• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the 2012 Tour route

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How would you rate the 2012 Tour de France route?

• 1 (utter crap)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'd say why you assume the descents will decide sooo much? ;) I guess a better descender skill increases someones chances on about 0.5%, maybe a bit more over the guys like Basso.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

Lol at that video description!

"One of Belgium's worst scandals. This road did cost 300.000 euros to belgian tax payers (Belgium is a tiny country known for political corruption and denial of democracy)"

And that out of the mouth of a Russian.

Only one vid for such a fail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkfVdrtLcRs

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
What do you think that Nibali has in his arsenal that Sanchez doesnt that puts him on the list but not Samy?
Other than a GT win of course

A team and youth. Better descending skills as well.

Samu has better time trial skills though. And better climbing skills, but I'm afraid that won't matter all too much in this Tour.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
A team and youth. Better descending skills as well.

Samu has better time trial skills though. And better climbing skills, but I'm afraid that won't matter all too much in this Tour.

OK. How can better descending skill and team work affect on the result more than climbing and TT's? Do you see Liquigas on the front or they'll start on the descends instead of the ascents?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
OK. How can better descending skill and team work affect on the result more than climbing and TT's? Do you see Liquigas on the front or they'll start on the descends instead of the ascents?

The mountain stages are easy and quite a few descend finishes. But I don't rate Nibali over Samu. I'm just listing Nibali's arsenal of weapons where he's better than Samu.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
The mountain stages are easy and quite a few descend finishes. But I don't rate Nibali over Samu. I'm just listing Nibali's arsenal of weapons where he's better than Samu.

Well, I just find a team work to be a bit conditional factor in terms of the mountains stages if this team is not USP or Liquigas on the Giro'10. Surely, they'll protect Nibali on the flat, but if he will be not good on the climbs, neither Szmyd nor someone else will salvage him. Talking about Nibali's attempt to attack is funny at all. I don't get why you're so confident hes a better descender than Samu but still we should remember, they attack on the descends either having much strength left after the uphills or in case some of contenders is isolated. In all other cases the descends are ridden very conservatively. Considering how Nibali looked this year, I don't think hell survive among the best up to the descend, if Contador or somebody else will decide to make fire. Moreover, not all of them are suitable for attack.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Descender said:
Or Andy Schleck (see de France 2012, Tour, stage to Gap).

It was not an average case. Hard to say whether they would have let him on Izoard, if he hadn't lost on that stage. But Schleck can be bold and descend not bad, I'm sure. He won about 20 sec on the descent from Col du Romme from Nibali who attacked Wiggo and LA then.

I'm not sure if this is being discussed somewhere else by now, but....

Gilbert:
When asked about Andy Schleck's chances of winning the Tour one day, Gilbert sounded quite cautious: “When there is a very mountainous Tour without too much time trial, he has got a chance. But only if [Alberto] Contador is not at his best. Perhaps [Schleck] has missed his biggest chance to win - in 2011.”

Exactly my thoughts.

he gambled and lost.contador's all or nothing,rage attack and cadel's bad-asz attitude took his tour.
if on izoard-galibier stage,andy would have been chased by zandio and chente of caisse d'epargne just like floyd in 2006,now you would read andy schleck,tour de france 2011 winner.

i still think there is a possibility for the schlecks to do il giro

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
If anything the balance of TT to mountains in the TdF and Giro should really be telling Andy "go away, have a crack at the Giro, then come back and try and win the tour".