• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the Giro 2018

How good was the Giro?

Votes: 25 14.7%

Votes: 66 38.8%

Votes: 36 21.2%

Votes: 15 8.8%

Votes: 9 5.3%

Votes: 3 1.8%

Votes: 3 1.8%

Votes: 1 0.6%

Votes: 2 1.2%

Votes: 10 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So the Giro is basically over now and we are all going into depression until the Dauphine starts next Sunday.

I think consensus is it has been a great race objectively, even if some people didn't like the outcome or the way it happened. Definitely one of the better Giro I have seen since I started following the other GTs 11 years ago. So Im gonna go ahead and give it 8 - it hasn't been good enough for a 9. Only the Giro in 2010 and 2015 were better IMO.

Edit: Aight the poll doesn't work, so... anyone? :D

Yes, an 8 for me as well.

A lot to love about it - it was a great drama. There was panache and big rises + big falls. Unpredictability. The magila rosa on the attack. A terrible/shocking/great resurrection. It bubbled and simmered along until it exploded in the last week. Froome in pink, Pinot in an ambulance.....you kind of sit there a bit dazed thinking 'what just happened there??'

That's what you want from a GT. It's theater.

Actually I've already voted, but I'm changing to 9.

8 for me as well, enjoyed most of it although the final winner leaves a bit of a bitter taste, and I'm sad Tibo completely collapsed.
Hightlights for me were Gran Sasso, Mohoric' win and the stage Yates won by attacking on the punchy hill with Dumoulin coming closer and closer in the final KM.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
9 for me.

Have to say, that during past years Giro and Vuelta are more interesting for me than bore fest called Tour de France. This Giro was really entertaining for me, a lot of twists, a lot of action of GC guys and 19th stage in a fashion I did not believe I can see again. I am really happy for all the riders who made the race entertaining and I hope that those guys who cracked heavily will have other opportunities to be in Top 3 in GT. Many thanks to all of them for great show!

7 for me

The Jafferau stage was epic, and the Sappada stage was very good. Save for these two stages, the rest of the Giro has been pretty mediocre, not on par with the 05, 10 and 16 versions. I also withdraw at least one point because of two many of the favorites being out of form (Aru, Chaves) or collapsing (Yates, Pinot). Only Froome, Dumolin and Lopez have been in a pretty decent shape the whole Giro.

Great also because Froome ans his team showed signs of weakness allowing the competition to make things more interesting. I liked the 3rd week turnover between the favourites.
What I didn't like about this Giro is Aru's and Yates' total meltdowns

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
All things considered, 1.
If I unplug my brain, 9.

It was better (for me) than any recent TdF (As Giro usually is) but the same suspension of disbelief is required.

Suspending disbelief: Froome's Zoncolan was a taste of things to come. His total ambush of the race on Friday was absolutely stunning. Up there with Bahamontes, Coppi, Hinault etc. Truly one of the most epic events in GT cycling ever.

Not suspending disbelief: An irritating farce, for reasons best left in the clinic

Either way, Yates enlivened the race. Dumoulin did little. Pinot did what he usually does which is not deliver. I enjoyed it, but rightly or wrongly I cannot stomach Froome.

What rating can one give to a race won by someone who shouldn't have started and who might be stripped later of his title. As a circus, a solid 9. As a sports event one solid point for those poor riders who gave everything without realizing they are part of a circus.

An excellent Giro, only 2010 and 2015 were better in recent times.
I gave it an 8, it would have probably been a 9 if Froome hadn't completely destroyed the competition and gained only 1 to 2 minutes in the Finestre stage. hence being forced to go all out again yesterday.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Also something I have been thinking about (and not sure where to post it):
This Giro shows why GTs should stay 3 weeks long and not be shortened to 18 day or *shudder* 2 weeks.
Thank you.
Can't be stressed enough.

If ever the Giro is shortened to two weeks, I'll stop following it entirely.

Re:

SafeBet said:
An excellent Giro, only 2010 and 2015 were better in recent times.
I gave it an 8, it would have probably been a 9 if Froome hadn't completely destroyed the competition and gained only 1 to 2 minutes in the Finestre stage. hence being forced to go all out again yesterday.
Yeah agree. My 8 is a high 8 though, but I felt it missed a little something on the last stage in Aosta which had some great potential, but the race was pretty much over so it became a bit of a snooze.