• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rachel Dolezal

My first thought is WtF is wrong with her parents? Who calls their kid out on the national news?!

My second thought is who cares if you are (or identify as): black or white, gay or straight, man or woman...

With that being said, she has done some disingenuous stuff over the years, and even her interview with ML had some odd moments, but how do you explain this to people?

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Her parents have said she has big issues and its caused a lot of problems in their family.
I still think her parents are part of the problem, Forget the race issue , Rachel does not have any problems in denying who her real parents are.
You cannot change your family history/ ancestry, so you cant change what you are in the real sense but you can embrace a different culture.

Re:

Nick C. said:
I thought she "disowned" her parents so it's not that straightforward. I just don't get liars.

Based on what I have read, she should have disowned them. They prove their "love for their child" by crapping on her for the whole world to see. I agree, I would have better feelings about her as a person if she hadn't lived her life like a politician. Lies tend to come back and bite you, she is one more example of that.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

irondan said:
She's a real piece of work... I'm just hoping something newsworthy happens in the US to knock her off the headlines, and back to where she belongs.

The Spokane NAACP? There's like 7 black people in Spokane, 8 if you count Dolezal.

Rant over.......

It was kind of funny reading the news in European online media, where the articles reported that she was "the head of a civil rights organization", but since none of these so-called journalists go through the trouble of doing any research and just rehash what is "trending" in the US, nobody quite realized how insignificant Spokane is and how small of a deal this lady actually is.

I feel kinda bad for her. My "couch psychiatrist" diagnosis is that she might have some mental issues. It sounds like she went to an "all-black" college (I didn't know there was such a thing) and is fascinated with African american history and culture. I think the wish to be like someone else, or to fit in to a specific group is something we can all relate to. Some people then might get caught up in it or lose control. Michael Jackson always said he had a "skin condition".

If she doesn't have psychological issues - good for her. But I do feel kind of bad for her for getting exposed like this, when in the grand scheme of things it is completely insignificant. It's just one random lady from Spokane's bad decisions or mental problems

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
jmdirt said:
My first thought is WtF is wrong with her parents? Who calls their kid out on the national news?!

My second thought is who cares if you are (or identify as): black or white, gay or straight, man or woman...

With that being said, she has done some disingenuous stuff over the years, and even her interview with ML had some odd moments, but how do you explain this to people?

pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Christian said:
It was kind of funny reading the news in European online media, where the articles reported that she was "the head of a civil rights organization", but since none of these so-called journalists go through the trouble of doing any research and just rehash what is "trending" in the US, nobody quite realized how insignificant Spokane is and how small of a deal this lady actually is.

I feel kinda bad for her. My "couch psychiatrist" diagnosis is that she might have some mental issues. It sounds like she went to an "all-black" college (I didn't know there was such a thing) and is fascinated with African american history and culture. I think the wish to be like someone else, or to fit in to a specific group is something we can all relate to. Some people then might get caught up in it or lose control. Michael Jackson always said he had a "skin condition".

If she doesn't have psychological issues - good for her. But I do feel kind of bad for her for getting exposed like this, when in the grand scheme of things it is completely insignificant. It's just one random lady from Spokane's bad decisions or mental problems

The family is majorly messed up. All of them. The parents have been into ultra strict fundamentalism, and there are all kinds of sexual abuse allegations about the oldest (white) brother, who has a trial coming up, and the parents claiming the younger kids were lying when they reported the abuse. One of Rachel's "sons" is apparently her adopted brother, whom she took away from the parents reportedly because of the parents shipping off other siblings to out-of-state group homes for failure to follow the religion and/or reporting the older brother's sexual abuse of them. Different people all seem to have different stories about what happened. It's a horrible mess, and there's definitely major issues there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...al-for-alleged-sexual-abuse-of-a-black-child/

TRENDING THREADS