Pulmonary Embolisms Happen All The Time

Mar 18, 2009
2,553
0
0
BotanyBay said:
Every healthy elite athlete gets a pulmonary embolism sometime, right?
Some do (about 10 in 100,000 every year). DVTs are more common, though (about 30 in 100,000 every year).
 
Mar 18, 2009
2,553
0
0
acoggan said:
Some do (about 10 in 100,000 every year). DVTs are more common, though (about 30 in 100,000 every year).
Sorry, that was assuming no precipitating events. After reading the article, though, it sounds as if she may have 1) undergone surgery on her foot, and 2) been flying coast-to-coast, both of which would increase the odds of a PE.
 
Mar 18, 2009
2,553
0
0
L'arriviste said:
She already had a blood clot once before, right? What are the ratios for that? ;)
Did she? That would certainly increase the odds of her having another one.
 
Jun 9, 2010
2,007
0
0
Ohhhhhh She didn't.... bad girl... bad girl... a but she is a tenn...

oh wait...
 
Oct 25, 2010
3,049
2
0
L'arriviste said:
She already had a blood clot once before, right? What are the ratios for that? ;)
Well, in her defense, I do know that the Williams sisters do spend a significant amount of time sitting in private jets. That would explain DVT, but what about pulmonary embolisms?

I posted this because the Williams sisters are rumored to like PEDs. Could the misuse of EPO cause an embolism like this?
 
Mar 18, 2009
2,553
0
0
BotanyBay said:
Well, in her defense, I do know that the Williams sisters do spend a significant amount of time sitting in private jets. That would explain DVT, but what about pulmonary embolisms?
Absolutely. Clots form most frequently in the legs (esp. the calves), but if a part breaks off it goes straight to the lungs. That's why individuals at high risk of thrombosis (e.g., cancer patients) are often fitted with a filter in the vena cava.

BotanyBay said:
Could the misuse of EPO cause an embolism like this?
Again, absolutely.
 
Feb 14, 2010
2,202
0
0
The Williams sisters don't play a lot of tournaments during the year. At an event like Wimbledon, she could play seven matches across fourteen days, and her matches might last between thirty minutes to an hour, complete with time spent sitting on a chair on changeovers. Why on Earth would someone use EPO for something that is hardly an endurance event? I can see people thinking that her muscles aren't natural, but I've played eight sets of hard tennis in a day before, and endurance wasn't an issue.
 
theswordsman said:
The Williams sisters don't play a lot of tournaments during the year. At an event like Wimbledon, she could play seven matches across fourteen days, and her matches might last between thirty minutes to an hour, complete with time spent sitting on a chair on changeovers. Why on Earth would someone use EPO for something that is hardly an endurance event? I can see people thinking that her muscles aren't natural, but I've played eight sets of hard tennis in a day before, and endurance wasn't an issue.
Training, recovery.
 
Oct 25, 2010
3,049
2
0
theswordsman said:
The Williams sisters don't play a lot of tournaments during the year. At an event like Wimbledon, she could play seven matches across fourteen days, and her matches might last between thirty minutes to an hour, complete with time spent sitting on a chair on changeovers. Why on Earth would someone use EPO for something that is hardly an endurance event? I can see people thinking that her muscles aren't natural, but I've played eight sets of hard tennis in a day before, and endurance wasn't an issue.
Wealthy control-freak athletes who'll pay for every possible advantage they can possibly get (sound like anyone else we know?). If it allows them to train that much harder and slam that ball 3 MPH faster, then they'll pay $60k per year for a drug that might help them earn an extra $2MM.

Even Tiger Woods was seeing a Canadian doctor who was giving him Actovegin treatments. When you've got a private jet and are sitting in Florida pondering if spending $20k for a treatment might help you out in that tournament next week, you think nothing of that $20K. Nothing.
 
Oct 25, 2010
3,049
2
0
More here:

Tennis player Serena Williams was rushed to a Los Angeles hospital Monday to undergo emergency treatment for complications from an earlier pulmonary embolism -- a blockage in an artery of her lung.

Her rep, Nicole Chabot, told People Magazine Williams developed the clot last week after returning to Los Angeles from New York, where she had been visiting doctors about a foot injury. Williams reportedly cut her foot on a piece of glass at a restaurant in July. It required two surgeries.
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
theswordsman said:
The Williams sisters don't play a lot of tournaments during the year. At an event like Wimbledon, she could play seven matches across fourteen days, and her matches might last between thirty minutes to an hour, complete with time spent sitting on a chair on changeovers. Why on Earth would someone use EPO for something that is hardly an endurance event? I can see people thinking that her muscles aren't natural, but I've played eight sets of hard tennis in a day before, and endurance wasn't an issue.
She played 11 matches in total during Wimbledon. Endurance would certainly be a factor in any event that goes on over a week.

But this reason....
hrotha said:
Training, recovery.
....is much more likely.
 
Jun 23, 2009
128
0
0
BotanyBay said:
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20470190,00.html?hpt=Sbin

It couldn't possibly be EPO. Every healthy elite athlete gets a pulmonary embolism sometime, right?
I think your post must be ironic. The possibility that a young healthy athlete gets a pulmonary embolism is not hight. She must have taken EPO which leads to a higher hematocrit and probably to this life threatening incidence.
I worked in a hospital for a lot of years and know what I'm talking about.
 
isayic said:
I think your post must be ironic. The possibility that a young healthy athlete gets a pulmonary embolism is not hight. She must have taken EPO which leads to a higher hematocrit and probably to this life threatening incidence.
I worked in a hospital for a lot of years and know what I'm talking about.
Not here to defend the doping sisters, but even though you worked in a hospital and know what you are talking about, you may not know everything.

A non-doping Cat 4 friend of mine had a pulmonary embolism. Young and healthy otherwise.

If he were doping (no offense to him), he needed better drugs.

Dave.
 
Jul 6, 2009
795
0
0
isayic said:
I think your post must be ironic. The possibility that a young healthy athlete gets a pulmonary embolism is not hight. She must have taken EPO which leads to a higher hematocrit and probably to this life threatening incidence.
I worked in a hospital for a lot of years and know what I'm talking about.
doctors rarely know what they speak of but they think they do and went to school also paper work says they know so i guess that means they know things us dumb people dont thats worth something i guess...:rolleyes:

sarcasm aside some of the chats i have had with doctors throughout my life were well eye opening not in a good way no respect from me.
 
Feb 28, 2010
1,661
0
0
Willy Voet stated in his book that the only reason to take legal substance `x' was that it added to the effect of illegal substance `y'. I believe that the Williams sisters have said that they have taken substance `x'.....
 
Jul 2, 2009
2,392
0
0
I've known three people who died unexpectedly in their twenties/early thirties, and another that had a stroke. Another guy I know has cancer for the second time aged 39 and is going to lose his leg.

Could the forum please tell me which PEDs they took so I can avoid them. Because that's the only possible cause, right?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY