. How far in advance do they make TV commercials and stuff? They need to know whose image and video clips to use. Plus it's not good for the sport.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:
How far in advance do they make TV commercials and stuff? They need to know whose image and video clips to use. Plus it's not good for the sport.

It is causing a headache of epic proportions, I'm certain. They can't plan if they don't know how they're selling the race. "Who will be the next to win?" or "Can young Andy beat the 3-time champion?".

This situation really ties their hands and makes current marketing efforts really lame. Hard to attract advertisers when you don't have an epic battle looming.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
you would think that ASO would have learnt their lesson after the '98 affair and demand the cleanest race possible with life bans from the TdF for riders caught positive on the race. The TdF is the biggest sporting event that takes place every year. Can't they see it needs to be squeaky clean or is the bad publicity just as welcome as good publicity? hardly if TV stations are pulling out and sponsors are getting difficult to find for major teams.

ASO should grow some balls and take the lead in cleaning up sport.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
You haven't been following Pat and the UCI very long because there's every indication Pat is deeply involved of the doping enforcements that do or do NOT happen regardless of the nature of the doping positive.

Give me one (1) example of a doping case where Pat McQuaid was involved in the enforcement or lack of enforcement.

In case you don't know, doping cases are decided by national federations, independent organizations like USADA or ASADA, and CAS. The UCI has no say in the outcome of any doping case as per the rules.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Based on Pat's comments, the ASO is the only independent event organizer he will not schedule UCI-owned events against. The other independent promoters will likely have UCI-owned events scheduled against them very soon. A good example is the Training Ride of California versus the Giro.

McQuaid has nothing to do with whatever date the Tour of California organizers select for their race. And there are plenty of UCI races that conflict with ASO events, including the Tour de France.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
McQuaid has nothing to do with whatever date the Tour of California organizers select for their date. And there are plenty of UCI races that conflict with ASO events, including the Tour de France.

other cycling events? such as?

TERMINATOR said:
Did Valverde actually think he was going to start a trend whereby the Swiss Supreme Court was going to overturn doping bans because of alleged "human rights" violations?

If being 'real stupid' allows me to race for almost a year and win the Vuelta, among other things, then that's fine by me. I don't think Valverde and his legal team were out to set a precedent for other cyclists, they were just out to prolong the limbo of his weirdly complicated case, which was falling in his favour because he got to keep racing. His appeal to the Swiss court seemed to me like a last-ditch effort when things stopped going his way, basically 'might as well because we tried everything else'. Remember that the advice of his loser attorneys worked in his favour for a very long time before it didn't.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
It is causing a headache of epic proportions, I'm certain. They can't plan if they don't know how they're selling the race. "Who will be the next to win?" or "Can young Andy beat the 3-time champion?".

This situation really ties their hands and makes current marketing efforts really lame. Hard to attract advertisers when you don't have an epic battle looming.

I don't think this is such a big factor at this point in the season. A lot can happen. A simple fall in a training ride and fractured clavicle can mess up a whole season, for instance. These guys have to be more flexible than you give them credit for.

ETA: I just noticed that this was my post #2000. I probably should have posted something more upbeat.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
and did that get moved to clash with another race?

As Roundabout says, yes it did.

Plus the Canadian one-days were introduce to clash with the Vuelta, Vatenfall will clash with it too this year.

The proposed Tour of Beijing clashes with Paris-Tours

Vuelta al Pais Vasco now clashes with Paris-Roubaix, which it didn't used to (at least in 1986 when Kelly won both).

But apart from those, the UCI never schedule against ASO races

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
As Roundabout says, yes it did.

Plus the Canadian one-days were introduce to clash with the Vuelta, Vatenfall will clash with it too this year.

The proposed Tour of Beijing clashes with Paris-Tours

Vuelta al Pais Vasco now clashes with Paris-Roubaix, which it didn't used to (at least in 1986 when Kelly won both).

But apart from those, the UCI never schedule against ASO races

one might infer that UCI are trying to position their preferred 'new world' events to clash with ASO for a long term battle to win TV rights...

TRENDING THREADS