• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

race radios

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Looking at this
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/race-radios-saved-horrillos-life-rabobank-teammate-claims

It strikes me that there is an obvious half way house solution between
* complete radio ban
* everyone has two way radio to their team mates and uses it to control the race

How about
* an official race radio channel (broadcasting essential safety information only) that everyone can hear
* some one way emergency channel from riders to officials for the sort of scenario outlined in the article.

galaxy1 said:
Looking at this
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/race-radios-saved-horrillos-life-rabobank-teammate-claims

* complete radio ban
* everyone has two way radio to their team mates and uses it to control the race

How about
* an official race radio channel (broadcasting essential safety information only) that everyone can hear
* some one way emergency channel from riders to officials for the sort of scenario outlined in the article.
+1.

This is my first comment on race radio after 1,000,000,000 discussion posts on this site. I agree with you. If it saves 1 life, it is enough. Remember the helmet rule. It took one death to make it mandatory (Although helmets are probably more critical).

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
galaxy1 said:
Looking at this

* complete radio ban

How about

Good idea. Especially with the traffic barriers races encounter as well. The riders still get to set strategy and actually race.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
Good idea. Especially with the traffic barriers races encounter as well. The riders still get to set strategy and actually race.

You obviously have no idea about pro racing, or any racing at all for that matter. The riders still set strategy during the race because they are the ones up the front and believe me they still race. If you think radios just turn them into some kind of robot try racing with them and see how long you last. What a stupid comment.

Do we really have to discuss this again, we've had a million threads about it and I know it's 'new' because of the article but it will ultimately end up with all the same arguments from the last million threads about radios.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Can a mod please merge this with the other thread we had on this subject recently? Seems pointless having two threads on the same topic.

Just my 500 Vietnamese D-ong worth.

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the safety aspect of it. as large as the peleton is and the likely hood that some racers are going to get dropped off the back as they abandon the race leaving them with out the safeguard of the cars and race officials to monitor them. What if it had been something like Kim Kirchen's heart attack or this riders accident that cost them life. Don't know that I'd want to answer for that.

I'm completely in favor of race radios but if there was to be one in between fix that could be ok then I suggest either banning outgoing radios in the team car or banning TVs in the car. That way the riders can stil communicate with each other and they can also communicate things back to the team car but the team car can't control the race since they can't talk back to the riders.

TRENDING THREADS