Radioshack-Leopard Trek

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Guest
KuotaRocket said:
So, are you guys all die hard Lampre, Liquigas, Movistar fan boys or something? I still don't get the hate.

This Becca guy is a businessman. This is a business. He saw the opportunity to improve and he did it. He not only improved his roster, but he brought in sponsors to pay the bills. Whatever you think of Bruyneel, he's a better manager than Nygard. Maybe with experience Nygard will prove himself better, but Becca wants to win now. And frankly, he doesn't care what you think, he's not trying to win a forum contest, he wants to win the Tour period. Can you really blame the guy? If he's telling the truth, that CSE wasn't going to renew their license January 1, 2012, then he gets credit.

Chess, cycling, and business are games of strategy. The merger, takeover, whatever it's called was interesting to me. I'm not a prosecutor, that's for another forum called the clinic. I'm a cyclist, not professional racer. And a businessman. And it's clear to me that the investment RadioShack is making, is to gain exposure in Europe, probably through micros stores and kiosk sites. Nissan has a presence there too. These are not huge budgets for them. Nissan spent over 690 MILLION in the USA alone in 2009 and then increased it 100 million this year. RadioShack is a far smaller, so they have much more to gain.

For the haters, the real RadioShack is gone.
For the haters, Andy is still there, and more powerful than ever.
For the rest of us? It's just entertainment. Don't forget that.
The strength of this team is going to make the other teams step up, and try harder to lure sponsorship. And that's where there are other "Beccas" willing to take their skill and bring it to this game.
I hate for the pure enjoyment of hating. It warms my cockles to feel that superior feeling hate gives. It makes me happy.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Dr. Maserati said:
The Radioshack deal (as a sponsor) always puzzled me - because as you rightly point out they have little business outside the US and none in Europe.
We were in Edinburgh two weeks ago for the Fringe, and guess what, theres a radioshack shop. Granted its not very big, only single fronted, and we didnt go in, but they do have one.

Maybe we will see Leopard announce a swathe of Scottish cylists to take advantage of their clear strategic market in Gods Country.

And no, I have no idea why there is a sole stray Radioshack in Scotland. Very odd.

Its not even listed on their website, but it does have its own website radioshack.uk.com
 
Arnout said:
Although Nygaard deserves to be fired for his stupid comments about integrity. Did he forget what he did last year?
The sad thing is that Andy & Frank have gone off the grid when this little bomb went off. I know its not team Shleck but they were a big part of orchestrating the move to Leopard at the end of 2010. I’m sure a lot of the riders put their faith in a 4-year project to be now be left high and dry and any riders who’s not a Tour GT rider can forget about any team support during the year.
 
Jul 4, 2009
9,666
0
0
Thoughtforfood said:
I hate for the pure enjoyment of hating. It warms my cockles to feel that superior feeling hate gives. It makes me happy.
...ahhh...a man after my own bile duct...

Cheers

blutto
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,645
0
0
HL2037 said:
Yes. This year Leopard already had the strongest team - that didn't help a lot, did it. Go on and fire all management, the Schlecks are the problem, and there is no (legal) way Bruyneel can fix that.
they weren't nearly strong enough tho. No team controlled the race, leopard tried failed. Only time they did something well was when andy won. Otherwise they always hit the final climb isolated because they burnt their matches way to early.
 
Aug 1, 2009
1,038
0
0
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
they weren't nearly strong enough tho. No team controlled the race, leopard tried failed. Only time they did something well was when andy won. Otherwise they always hit the final climb isolated because they burnt their matches way to early.
I don't want the days back where Bruyneel's team "controlled" the race. That would be a major setback for the sport.
 
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
they weren't nearly strong enough tho. No team controlled the race, leopard tried failed. Only time they did something well was when andy won. Otherwise they always hit the final climb isolated because they burnt their matches way to early.
We have to get away from the thought process of teams controlling races. It won’t happen again. Well it might but we’ll know why. Teams can ride on the front for periods of time. Riders can have a faithful lieutenant in the mountains but gone are the days of one team owning an entire race. The previous poster is correct. Leopard had a very good team this year. They had several established cyclists riding for the team but they still got beat.
 

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
thehog said:
The sad thing is that Andy & Frank have gone off the grid when this little bomb went off. I know its not team Shleck but they were a big part of orchestrating the move to Leopard at the end of 2010. I’m sure a lot of the riders put their faith in a 4-year project to be now be left high and dry and any riders who’s not a Tour GT rider can forget about any team support during the year.
It would have been a lot easier if Andy and Frank had signed with Radioshack-Nissan-Trek last year instead of starting their own team.

Bruyneel tried to sign them then, didn't he?
He has had his eye on Andy for a while at least.
But Andy turned him down and went with real estate maven Becca.
In hindsight big mistake.
Bruyneel had to go and buy the whole team.
Go over Andy's head this time around.
Well, at least they got Becca to pay for the license.
Silver lining.

BTW, here is the link to the Radioshack-Nissan-Trek extension.
Way back in late june early july.

http://www.teamradioshack.us/radioshack-trek-nissan-sponsors-two-more-years/

Of course, those sponsors do not care about Luxembourg.
Sorry Luxemburgers here on the forum.
No kiosks. No plans for new dealerships.

Except that Andy and Frank are from Luxembourg.
And Bruyneel says they will get great publicity.
In California, Colorado, and at the Big Dance in France.

Bruyneel is right of course.
He usually is.
 
Jul 26, 2011
452
0
0
Of course, those sponsors do not care about Luxembourg.
Sorry Luxemburgers here on the forum.
No kiosks. No plans for new dealerships.
I think the Luxusbourgers are doing just fine without Radiokiosks and more Nissan dealerships than they already have.
 

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
Nielsa said:
I think the Luxusbourgers are doing just fine without Radiokiosks and more Nissan dealerships than they already have.
I agree.
That was one of my points.
 

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
TeamSkyFans said:
and that once more just links to Bruyneels blog post. Its not an official statement. its just JB BS

That the radioshack fan site. Nothing new there. You still havent provided a link where it officially says the deal was extended. On that basis, anything I put on the sky fansite is official.
C'mon TSF, get serious.
Bruyneel is the Head of the Team.
He makes the announcement.
What part is not true?

Johan said:
“Even before the Tour has started, I have some great newsfor you. RadioShack, Nissan and Trek have all renewed their sponsorships for 2 additional years! The riders and staff are extremely grateful for the support we have received from these companies (and our other sponsors). And we are glad that they find tremendous value in partnering with our team. It’s nice for us all to go into the Tour knowing we have this support and can focus on the race!”

Congratulations to the team, and we fans are a happy bunch!
http://www.teamradioshack.us/radioshack-trek-nissan-sponsors-two-more-years/
 
"As noted by Radsport News, Mercedes Benz underlined that it has an agreed sponsorship agreement running for two more years. “The consequences of the recent decisions of the Leopard SA must now be discussed between the parties,” it warned.



do you know how will the Shimano sponsorship end or continue? and Bontrager helmets too? and Northwave?

(radioshack and nissan probably will bring Sram and Giro helmets too)
 

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
TeamSkyFans said:
On that basis, anything I put on the sky fansite is official.
If you put a quote by Brailsford on your fansite, I would hope it would be real.
But if you do not believe Bruyneel's quote - that is ok with me.

But that is the official announcement.
I can not give you any more.
Please stop asking me for one.

If you believe some conspiracy that Radioshack-Nissan-Trek did NOT sign on for an extension way back when - fine.
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,246
0
0
An interesting, long interview with Becca in French:

http://www.lequotidien.lu/les-sports/26942.html

"We have a big and beautiful airplane with two co-pilots and a good crew, but there is a captain missing"

"I discussed it with the brothers Schleck, and they were completely behind the project. If it is doable, they said, then we support the arrival of Bruyneel"

"Kim Andersen (...) was happy at the arrival of Bruyneel and said that he is ready to work with him"
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,645
0
0
HL2037 said:
I don't want the days back where Bruyneel's team "controlled" the race. That would be a major setback for the sport.
you are of course right.
But I still disagree that leopard were that great this year.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
Polish said:
If you put a quote by Brailsford on your fansite, I would hope it would be real.
But if you do not believe Bruyneel's quote - that is ok with me.

But that is the official announcement.
I can not give you any more.
Please stop asking me for one.

If you believe some conspiracy that Radioshack-Nissan-Trek did NOT sign on for an extension way back when - fine.
You just proved Dim's point for him. Despite your searching the only confirmation comes from Johan.

Why is it Radioshack never announced it or would even confirm it to the media?
 
May 13, 2009
3,093
0
0
Christian said:
An interesting, long interview with Becca in French:

http://www.lequotidien.lu/les-sports/26942.html

"We have a big and beautiful airplane with two co-pilots and a good crew, but there is a captain missing"

"I discussed it with the brothers Schleck, and they were completely behind the project. If it is doable, they said, then we support the arrival of Bruyneel"

"Kim Andersen (...) was happy at the arrival of Bruyneel and said that he is ready to work with him"
So the Schlecks are the co-pilots and the captain is missing? Are they going to hire Bertie then? Or is it the LA comeback 3.0? Something isn't right in this analogy.
 
Apr 9, 2011
3,034
1
0
Christian said:
An interesting, long interview with Becca in French:

http://www.lequotidien.lu/les-sports/26942.html

"We have a big and beautiful airplane with two co-pilots and a good crew, but there is a captain missing"

"I discussed it with the brothers Schleck, and they were completely behind the project. If it is doable, they said, then we support the arrival of Bruyneel"

"Kim Andersen (...) was happy at the arrival of Bruyneel and said that he is ready to work with him"
So Fränk and Andy screwed over Saxo and got everyone to join them for the new project, then screw some (or all if you think that keeping this to themselves is screwing your mates) their mutiny mates - then expect the riders left to work for them in the mths - a mess to say the least
 
Cobblestones said:
So the Schlecks are the co-pilots and the captain is missing? Are they going to hire Bertie then? Or is it the LA comeback 3.0? Something isn't right in this analogy.
I think he means the Hog is the captain - the missing piece.
 
Jul 25, 2011
2,007
1
0
Cobblestones said:
So the Schlecks are the co-pilots and the captain is missing? Are they going to hire Bertie then? Or is it the LA comeback 3.0? Something isn't right in this analogy.
I think this fussion will be the funniest and the worst thing for cycling in years. Still 10 months to Tdf:mad:
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY