• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Radio Shack's CEO Retires . . .

Radio Shack Saga

They were looking for a buyer when they did the bike sponsorship deal. It was a last gasp before their market cap got chopped down to a little less insane number.

The home of Realistic quit doing anything unique a long time ago and what odds and ends they carry are horrible quality, except for the other 3/4 of the products that every other electronic store has.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Hog is saying that because no one else is gonna touch him with a barge pole.

if Radiosmack dont renew Hog is finished in cycling. his biggest star is about to get plastered all over the world's media about his doping and when that's proven, his charity is going to get exposed for the fraud it is. Hog is not be around form much longer. retirement and licking his wounds after its over while making trips to suisse to get some spare cash

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, reportedly even Manolo Saiz is close to resurfacing w/i cycling. So I'm pretty sure we'll see the Hog again.

As for rebranding, c'mon show some respect. Officially RS is "The Shack" nowadays :)

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Julian Day and a half dozen others went all out posturing Radio Shack for a takeover that never happened. When all the big news sources first reported that the Shack was a take over target..Day was estimated to walk with a one time sum between 40-75 million. He is probably wishing that Best Buy bought them and that he didn't pump millions into a marketing vehicle that has the wheels falling off of it.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Is this the same RS CEO who last year was added to the Lance Armstrong Foundation Board of Directors?

At least he has something to look forward to during his career change.

Colm.Murphy said:
Is this the same RS CEO who last year was added to the Lance Armstrong Foundation Board of Directors?

At least he has something to look forward to during his career change.

That's how Board of Directors work. They are largely friendly to the CEO's they are supposed to manage. I don't know why the idea persists that a Board is a disciplinary force for management. They are not.

Day's got the pedigree to be on any board. He and his cohorts flushed Sears down the toilet before running the house of Realistic. The new CEO was groomed by Day. So, expect more of the same.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Whenever a company hires a new CEO the first thing the CEO looks at is how to increase profits to reward the BOD and stock holders. When Discovery Channel got a new CEO I read about his cost cutting ideas (no mention of the cycling team at first). Then a few weeks later he did not renew the contract with the cycling team. "Hey - I can make an extra $10 million here with no effort."

avanti said:
Whenever a company hires a new CEO the first thing the CEO looks at is how to increase profits to reward the BOD and stock holders. When Discovery Channel got a new CEO I read about his cost cutting ideas (no mention of the cycling team at first). Then a few weeks later he did not renew the contract with the cycling team. "Hey - I can make an extra $10 million here with no effort."

Curiously, the last time I walked through the local, very large, regional mall, I noticed that the RadioShack was gone and in it's place there was a photo studio taking portraits like these:

holidays093.jpg

TRENDING THREADS